IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Need some help!!

Errol

A few years ago I suggested to a very dear friend of mine who goes by the name of Michael Fortune and email: Edit: email address removed(Please Admin remove my friend's email after viewing this post)[/b] He fell in love with it immediately and went about and purchased your software which to date he loves very much and still thanks me for suggesting this software to him.

However last weekend gone Saturday 12, 2013 he told me he could not do anything on his PC because he went to a website and the website sent him to another website to access some info. In so doing he was hit instantly with a set of stuff that started to infiltrate his system and it installed some sort of scanner saying its finding all type of malware etc. Strange enough IOBIT software did not pick up on the invasion or intrusion if that is the right words I'm saying.

The spyware or malware was so severe that I could not even get Task Manager to open. When I right click on My Computer icon to open Manage that too could not open. I even went to folder options to show hidden files and folders and that too refused to show the hidden file and folders. Then I tried to open IOBIT ASCP6 that too just looked like it would start and then it stopped. That was how severe the thing was with my friend's PC. BTW his system is XPSP3 Pro.

Anyway, using my limited knowledge I had to use a CD that I own ERD Commander to boot from it and delete the rogue program which resided in the App/data folder and the shortcut it created on the desktop. Before I forget to mention I did right click the rogue program's desktop icon and found where it installed itself. So I restarted the system and start IOBIT ASCP6 and did a system scan and it found a whole lot of stuff and a Babylon Toolbar etc. After the scan everything was back to normal.

Now I have 3 questions to ask;

1) how come that IOBIT ASCP6 did not pick up on the intrusion of a spyware or malware on my friend's PC?

#) I updated the software and it said it was already updated after doing an online check.

2) When I click on the About IOBIT ASCP6 it said you have 306 days and expired November 2013. Can you explain this to me? My friend was shocked when I showed him in the About page and he said to me I have to re-purchase this item again?

I told him to get to the Forum and ask a question or query. But he being the person he is will not bother to do such, so I took it upon myself to ask the question.

3) Will my friend have to pay for this program all over again?

Errol

ASC did not pick it up because it is not malware. Your friend was a victim of a scam. This scan offers a scan of your machine and always produces a long list of problems to be solved. It then screws up your machine unless you pay to download its fix program. Of course there is nothing to fix and you wouldpay your money for nothing. SO TELL YOUR FRIEND NOT TO RUN SCANS HE DID NOT ASK FOR.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding having to pay for ASC again. You say...

2) When I click on the About IOBIT ASCP6 it said you have 306 days and expired November 2013. Can you explain this to me? My friend was shocked when I showed him in the About page and he said to me I have to re-purchase this item again?

This indicates that you have 10 months remaining on your licence....so what is the problem

Thanks for your reply. Yes that was the thing a scam to force him to buy the program. But strange enough he did not ask it to run any scan it just started to do it for itself. Anyway I see your point why ASC did not pick it up.

As for the licence...All the while he thought it was a one time fee he had to pay for ASC. I'll let him know that though.

An update; I contacted my friend (Michael Fortune) this evening, after he came from work and relayed what I wrote in the forum and the reply to the questions posted and in his opinion he thinks that ASC should've picked up that program as a Malware or spyware and he's totally disatisfied with the performance of ASC. He said that after the expiry of this program he'll no longer be interested in it. He told me he's even contemplating to completely remove ASC from his system. He said he might go with Kaspersky instead.

Errol

I am sorry to hear that your friend is still unhappy. However, your friend seems to be confused as to the difference between malware/viruses and scams. ASC is a cleaning & optimising optimising Utility which has a malware function but does not have malware realtime protection. If your friend upgraded to ASC Ultimate 6 he would have realtime protection which may have prevented him from entering the dangerous site. If he does not wish to upgrade to ASCU 6, he could install Iobit Malware Fighter, which would give him Realtime Protection.

I wish your friend well, whatever he decides.

Hi Errol.

I welcome you to the forum but there are some things that aren't logical in your posts...

Why would you post "your friend's" email address on an open forum and ask that it be immediately removed?:shock:

Edit: email address removed(Please Admin remove my friend's email after viewing this post
Then I tried to open IOBIT ASCP6 that too just looked like it would start and then it stopped
ASCP6 doesn't purport to ba an Antivirus program...! Where is the leap to this??

What is your friend's true anti-virus and firewall??

As Scannan posts:

your friend seems to be confused as to the difference between malware/viruses and scams. ASC is a cleaning & optimising optimising Utility which has a malware function but does not have malware realtime protection
What your friend encountered is a form of malware called scareware. It will entice individuals to download harmful softwares (infections) or take the individuals $ for nothing.

What is your friend's full security package??? Do not blame ASC for this. ASC has never been purported to be a full protection... only an augmentation. ASCU including the bitdefender engine more closely approaches this.

Your friend should be more careful on the websites he/she visits as well. He/she should also use an effective firewall to prevent these issues. (There are a number of precautions more that I could recommend)

The bottom line is that your friend should not blame a software for its inability to do what it is not designed to do and make sure the proper protections are in place. (If your car gets a flat tire... do you sue the manufacturer of the motor oil)?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hello Melvin. Firstly the reason I posted my friends email by his permission, is to confirm by the seller of the product that his email and purchase is legit and not otherwise thats the reason. I only asked for it to be removed after an Admin who sees it may verify his purchase and for my friend's privacy & security thats all.

"Then I tried to open IOBIT ASCP6 that too just looked like it would start and then it stopped." [/Quote]

Just as I said, when his PC was infected and I went to his home and saw the state of his PC the first thing I tried to do was open ASC to see if it would do a system scan to find the infection, but it was so badly infected that ASC would not open not until I rebooted and worked from the ERD Commander CD and deleted the rogue program, then restart the system then I was able to open ASC and do a system scan.

On a sidenote I did some research and found it to be a Java security flaw

When I realized the problem I told my friend that it was not any fault of ASC but he's so bull headed that he felt that ASC should've detected the problem.

And please I'm not criticizing your product, because I'll still recommend this program to all my friends and relatives.

EDIT: I was writing this when you added the other...He has Microsoft Security Essentials as his Anti-virus. We had a very long discussion on this matter this evening, showing him that ASC is not at fault and it took me quite awhile to convince him until I showed him several sites which posted the Java security flaw. So he might still reconsider after I tried to convince him.

Hi Errol.

Hello Melvin. Firstly the reason I posted my friends email by his permission, is to confirm by the seller of the product that his email and purchase is legit and not otherwise thats the reason. I only asked for it to be removed after an Admin who sees it may verify his purchase and for my friend's privacy & security thats all.

Just as I said, when his PC was infected and I went to his home and saw the state of his PC the first thing I tried to do was open ASC to see if it would do a system scan to find the infection, but it was so badly infected that ASC would not open not until I rebooted and worked from the ERD Commander CD and deleted the rogue program, then restart the system then I was able to open ASC and do a system scan.

When I realized the problem I told my friend that it was not any fault of ASC but he's so bull headed that he felt that ASC should've detected the problem.

And please I'm not criticizing your product, because I'll still recommend this program to all my friends and relatives.

This is an open forum... all posts here as on all open forums are browsed by search-engine bots gathering keywords to make their searches more accurate. The spammers also harvest information on the open web. Through much work by the others... we have kept this forum spam-free.:wink:

(just so you know)

You seem to be knowledgable by this. Outdated/flawed Java is often a source of weakness... there are tools to deal with this. What is your friend's primary protection and firewall... also the OS if you don't mind??

Please understand that it was your friend's consent that most likely allowed this infection... your friend didn't understand. By moving through the windows in scareware and rogueware you accept the downloads(even if you don't see).

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Errol.

To be honest I'm not sure how I can help.:shock:

Perhaps you could have your friend visit the forum to see and learn for her/himself??

If you wish we could perhaps show him/her how to properly protect?:wink: I know that the assistance will be provided if asked!

Sincerely,

-Mel

live long and prosper!

Thank You Scannan

...ASC is a cleaning & optimising Utility which has a malware function but does not have malware realtime protection. If your friend upgraded to ASC Ultimate 6 he would have realtime protection which may have prevented him from entering the dangerous site. If he does not wish to upgrade to ASCU 6, he could install Iobit Malware Fighter, which would give him Realtime Protection.

I wish your friend well, whatever he decides.

I did do a small research about ASC and you are quite correct about your info.

I informed him (Michael Fortune) about the key benefits of ASC and what its intended to do. So he understood the purpose of the program after I explained it to him and he accepted and settled with the info.

Archived