IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartDefrag startup problem

I have selected the option to start SD on startup and have used the Apply button to make the changes. However, when Windows is restarted, SD doesn't start. How can I get SD to start with Windows?

I have Windows Vista with SP1.

I have uninstalled SD and re-installed. I still can't get it to startup with Windows.

Windows Defender Blocks Startup

The program won't run either by checking Load Automatically at Windows Startup nor by putting a shortcut in the Startup Folder. Running Vista w/ SP1. Windows Defender brings up a notice that it has blocked the automatic start of the program and gives me the option of then manually starting it, or exiting. I wrote to Microsoft using the Windows Defender form telling them of these details but they wrote back saying it wasn't WD doing this--in spite of my own eyes reading the Windows Defender notification box over the icon on the task bar where it blocked the program from running. They wrote "Based on the behaviors described we have reason to believe the issue you are reporting is not related to Windows Defender." I wanted Microsoft to put the program on the whitehat list so on a signature update for WD it wouldn't block the Smart Defrag auto start. I guess Microsoft doesn't believe I can read. In any event they don't seem willing to have Windows Defender keep from blocking this program.

How are you all getting around this, those of you running Smart Defrag as Auto Start? Microsoft thought it was an issue with the User Account Control (UAC) feature but no amount of reading will show how any adjustments to the UAC will permit Smart Defrag to run as Administrator when I log on as a standard user, which I do exclusively.

Any help to Auto Start this program with Vista?

John

please starchase

How did you download the program? Did you remove the blocking before installing. Is that an option in Vista?

I am sorry but I am not familiar with Vista, but I always remove the blocking before installing in XP, and I have never seen the problem you mention with Windows Defender.

What other security measures do you have?

Cheers

solbjerg

The program won't run either by checking Load Automatically at Windows Startup nor by putting a shortcut in the Startup Folder. Running Vista w/ SP1. Windows Defender brings up a notice that it has blocked the automatic start of the program and gives me the option of then manually starting it, or exiting. I wrote to Microsoft using the Windows Defender form telling them of these details but they wrote back saying it wasn't WD doing this--in spite of my own eyes reading the Windows Defender notification box over the icon on the task bar where it blocked the program from running. They wrote "Based on the behaviors described we have reason to believe the issue you are reporting is not related to Windows Defender." I wanted Microsoft to put the program on the whitehat list so on a signature update for WD it wouldn't block the Smart Defrag auto start. I guess Microsoft doesn't believe I can read. In any event they don't seem willing to have Windows Defender keep from blocking this program.

How are you all getting around this, those of you running Smart Defrag as Auto Start? Microsoft thought it was an issue with the User Account Control (UAC) feature but no amount of reading will show how any adjustments to the UAC will permit Smart Defrag to run as Administrator when I log on as a standard user, which I do exclusively.

Any help to Auto Start this program with Vista?

John

please starchase

How did you download the program? Did you remove the blocking before installing. Is that an option in Vista?

What other security measures do you have?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello:

I just installed it the same way I've installed all my other programs, including Avast antvirus, nothing different. I ran the setup executable as Administrator and it installed. There is nothing in Vista to run it any other way, as far as removing blocking goes I know of no such thing. It installs just fine. It removes the older version then installs the 1.02 version. Nothing out of the ordinary. All the other programs I've installed have not exhibited this phenomenon, even Proxomitron that runs out of the Startup Folder.

Must be a Windows Defender thing. Even adding the shortcut and the program itself to the area where you avoid scanning certain files, it still blocks it from Startup. Any other Vista users finding this?

I can always just manually run the program after boot up and login are complete. But kinda defeats the Load Automatically on Windows Startup.

Or, maybe there is something in the Smart Defrag program itself that causes this hiccup?

John

Hello John

The automatic uninstallation that goes on when you install, does remove the program but not the folder and any extra files that has been generated by some possible trouble you have had. It often works ok though, but some leftover files may cause trouble.

So a clean install might help.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello:

I just installed it the same way I've installed all my other programs, including Avast antvirus, nothing different. I ran the setup executable as Administrator and it installed. There is nothing in Vista to run it any other way, as far as removing blocking goes I know of no such thing. It installs just fine. It removes the older version then installs the 1.02 version. Nothing out of the ordinary. All the other programs I've installed have not exhibited this phenomenon, even Proxomitron that runs out of the Startup Folder.

Must be a Windows Defender thing. Even adding the shortcut and the program itself to the area where you avoid scanning certain files, it still blocks it from Startup. Any other Vista users finding this?

I can always just manually run the program after boot up and login are complete. But kinda defeats the Load Automatically on Windows Startup.

Or, maybe there is something in the Smart Defrag program itself that causes this hiccup?

John

start up

Hi John and starchaser-Win XP guy here-does Vista have a start up option that you can access through msconfig ? I run a selective startup-see if ISD is definitely marked for startup also try to exclude Windows defender-see if that verifies your suspicions-also, as Solbjerg pointed out, you might want to search out any remnants of the previous installs and eliminate them-on a personal note,Win defender is not the sharpest tool in the shed-and could be replaced with more efficient freeware-I know it's frustrating when it "plays nicely" with your other apps.-but something to consider-great day and God bless

I was mistaken, it wasn't Windows Defender, it was the UAC. Here's a stement from Help under the topic "Run or remove blocked startup programs" that applies:

"If a program that you want to run at startup is being blocked, check the publisher's website to see if there is an updated version of the program available that doesn't require permission or an administrator password to run."

Otherwise there is nothing a user can do to get the program to automatically run at startup.

Is Iobit checking this out?

John

"Remove Blocking"

Thanks, no I hadn't read that but its pretty basic. Though I've never heard of "remove blocking" and there was no elaboration. If someone has experience with that concept it probably would solve this situation. There is no Unblocking button appearing in the Properties applet of the executable. I've Googled it but find no help yet.

I'm trying the Task Scheduler to see if that works. I'll post back.

John

Hi John

If you download the .exe file to a folder or to your desktop, and right click and choose properties, before doing anything else, you ought to see an unblocking option. Do that and then close and click on the .exe file to install it.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks, no I hadn't read that but its pretty basic. Though I've never heard of "remove blocking" and there was no elaboration. If someone has experience with that concept it probably would solve this situation. There is no Unblocking button appearing in the Properties applet of the executable. I've Googled it but find no help yet.

I'm trying the Task Scheduler to see if that works. I'll post back.

John

Ok starchase

But did you uninstall the program first and remove its folder and clean the registry, before clicking install??

Cheers

solbjerg

Nope, choosing the Unblock option in the Properties applet of the downloaded setup executable had no different effect. It still gets blocked on Startup.

Thanks for your last 2 replies.

No, I didn't scour the Registry after I removed the program yesterday. I just removed it and reinstalled it today doing the Unblock thing. I'm not going to do the Firewall thing since a launch of a defrag program upon startup has nothing to do with the Firewall.

At this point I've done what is reasonable to get the "Lauch on Windows Startup" option in the program to work. It just isn't working. I'm giving up. It is absurd to have to work this hard to do something so simple. Even installing an anti-virus program doesn't start this "blocking" behavior!

I'll just start the program manually. Hopefully the author of the program will make the appropriate corrections in the near future.

Regards!

John

Hi John

Could it be that you just don't click apply when you go into settings and choose that it should start up with windows?

Or do you perhaps remove that startup item in Advanced WindowsCare?

I tried removing it from my startup in AWC and then opening SmartDefrag and choosing that it should start up with Windows, then a restart and voila the Smartdefrag was back in the startup items in AWC.

So I am now almost convinced that you have forgotten to click Apply after choosing the setting.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for your last 2 replies.

No, I didn't scour the Registry after I removed the program yesterday. I just removed it and reinstalled it today doing the Unblock thing. I'm not going to do the Firewall thing since a launch of a defrag program upon startup has nothing to do with the Firewall.

At this point I've done what is reasonable to get the "Lauch on Windows Startup" option in the program to work. It just isn't working. I'm giving up. It is absurd to have to work this hard to do something so simple. Even installing an anti-virus program doesn't start this "blocking" behavior!

I'll just start the program manually. Hopefully the author of the program will make the appropriate corrections in the near future.

Regards!

John

Suggestions from a Vista Premium user

Hi John,

I understand your frustration with this problem as I have my own of a different nature (more on that later). Let me share some ideas with you, perhaps we can help each other.

* Solbjerg * in one of John's first posts he already stated that he had made sure he applied the changes, and I fully agree with him: a person should not have to jump through all these hoops for such a seemingly simple problem.

However, as we probably all can attest, nothing's ever as straightforward as we might like to think. Keep in mind, no one computer configuration is exactlythe same. There are always some minor variations in programs installed, settings, and hardware.

I do not have this problem, and am running Vista Premium 32bit, however I am also running version 1.0 of SD. Options - General: all items checked. Under defragment options the only thing checked is "Stop defrag while using battery" (this is a laptop), the smart silent and skip large files are not. Under auto defrag, all 3 items are checked.

As for AV/AS I use Spyware Doctor 6.0 w/av. It automatically disables Windows Defender (doesn't like it much, neither do I).

Next thing I would check would be the task scheduler. In mine the AutoSmartDefrag task is set to run at logon of any user, run only when user is logged on, and run with highest privileges. The command line shows the path to the executable with the option "/startup". If this task IS present, then there should be a history tab that might shed some light on the problem. I would also check the system and security event logs to see what is doing the startup blocking. I hope some of that helps you out. If not, check back & I'll see what I can do to help you.

My Vista problem with IObit SmartDefrag ? It wipes out my restore points when doing a manual full defrag/optimize.. see: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1432

I will probably try version 1.02 before abandoning SD fully as I prefer to have control of this function myself rather than have Vista doing a constant defrag (which it does).

Good Luck

Chris

:mrgreen:

I checked my restore points and I have a lot of them, so fortunately the defrag hasn't deleted mine.

I don't have Advanced Windows Care.

When I was doing the evaluation work a couple days ago I did notice that when logged on to the administrator account the Task Scheduler did show Smart Defrag as set to load by any user logged on. But obviously that wasn't really the case since it always failed when I logged on with my daily user account.

No big deal, I don't really need it running all the time, and I can manually start it when I want to.

Indeed, even with the same OS installed our configurations are always different to some degree. Maybe in the future Smart Defrag will work as intended for us all, if indeed it is the fault of the program itself. Else, why do all other program installs work OK?

Hi Starchase, i haven't had this problem before. Try this, right click on the SD icon, select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and then click as run as administrator and apply. You can try to check the box to run it as WinXP.

Man oh man im getting tired of these spammers

Hi Starchase, i haven't had this problem before. Try this, right click on the SD icon, select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and then click as run as administrator and apply. You can try to check the box to run it as WinXP.

That option is grayed out. It is OK when logged in as Administrator, but logged in as a user it is grayed out. So that won't work. I tried it when logged in as an Administrator but it won't transfer when logged in as a user. Thanks anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived