IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC6.1.9.221 causes black screen on boot up

SG9

I just suicided my XP Operating System cause something caused an earlier black screen after boot up. That earlier black screen stays black for 180 seconds. It seems to be after ASC6.1 updated and I ran the all checked options cleaning function.

I tried everything I could to save the O/S but in the end I formated the drive and reinstalled the XP O/S, SP3 and all 166 updates. It booted just fine everytime I added a program. Till ASC.

I installed ASC6.1 from an free trial version I download from the website several weeks ago and after installing, it reported a newer version to download. I did that and it installed just fine. I rebooted no problem. I ran a deep clean of all options and upon reboot the O/S loaded till the XP loading animation and then goes to a black screen again for 200 seconds.

The deep cleaning ripped something out of either the registry or a system file and I did the rescue option to the previous state and still got the the black screen for 200 seconds. So, if the rescue returns the registry to the before state, than something else was ripped out and deleted or changed during cleaning.

I have the cleaning report log. That log is 113 kb and larger than the 50kb upload allowed.

Hi SG9,

To help us look into this issue, please kindly let us know more detailed informatio9n:

1) What is the version of your Advanced SystemCare? Is it version 6.2?

2) When black screen happend, what items ASC is running?

Many thanks for your support and understanding.

Hi SG

In addition to Cicely I think it could be useful to know your amount of RAM and how much free and used space you have on your harddisk.

Have you read all the posts about the "deep cleaning"?

Did you also use the toolbox options?

About your report - it can either be sent as an attachment to an email to support@iobit.com or it can be zipped and attached to your post.

Please read about the IObit Products - links in my signature.

I also still use XP - I suppose we are among the last third of users still using that OS.

Cheers

solbjerg

I just suicided my XP Operating System cause something caused an earlier black screen after boot up. That earlier black screen stays black for 180 seconds. It seems to be after ASC6.1 updated and I ran the all checked options cleaning function.

I tried everything I could to save the O/S but in the end I formated the drive and reinstalled the XP O/S, SP3 and all 166 updates. It booted just fine everytime I added a program. Till ASC.

I installed ASC6.1 from an free trial version I download from the website several weeks ago and after installing, it reported a newer version to download. I did that and it installed just fine. I rebooted no problem. I ran a deep clean of all options and upon reboot the O/S loaded till the XP loading animation and then goes to a black screen again for 200 seconds.

The deep cleaning ripped something out of either the registry or a system file and I did the rescue option to the previous state and still got the the black screen for 200 seconds. So, if the rescue returns the registry to the before state, than something else was ripped out and deleted or changed during cleaning.

I have the cleaning report log. That log is 113 kb and larger than the 50kb upload allowed.

The version is in the title and that came from the AVS6 about dialog from the software program.

Ram should not have anything to do with the issue since everything worked till I did a clean with all 12 check options, checked from the expert screen. The rescue report says 1354 changes were made.

I suspected this program may have been the issue so when I setup the system with the fresh install of the O/S, I did an image of the partition before installing any programs. I rebooted after every install of programs to see what caused the issue. The issue appeared after I did the clean with 6.1.9.221. Is that version 6.2?

I will have to send the rescue report to support in a separate email since the forums upload only allows 50kb and the report file is 114kb.

OK, I DL'd & saved version 6.2. I know from my previous 4 day work on trying to recover the system boot up time back to booting smoothly by installing recover console, bootvis, combofix, cmd prompt with bootfix and fixmbr and many other registry and system tweaks, I could do nothing but format and install the O/S to get the system back to a fast running.

I would have re-imaged the system the first time this issue showed up, from an image I had on the hidden partition, but something corrupted that also. Can't say ASC did that since I was trying every trick in the windows book to recover.

I am going to try a system restore but it looks the restore point is when I installed the new O/S and maybe the updates. We'll see.

Hi SG9,

I would suggest to take an image of your disks to an external drive with a third party software such as Acronis, MacriumReflect, etc. to be on the safe side before tweaking your OS.

For XP, Recovery Console is a good thing to have it on the hard disk. You can search in the web how to do that and if you use Combofix with help in Spyware-Malware Removal Help! section, you can keep Recovery Consol on the PC.

Cheers.

Hold the presses............

I am in the process of a restore before I installed programs. I have been installing programs one by one with reboots and have not installed ASC6 yet.

I installed Ccleaner and did a reboot after a clean and I noticed a sleight pause with a black screen. Rebooted again and it was fine.

I next installed Comodo firewall and rebooted, again a sleight pause with the black screen. This install also installs Comodo Dragon web browser which is the google browser branded by Comodo as their Dragon browser.

I again did a Cclean of the system and rebooted AND, I had that long pause with a black screen.

I did a google search for mup.sys and it looks like that maybe the peep. Before all the formatting and reinstall the O/S I checked cmd boot with command prompt and saw it stopped at the mup.sys loading file and sat there.

This is what I have found:

Symptoms:

1. When booting in normal mode my windows XP system hangs after displaying the XP logo and progress bar. A black screen appears and then..

or 2. When booting windows XP in safe mode the last driver that shows loaded is mup.sys. Then...

or 3. Instead of XP freezing at mup.sys windows reboots itself repeatedly just after that driver loads.

From: http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

Since I have not done anything in registry, That can be ruled out. But, I noticed when the Dragon browser installed it had all the settings I had set up in the previous Dragon browser before I did a system restore. How did it remember that!

I'm not done digging this, tired yes, but not defeated.

Edit to ad: I set the system option to not reboot when boot failed so not go into an endless reboot. Thats why it hangs at mup.sys

Update:

I rebooted several times after and it seemed to be fine but I use a program manager when installing programs and seen ASC6 was still in the listing of being on my PC. I checked in the c/programs folder and indeed it was still their.

I had comodo programs manager rip it all out including any registry settings. I have had no problems with the black screen and have reloaded all my programs including the new version ASC6.2.

I have not done a cleaning because I have to set a restore point before that event just in case.

Obviously something crashed head on and it all fell apart. I'll update further after the deep clean method is thrown at my PC some time later. I will be very careful with any registry cleaning.

All programs installed fine, no black screen and finally installed ASC6.2. Did a restore point before cleaning.

Opened ASC6.2 and did a clean of the program checked options which is just 6 items to be cleaned. That included the registry fix, malware fix, privacy sweep, short cuts and internet boost. It reported 535 registry fixes needed.

I went ahead and clicked fix. :shock:

Rebooted and the boot up was fine, no problems. :lol:

I than did the other 6 clean functions and rebooted to a no problem boot up.

All is well and life goes on :grin:

Archived