IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Live Messenger.

Ted

Hi, All,

I don't use Windows Live Messenger very often, but when I wanted to use it last week all my contacts were gone.

I tried all the tips I read from various forums without success, so I uninstalled it with the intention of using Messenger 4.7 which is still installed, but unfortunately, my contact list has gone from there too.

I've deleted the contacts cache files in Documents and Settings/CONTACTS and also the two folders named in: Documents and Settings\ Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts, without success.

Windows Live Messenger must have created the "CONTACTS" and "Windows Live Contacts" folders as they don't appear on a System backup made before I installed it.

I've searched my C:\drive for .ctt files without success and can't locate any record of my contacts on the MSN home page, either.

One suggestion was to delete the Policies Key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\ , but I haven't got that key.

Three questions:

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Does anyone know where the contact list is stored on my computer?

If I decide to remove both Windows Live Messenger and Messenger 4.7 can I safely remove those two Contact folders?

Hi Ted

Do you have them as .vcf files (visit card files)

Do you have them in Start/programs/accessories - addressbook?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, All,

I don't use Windows Live Messenger very often, but when I wanted to use it last week all my contacts were gone.

I tried all the tips I read from various forums without success, so I uninstalled it with the intention of using Messenger 4.7 which is still installed, but unfortunately, my contact list has gone from there too.

I've deleted the contacts cache files in Documents and Settings/CONTACTS and also the two folders named in: Documents and Settings\ Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts, without success.

Windows Live Messenger must have created the "CONTACTS" and "Windows Live Contacts" folders as they don't appear on a System backup made before I installed it.

I've searched my C:\drive for .ctt files without success and can't locate any record of my contacts on the MSN home page, either.

One suggestion was to delete the Policies Key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\ , but I haven't got that key.

Three questions:

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Does anyone know where the contact list is stored on my computer?

If I decide to remove both Windows Live Messenger and Messenger 4.7 can I safely remove those two Contact folders?

Hi Ted

Am I to understand that even if you want to send an email to one of those you often write - you can't? Very annoying!!

Which mail program do you use?

cheers

solbjerg

Hi there, solbjerg,

Did a search for .VCF files and got nothing. Those contacts are not in my address book, either.

Thank you for your suggestions, anyway.

ok Ted

can't you then just import those you need in MSN from your address book?

or export them to MSN from Outlook Express.

Cheers

solbjerg

- and good luck

P.s.

By the way, I always add new addresses for my contacts to the digital ID's in all my address books, furthermore I have a folder with all vcard files for my contacts, at least those I do not want to lose.

Hi, solbjerg,

I use Outlook Express. Actually, I do have E-mail addresses for everyone in my Address Book, but no actual MSN contacts.

A lot of my friends are using Skype, so I may try that out.

Hi, solbjerg and detailer,

I uninstalled WML and deleted the two CONTACT folders I've previously mentioned. I reinstalled WML and it hasn't re-created those two CONTACT folders, as yet. Maybe it will when my contact list is complete. I have got the two deleted folders on an archived backup, though if they're ever needed.

I've started to rebuild my contact list, but the E-mail addresses I have in my Address Book are not acceptable. They must be Hotmail or Yahoo types, apparently.

On reflection, I realise now that I had been using Messenger 7.5 before, but that has gone from my system. I'm sure I didn't uninstall it, so maybe it is automatically removed as part of the WML installation?

The Windows Messenger 4.7 I mentioned in my first post must stay installed according to all I've read.

Hi Ted

Try doing a search for hotmail, msn and yahoo a see where the files are located, or you can just build the Window Live Messenger contact list from your results.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg and detailer,

I uninstalled WML and deleted the two CONTACT folders I've previously mentioned. I reinstalled WML and it hasn't re-created those two CONTACT folders, as yet. Maybe it will when my contact list is complete. I have got the two deleted folders on an archived backup, though if they're ever needed.

I've started to rebuild my contact list, but the E-mail addresses I have in my Address Book are not acceptable. They must be Hotmail or Yahoo types, apparently.

On reflection, I realise now that I had been using Messenger 7.5 before, but that has gone from my system. I'm sure I didn't uninstall it, so maybe it is automatically removed as part of the WML installation?

The Windows Messenger 4.7 I mentioned in my first post must stay installed according to all I've read.

Hi, solbjerg,

Got it all sussed out.

I have a folder in "My Documents" named: My Received Files and there's another folder enclosed within another folder containing all my contact names suffixed with a ten digit number which I can replace with @hotmail.com. As they are .XML files I can also use Open Office or NotePad to read the actual address.

Great Ted

thanks for the feedback

cheers

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Got it all sussed out.

I have a folder in "My Documents" named: My Received Files and there's another folder enclosed within another folder containing all my contact names suffixed with a ten digit number which I can replace with @hotmail.com. As they are .XML files I can also use Open Office or NotePad to read the actual address.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there. I have the latest version of the Advanced SystemCare, and it has issues that have affected my computer somehow. I have XP Home edition and its the latest version.

1.) MSN Live messenger, or any messenger, doesnt start up at all. in addition, I cant change the wallpaper

2.) The keyboard is messed up, it doesnt work as is should anymore. it is Scandinavian keyboard, but seems to behave like its English, yet all settings are in Finnish, and I cant change it at all. Alt Gr doesnt work, right shift does its job now.. and look what happens when I use shift + number keys etc..

2=@

4=$

6=^

7=&

8=*

9=(

0=)

?=_ etc etc..

See what I mean?

and all this started when I used the IObit registry defrag from the utilities section. It asked me to shut down the computer to complete the defrag, which I did, and after reboot it was like this..:| should I just use recent restorepoint before the defrag took place, or is there some other solution to this?

edit

I tried reinstalling ASC since it kept freezing at spyware removal section. then I tried to update it, but it was the latest version so I decided to try reinstalling it. well, reinstall application gave error after error.. Im starting to get worried, dammit..

edit 2: system restore FTMFW. :D I will leave that defrag feature alone from now on..

Archived