IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Update to lower version

ReneM

I bought Driver Booster Pro.

I do not know if the program is to trust.

My current installed High Definition Audio driver is version 6.3.9600.16384.

[ATTACH]13141[/ATTACH]

Driver Booster says, however, that it is only version 6.2.9200.16653 and want to update it with an even older version 6.0.1.7040.

[ATTACH]13142[/ATTACH]

Have I misunderstood something?

HD drivers

Hi Rene,

My suspicision is that as you a running a 64 bit version, Iobit has not yet caught-up with the latest MS release, which i believe to be a major MS upgrade of all 64bit drivers, (on DB original release MS drivers for 64 bit OS were mostly dated 2009.

Roy

My suspicision is that as you a running a 64 bit version, Iobit has not yet caught-up with the latest MS release...

Roy

Hello Roy

Thanks for your interest of my post.

Yes, it is a 64-bit version.

In my opinion, a program do not have to destroy an installation, but ignore the drivers or come with a warning instead.

The program is probably meant for ordinary people, not geeks who can figure out how to update the main drivers.

Ordinary users will probably accept the program update proposals, resulting in immense problems.

Am I completely wrong on that?

Hi Rene,

No you havn't missed anything and are correct.

When DB came out in beta, i did some testing, see me earlier posts;

As and when, especially MS, major updates are released Iobit and the rest have to play catch-up with the library database, which is i believe is DATE based as opposed to version number.

It would be nice to see which and what versions are being replaced by just mousing over the affected drivers as opposed to choosing the more info option.

I do accept your point that if the date/version number is lower a warning should pop-up automatically.

The programme automatically creates a restore point so rolling back is not a problem, if you havn't switched it off.

But as you say most people just want to install and then let it do its thing.

Roy

• 2 months later...

Driver Booster installs itself without permission...

As usual I started my computer this morning and went into the kitchen to get my coffee.

Great was my surprise when I came back and saw a big screen with Driver Booster that on their own had installed a new version and furthermore thrown an icon on the desktop. I'am appalled.

Firstly, I have always a nice clean desktop with no icons, so it must not be destroyed and not without first obtaining my consent. Imagine if all my installed programs all had thrown one or more icons on my desktop, then it would be quite confusing and messy.

Secondly, the Driver Booster - without my permission and acceptance - made ​​an installation and it is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

I'am appalled.

In my first post above, I have drawn attention to Driver Booster is unreliable and installs outdated drivers with lower version number than already installed.

Driver Booster also installs unoriginal 3 party drivers that make computers unstable.

The problem was quickly "solved" by IObit (unlike any other driver update programs) who just removed the information about the new drivers version numbers. In my world a little too smart.

This information is, however, returned in the latest edition which installed itself without my acceptance this morning.

A program that updates and changes vital functions of a computer MUST BE TRUSTED and 100% safe to use.

When this is not the case, the product should contain a prominent warning that the program is indicative only and otherwise only be used by professional IT geeks who can approve, install and update system drivers.

One piece of advice would be Driver Booster only suggested ORIGINAL drivers (and not BETA) for update unless the user in the settings had checked a box that allows updating with all sorts of non-original drivers. It could certainly be a start.

When even the simple translation into Danish is flawed is it any wonder I no longer use the program as intended?

Excuse my bad English, but the meaning is surely not to be mistaken.

ReneM

Personally, I am sorry that Iobit even went down the driver booster route. I have never seen a Driver program which was even close to perfect and I have seen many that cause serious issues. I think Iobit would have been wiser to leave driver updating to others and not have it included in their package.

My advice has always been, to leave drivers alone, unless you are experiencing problems which are definitely driver related.

Driver updating is a dangerous minefield to enter. It is not simple, as even going to a software manufacturers site may not work, due to the fact that some PC's are altered by the seller and require different hardware drivers from the original.

Some "experts" recommend that you only update drivers from your PC manufacturer site, and other "experts" recommend you update from the operating system site, and other "experts" recommend you update from the individual hardware component suppliers....

My advice, leave drivers alone unless there is an issue...

• 1 month later...

I came here to post about this same problem, it truly is unacceptable and the app should be removed until it functions properly. I know you can restore from ASC or w/e but thats not the point, installing bad drivers can turn your PC or Laptop into a brick in seconds.

Archived