IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Malware Fighter Excessive CPU Usage

12 minutes ago, roger_m said:

I just did that and CPU is still way too high, over 60% to over 70%.  It should be less than that on medium priority.

Is it high for the entire time it is scanning, or just at the beginning. It is quite normal for a scan to use maximum cpu when it begins and then it drops right

down as the scan progresses.

57 minutes ago, Scannan said:

Is it high for the entire time it is scanning, or just at the beginning. It is quite normal for a scan to use maximum cpu when it begins and then it drops right

down as the scan progresses.

For the entire time.

7 hours ago, Scannan said:

Did you try uninstalling and re-installing, in case there is a corruption in the program.

No I haven't.  I don't believe there is corruption, as I know others who have the same issue.  Apparently ASC Ultimate is lighter.

1 hour ago, Octavian said:

What are the specs of PC? 

i5 2400 CPU with 6GB of RAM.  While not particularly powerful, it is more than fast enough for an antivirus to be able to run scans without excessive CPU use.

31 minutes ago, roger_m said:

No I haven't.  I don't believe there is corruption, as I know others who have the same issue.  Apparently ASC Ultimate is lighter.

I have looked for others reporting this issue, and I have not found any.

Again, I suggest you try a complete uninstall and re-install.

29 minutes ago, Octavian said:

To me seems quite normal to see increase of CPU usage at the beginning of scan. Even tho I have a ryzen 9 5900 X (I set priority to high) and see a load on the CPU with fans speed up 

Octavian

Roger_M has already said that his cpu is high for the entire scan

16 hours ago, Scannan said:

I have looked for others reporting this issue, and I have not found any.

Again, I suggest you try a complete uninstall and re-install.

I uninstalled, rebooted and then reinstalled it.  The result was the same, as I had expected.  I then uninstalled it again and installed a trial of ASC Ultimate.  With the default settings, CPU usage is between 24% and 34% when scanning.  Which is perfectly acceptable.

This is from a user at MalwareTips who experienced the same problem.

Iobit Malware fighter is still too heavy for my liking, but Advanced System Care Ultimate is actually pretty good. I like it better than Bitdefender Antivirus and the detection rate is within 1-2% of Bitdefender's antivirus so it's detection rate is pretty good and they are constantly improving the engine for zero day threats as well.

As well as that, a while back there were some posts at Wilders with someone also experiencing very CPU (and RAM) USE with IMF 8, but I was not able to find the psots again.

5 hours ago, Scannan said:

How long have you been using IMF, and did you have this issue from the first time you used it, or did it start later???

Right from when I first used it, and this is on a clean install of Windows 10.

3 hours ago, Scannan said:

How long have you been using IMF V9, and did you have this issue from the first time you used it, or did it start later???

IMF 9 is in development. I don’t think is available yet, probably he uses IMF v8.6

2 hours ago, Scannan said:

Is this the first version of IMF you have used, or did you have the previous version, and if so, did it have the same CPU issue.

I have used previous versions of IMF, on different computers and didn't have this issue.  However, I'm not sure the last version I used, other than this one, where I took note of CPU usage, as it's been quite some time, since I used IMF as my antivirus on the main computer I use.

1 hour ago, roger_m said:

I have used previous versions of IMF, on different computers and didn't have this issue.  However, I'm not sure the last version I used, other than this one, where I took note of CPU usage, as it's been quite some time, since I used IMF as my antivirus on the main computer I use.

Open your Task manager and then run a scan in IMF.

See if IMF is responsible for all the increased CPU usage or if other processes are using CPU, due to the scan.

IMF may be causing other processes to activate.

2 minutes ago, Scannan said:

Open your Task manager and then run a scan in IMF.

See if IMF is responsible for all the increased CPU usage or if other processes are using CPU, due to the scan.

IMF may be causing other processes to activate.

IMF is the sole cause of the CPU use.  I was not looking at total CPU usage, only CPU use from the IMF processes.

If IMF is using 90% CPU, then your machine would become almost unusable, as 10% available CPU would not be enough

to perform other functions.

I assume that when you ran your first scan with IMF, that you allowed the scan to fully complete.

I ask this, because when IMF is first installed it runs a full scan to check your system,which uses a lot of resources.

Subsequent scans should then run with much less resource usage.

I had never run a Full Scan.  This is something I usually avoid with all antiviruses.  However, I just did a custom scan of C and let it complete.  I didn't run a Full Scan, as there a 25 partitions on this system, so t would take a very long time.  Running the scan of C did not reduce CPU use on subsequent scans.  Also, it's important to note that with ASC Ultimate there was no excessive CPU use, even on the very first scan.