IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

3 ITop programs installed in background while downloading iobit-software-updater-setup.exe_version 4.2.0.157

rafdo

8-16-2021, Would appreciate any feedback on todays incident described below. I sent support a detailed message but not expecting priority since I’m using free programs. IObit support interchanges support message with feedback.

#3 iTop programs downloaded & installed in the background when I downloaded iobit-software-updater-setup.exe_version 4.2.0.157 which is 11.

Dertails: downloaded free update file {iobit-software-updater-setup.exe_version 4.2.0.157] via popup message after booting up for the day, verified NordVPN was connected before opening Firefox browser using Win 10 Pro.  Clicking on update link opened IObit website offering free or paid version. I clicked on free & downloaded above update program. Immediately after downloading update program file but not installing, & without getting any prior message, the usual offer to download unrelated apps, etc. a window opens notifying #3 iTop programs downloaded, installed and are ready to use.

iTop Screen Recorder, iTop Screenshot & iTop VPN

Windows apps verified they were recently installed. I opened Control panel and uninstalled all 3 using Control Panel Powerful Uninstall [IObit uninstaller} which created restore points.

I've used several of IObit free programs for years feeling safe & secure until now. This is the first time I feel there is a security problem or hack associated with IObit website. Very surprised & now hesitant proceeding using them until I hear from IObit. I realize direct support isn’t available for free programs.

I’m very careful with my computer containing patient medical records, personal financial records, etc. Never experienced anything that doubted IObit programs, security, etc. before now.

• Like 3

Hi dear,

So sorry for all inconvenience.
iTop products are from our partner.  The intention is to provide our customers with other great products if necessary. When users get the update notification, they can untick the install option if they don't want to install those products. Kindly refer to our attached screenshot.
We have forwarded your feedback to our product team.

Thanks for your understanding.🙂

Untick install option.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I left a message in this form but will repeat it here... I will be not be renewing ANY of my subscription with you once they expire. I am sick of this BS you all have started with the pop ups and this iTop self installing every couple week. You service has become nothing more then a used car salesman or one of the POS that call on the phone wanting to sell me an extended warranty for my car...maybe you all should think about us ticking to accept rather then unticking it!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

SHAME ON YOU IOBIT.  This is update/installation file is clearly designed to FOOL users into installing the iTOP products by stealth.

Your large bold 'UPDATE NOW' button is placed top right on the screen, whilst the much smaller iTOP product selection is in the opposite bottom left corner, so VERY EASILY MISSED (which is clearly what IOBIT want !!). 

I have no problem with you advertising these partner products, BUT the DEFAULT should ALWAYS be UNSELECTED/UNTICKED.

If the user wishes to install these products, they should have to actively select them!!

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The brightness of the recommendation section should be as bright as the other parts of the screen. It should also explain what will happen if the box is not unchecked. Really the box should be unchecked by default and the user should have to check it to install the program.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I too, am disappointed with the auto downloads. The iTop programs seem fishy. I just got a notice of Christmas specials on the itop screen copy pro program. It seems as though it was switched to italian. Trying to report security concern to iobit, to verify, but found no option but this forum. I have had different security issues since those programs have been installed. I hope I can get some help, and advice.

• Like 1