IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Whats your security setup?

vman

But the setup does come with draw backs...your computer remains "as is". You cannot install anything, execute anything, you lock you system down.

But, if the occasion does arise install something, disabling the protection takes less than 2 seconds.

Sometimes, your apps dont function properly, for example office 2007. If you disable the protection and immediately re enable it, its a quick fix, otherwise, a custom rule will have to be made for it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vman- It sounds somewhat like the experience I had with Shadow Defender, but at least you could make changes after a reboot.

What is the advantage in locking all rule definitions down with Malware Defender? I would think that it would still be impossible for the Malware to run or to add rules to Malware Defender were these sanctions not in place.

~Maxx~

Every app is limited to minor rights. Anything new in the system cannot execute, nothing can be written in the drivers, no tmp file can be created, and I got rid of the network protection that MD provides, and, switched it out with Comodo, stealthing all ports.

If NOTHING NEW can execute (including scripts), how can you EVER get infected?

The only way to evade hackers, is to it so hard that they just wouldn't bother.

If a hacker were to attempt to get into a system, believe me, they would...just as they have the pentagon.

I'm behind both software and hardware firewalls...yea...

If a hacker were to attempt to get into a system, believe me, they would...just as they have the pentagon.

Yes, but the Pentagon is a very highly prized target for hackers. I've even heard of the government hiring hackers who successfully broke in to their system.

My 'small potato' theory is that if you're obviously just a small potato ie average individual with a computer a hacker of sufficient skills to hack your computer won't waste their otherwise valuable time with you. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I would think that a skilled hacker would be busy hacking much more profitable and prestigious targets than my little laptop nevertheless I keep its ports stealthed so as to maintain a lower profile. :wink:

~Maxx~

Having recently spent some time changing my security set up (thanks to Max and the guys) my current setup is:-

Avast Home edition

Comodo Firewall (Max settings) Ports hidden

CCleaner

A Squared free

ASC

Smart Defrag

Also a few other little tweeking products.

Emttaff

British by birth (Welsh by the grace of god)

emttaff- You could make small adjustment and have Comodo stealth the 1 port that you now have open by opening Firewall> Common Tasks> Stealth Ports Wizard and select Block all incoming connections Stealth my ports to everyone. Comodo will then set your Global Firewall Rules accordingly. I did this security upgrade just the other day and I am quite happy with having all of the ports stealthed.

~Maxx~

I thought it would be interesting to know what security people use (and how successful or not!). I'm assuming that giving this info doesn't put security at risk - perhaps someone could say if it does!

I use 1) Firewall inbuilt in router

2) Sygate firewall is on computer in case of router failure but I turn it off when logged on.

3) Microsoft firewall turned off

4) Avast antivirus

5) Spywareblaster

6)Prevx Intrusion prevention

7) Ewido - not full version which has expired & you have to pay for.

Everything seems fine at the moment. (I recently changed set up as I was getting a few viruses and trojans.)

• 4 months later...

Archived