IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Need Help Want To Clone My C Drive

garybear

Hi, Gary,

Do you think the Macrium Rescue disk will boot up PC, and then allow you to find your USB, and put this info on the new HDD

Try it and see. It boots up okay with mine and recognises all my drives. Make sure you have plugged in your USB drive first. Another thought: I suppose your Bios is set to boot first from a CD?

I'm listening

Hi, Gary,

Try it and see. It boots up okay with mine and recognises all my drives. Make sure you have plugged in your USB drive first. Another thought: I suppose your Bios is set to boot first from a CD?

Bios scares the gee whizzes out of me. You are out of my pay scale when you say[bios is set to boot first from a CD.]Can you explain what you mean, and remember you are talking to some one who's not PC literate. I have never messed with any thing that has to do with the Bios. I plugged in my USB, put in my Macrium Rescue disk, powered off, and back on. It booted up just the same as it always did, so how do I know the rescue disk worked, and booted up to the disk. I didn't see any thing like you showed in your post. My PC booted up and showed the desk top, just like it always does after restart or power down and power up. Sorry I'm so slow and thick between the ears. I really appreciate all your time on this matter. I guess every one else has given up on me. I'm determined to learn all I can about my PC.I thank you for your time and your patience.Live well friend.[garybear]

Bios

Hi gary

You open Bios by usually clicking F2 when the computer begins its StartUp sequence.

You navigate by using the arrow keys and you select by using Enter

Otherwise follow the information on the screen

The "Main" picture just shows which screen it opens in

You get from "Main" to "Boot" by using the right hand arrow.

The "Boot" picture shows the Boot sequence, where it usually is best to have the cd option as first choice.

Take a look at the attached pictures

But be careful and do not change anything for fun!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Bios scares the gee whizzes out of me. You are out of my pay scale when you say[bios is set to boot first from a CD.]Can you explain what you mean, and remember you are talking to some one who's not PC literate. I have never messed with any thing that has to do with the Bios. I plugged in my USB, put in my Macrium Rescue disk, powered off, and back on. It booted up just the same as it always did, so how do I know the rescue disk worked, and booted up to the disk. I didn't see any thing like you showed in your post. My PC booted up and showed the desk top, just like it always does after restart or power down and power up. Sorry I'm so slow and thick between the ears. I really appreciate all your time on this matter. I guess every one else has given up on me. I'm determined to learn all I can about my PC.I thank you for your time and your patience.Live well friend.[garybear]

Thanks Ted!

They didn't turn out as sharp as I had hoped, but now I know a bit more about it and hope I can make it better next time.

Cheer

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Many thanks for your input.

Neat camera shots. No flash reflections, either.

Hi gary

You open Bios by usually clicking F2 when the computer begins it StartUp sequence.

You navigate by using the arrow keys and you select by using Enter

Otherwise follow the information on the screen

The "Main" picture just shows which screen it opens in

You get from "Main" to "Boot" by using the right hand arrow.

The "Boot" picture shows the Boot seguence, where it usually is best to have the cd option as first choice.

Take a look at the attached pictures

But be careful and do not change anything for fun!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg and Ted. Wow that was a scary place for me. I did not change any thing and was very careful. I found Bios and maneuvered carefully to find this, which looks nothing like your post solbjerg, but I think I was in the right place.1.Hard-Disk Drive c: 2.IDE CD-Rom Device. 3.Floppy device (not installed). 1.&2. had check marks by them,3. did not have a check mark. I did not change them,because I was not sure how to make cd option first choice. You guys are the best .Can you tell me how to make cd first choice. I wanted to send screen shot, but it wouldn't let me. It looks like my first choice is to boot from Hard-Disk Drive c:, and is probably why I could not boot with Macrium rescue disk. Thanks for your support. Since you are running xp3 home, maybe you can tell me what to do Ted. I think you have a different OS solbjerg, but you got me there, and I appreciate both of you.[garybear]

Hi gary

Yes it can look a little different. Mine is K8NF4G-SATA2, Default System Bios, American Megatrends Incorporated, SMBios version P1.50

But you navigate in the same way I think.

When you are in the Boot section navigate to first choice, hit Enter and choose the CD option, navigate to second choice and choose Harddisk and then third choice floppy disk. Hit F10 or which ever one lets you close and save changes.

Then if you have the cd in the drive it will start up from that if it is a Window install disk or a backup.

See if others have some better advise for you before trying perhaps :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg and Ted. Wow that was a scary place for me. I did not change any thing and was very careful. I found Bios and maneuvered carefully to find this, which looks nothing like your post solbjerg, but I think I was in the right place.1.Hard-Disk Drive c: 2.IDE CD-Rom Device. 3.Floppy device (not installed). 1.&2. had check marks by them,3. did not have a check mark. I did not change them,because I was not sure how to make cd option first choice. You guys are the best .Can you tell me how to make cd first choice. I wanted to send screen shot, but it wouldn't let me. It looks like my first choice is to boot from Hard-Disk Drive c:, and is probably why I could not boot with Macrium rescue disk. Thanks for your support. Since you are running xp3 home, maybe you can tell me what to do Ted. I think you have a different OS solbjerg, but you got me there, and I appreciate both of you.[garybear]

NO difference

I changed boot sequence .My cd is now my first choice ,drive second choice, floppy third choice. I don't see any difference in the way my PC boots up, but I have learned a lot(lol). My last question is can Macrium save you from a HDD crash. If my primary HDD disk dies and fails to boot, can I unplug it, plug a brand new HDD in where it was, put the rescue cd in, plug in my USB, power up, find the USB, find the back up from Macrium, put this back up on my new drive, remove the rescue cd, restart, and be back in business. I f not, I'm spending my money on Acronis, because it will clone your new drive, and be sitting there ready to put you back in business when your HDD dies. You just remove your dead HDD, and plug your cloned HDD where it was, making it your new primary. I know this works because I have just done it. If Macrium won't do this, that is why wildwillie is saying your living with a false since of security. If any of what I have just said is not true, some of you big dogs(lol) need to correct me(please). My friend Ted deserves to know. I know you can probably start over with your window cd, but who in their right mind would want to do that, when you can be back where you were in a matter of minutes . I say 50 bucks for Acronis is cheap for that kind of security. I'm not the sharpest kid on the block, and know I can be a real pain in the butt some times, but I am determined to learn about this damn PC, and believe me I have learned a ton on this forum, and I appreciate every one here. I hope that some day I can help others, as much as I have been helped.Live well all my new friends.PS This old bear loves every one of you.[garybear]

Hi gary

Have you read about recovery and related topics in "Help&Support" in your computer?

I use the help today much more often than I did when starting using the computer. Knows what to ask now I suppose! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I changed boot sequence .My cd is now my first choice ,drive second choice, floppy third choice. I don't see any difference in the way my PC boots up, but I have learned a lot(lol). My last question is can Macrium save you from a HDD crash. If my primary HDD disk dies and fails to boot, can I unplug it, plug a brand new HDD in where it was, put the rescue cd in, plug in my USB, power up, find the USB, find the back up from Macrium, put this back up on my new drive, remove the rescue cd, restart, and be back in business. I f not, I'm spending my money on Acronis, because it will clone your new drive, and be sitting there ready to put you back in business when your HDD dies. You just remove your dead HDD, and plug your cloned HDD where it was, making it your new primary. I know this works because I have just done it. If Macrium won't do this, that is why wildwillie is saying your living with a false since of security. If any of what I have just said is not true, some of you big dogs(lol) need to correct me(please). My friend Ted deserves to know. I know you can probably start over with your window cd, but who in their right mind would want to do that, when you can be back where you were in a matter of minutes . I say 50 bucks for Acronis is cheap for that kind of security. I'm not the sharpest kid on the block, and know I can be a real pain in the butt some times, but I am determined to learn about this damn PC, and believe me I have learned a ton on this forum, and I appreciate every one here. I hope that some day I can help others, as much as I have been helped.Live well all my new friends.PS This old bear loves every one of you.[garybear]

I use help and support a little but find the internet and this forum a much better source of info, and help solving a problem. I f you can lead me to a place in help and support that discusses this topic, please tell me how to find it. I have heard that help and support are not even offered in the new windows edition, don't know that for a fact, just heard that threw the grape vine. Mine didn't work but reinstalled it and it works great now.Live well my friends. [garybear]

Hi gary

If you write "recovery" in the search window in Help&Support you should be presented with 15 choices choose #6 and scroll down to the link 302894

and read that.

I have a Danish version - so it might be different in yours, but it can't be much I think/hope :-)

You can also try to write sysprep in the search window and see where that lead you!

Actually you can do a lot of things in Windows if you can find them :-) many providers of "extra" gadgets live well off that fact.

Cheers

solbjerg

I use help and support a little but find the internet and this forum a much better source of info, and help solving a problem. I f you can lead me to a place in help and support that discusses this topic, please tell me how to find it. I have heard that help and support are not even offered in the new windows edition, don't know that for a fact, just heard that threw the grape vine. Mine didn't work but reinstalled it and it works great now.Live well my friends. [garybear]

Hi solbjerg please write the name of #6.

If #6 is in Suggested Topics, it is:

Add a recovery agent for a domain in English.

If it is #6 of Technical articles,then it is :

Description of the limitations of Recovery Manager 2.0 as an imaging solution to clone systems for deployment or for "bare metal" recovery

If it is #6 of Full-text search matches, then it is:

Backing up and recovering encrypted data

And I can't find link 302894.

Thanks and cheers.

hi enoskype

Ok there must be differences in the set up of articles between Danish and English 302894 refers to :

An Error Message Is Displayed When You Attempt to Use the Automated System Recovery Wizard

View products that this article applies to.

This article was previously published under Q302700

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;302700

Another keyword is: kbinfo KB320820

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320820/en-us

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg please write the name of #6.

If #6 is in Suggested Topics, it is:

Add a recovery agent for a domain in English.

If it is #6 of Technical articles,then it is :

Description of the limitations of Recovery Manager 2.0 as an imaging solution to clone systems for deployment or for "bare metal" recovery

If it is #6 of Full-text search matches, then it is:

Backing up and recovering encrypted data

And I can't find link 302894.

Thanks and cheers.

Hi there, Gary,

After doing a bit of reading and research I realize now that cloning an HDD is actually creating a mirror-image copy of the source drive on the target drive and this drive will boot up when connected in place of the old one. Macrium does not do this. It creates a compressed image of the used portion of the source drive which you can store somewhere to use if and when required. When this image is restored to a properly connected drive in your computer (not copied) that drive will then bootup. All the previous instructions for Macrium still apply. Hope this clarifies things a bit. I'm learning too!

Thanks friend

Hi there, Gary,

After doing a bit of reading and research I realize now that cloning an HDD is actually creating a mirror-image copy of the source drive on the target drive and this drive will boot up when connected in place of the old one. Macrium does not do this. It creates a compressed image of the used portion of the source drive which you can store somewhere to use if and when required. When this image is restored to a properly connected drive in your computer (not copied) that drive will then bootup. All the previous instructions for Macrium still apply. Hope this clarifies things a bit. I'm learning too!

Thanks friend. I will try this. At the moment I do not have a HDD to play with, but a friend is trying to buy one cheap that I can play around with. I will try doing what you said when I get another HDD. I was hoping some one on the forum would try Macrium and report what they found; guess not. What you are saying sounds good, and should work.Live well my friend.[garybear]

Archived