IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Restoring System Restore

Used ASC v3 as usual on Sunday 8th Mar but on Monday both System Restore and Printer Spooler functions were out. Not too worried about printer as if I can get SysRest back it'll reset automatically (I hope). Been into WinManager on Utilities which confirms System Restore is stopped but when I press 'Start' tab, nothing happens. NB the System Restore menu directly accessed from Control Panel shows a greyed out area saying 'Disabled by Group Policy' and won't let me turn the system back on from there either. PS this is the first time I've used a Tech Forum so apologies for any netiquette infractions.

Hi jabusthexut

Have you recently used the group policy for anything?

In the WinManager Services window you can right click the items and choose what startup method you want, look at the dependencies and configure those too before clicking start the application, which in the case of System restore should be set to automatic and started I think.

A new firewall recently perhaps?

Some security measures go a bit over the side I think. But of course if you have a virus in one of your restore points it makes some sense to disable at least that restore point.

Cheers

solbjerg

Used ASC v3 as usual on Sunday 8th Mar but on Monday both System Restore and Printer Spooler functions were out. Not too worried about printer as if I can get SysRest back it'll reset automatically (I hope). Been into WinManager on Utilities which confirms System Restore is stopped but when I press 'Start' tab, nothing happens. NB the System Restore menu directly accessed from Control Panel shows a greyed out area saying 'Disabled by Group Policy' and won't let me turn the system back on from there either. PS this is the first time I've used a Tech Forum so apologies for any netiquette infractions.

Hi jabusthexut,

Addition to solbjerg, did you check If the "Log On as:" chosen as "Local Sytem Account" under Log On tab? (System Restore Properties (Local Computer) window.)

What is written under the "Hardware Profile" there? Can you enable Service for your profile?

Cheers.

Hi and many thanks to solbjerg and enoskype for their suggestions. Tried what you have suggested but to no avail. Solbjerg: I have no idea what a Group Policy is and to the best of my knowledge, never used one. I have now uninstalled ASC v3 in an attempt to reset things but still nothing. Any other ideas? I am somewhat computer hostile ond often have 'human/keyboard' intewrface errorts so the simpler you keep it the easier I shall find it. Thanks for everything so far, though.

Hi, enoskype. Thanks for staying with me on this one. I'm currently in the process of checking out the Group Policy reference you gave me but in the mean time: I use Windows XP with the usual pre-installed firewalls and security software; in addition I have installed SpywareBot, StopZilla, Registry Toolkit and DriveCleaner plus, of course, ASC v3.2 Freeware. My hardware is a standard Dell Dimension. Is this enough?

Hi, once again enoskype. I've just had a good look at that info you recommended re Group Policy. Really useful - but I'm not sure if my limited amount of computer knowledge will give me the courage to open and edit the GP Editor - especially as I have no system restore active - don't want to crash my system. What are the potential problems and are they recoverable? I think all I want to do is switch off Group Policy. How easy is this and, again, what are the potential problems if I do? Thanks again!

Hi jabusthexut

In services.msc in Run - You must be able to find System Restore service, - right click and choose Properties and set it to automatic and start it.

Have you by mistake placed something in the ignore list that should not be there? Well now you can't see that, unless maybe if you still have the folder in programs?

After System restore is started, go to My computer, right click - choose properties - choose System Restore tab. Check the settings for this function.

Regarding Group policy - you can just stop that function or at least just set it to manual. If you have never used it, it shouldn't matter if it is stopped.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, once again enoskype. I've just had a good look at that info you recommended re Group Policy. Really useful - but I'm not sure if my limited amount of computer knowledge will give me the courage to open and edit the GP Editor - especially as I have no system restore active - don't want to crash my system. What are the potential problems and are they recoverable? I think all I want to do is switch off Group Policy. How easy is this and, again, what are the potential problems if I do? Thanks again!

Valuable command line

Hi detailer

%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

That was a very valuable command line!!

Thank you!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi j-Give this a try first--Start,Run,type the following with no spaces %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exc and press Enter. If that fails,some very straight forward GPE instructions can be found here.Best of luck.

Detailler et al. Once again, thanks! We are progressing - of sorts. RUN told me to try Search as it could not execute %SystemRoot%system32\restore\rstrui.exc. Search tells me the file does not exist - neither does gpedit.msc exist! Can I download it/them or reconfigure them from somewhere? My original software disk is redundant as the system has updated to Service Pack 3? This is getting tedious, I know, and I thank you for bearing with me.

Hi again

There was an error in the address line %SystemRoot%system32\restore\rstrui.exc it should be %SystemRoot%system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Cheers

solbjerg

Detailler et al. Once again, thanks! We are progressing - of sorts. RUN told me to try Search as it could not execute %SystemRoot%system32\restore\rstrui.exc. Search tells me the file does not exist - neither does gpedit.msc exist! Can I download it/them or reconfigure them from somewhere? My original software disk is redundant as the system has updated to Service Pack 3? This is getting tedious, I know, and I thank you for bearing with me.

Hi, enoskype. Thanks for staying with me on this one. I'm currently in the process of checking out the Group Policy reference you gave me but in the mean time: I use Windows XP with the usual pre-installed firewalls and security software; in addition I have installed SpywareBot, StopZilla, Registry Toolkit and DriveCleaner plus, of course, ASC v3.2 Freeware. My hardware is a standard Dell Dimension. Is this enough?

Hi again jabusthexut,

Assuming that you are using XP, try using dial-a-fix. You can find it if you search in google. Carefully read the instructions and information on the program. There is also repair of System Restore there together with getting your personal permissions back if some are blocked.

Cheers.

Hi jabusthexut (& enoskype),

I had a permissions problem on XP a while back & Dial-a-fix did fix this. One word of warning: I had a "Limited User" account on my computer and after the permissions fix, this account just "disappeared" from the computer! I did a system restore, saved documents, deleted the limited account, ran the permissions fix again, re-created the account & re-copied the docs back in. It worked great! Just a word of warning: save the docs of the limited account if you have one.

samr.

So Sorry

Hi j-As Solbjerg pointed out,the command I gave was wrong(exc./exe.)As for gpedit.msc, it can't be found most likely because it is a "snap-in" which you haven't installed.Strange that your error code points you in this direction.Run the command again(the right one this time)and if that doesn't work,go with Enoskype's suggestion as he has considerable experience and has saved my bacon more than once.Samr-thanks for the heads up,I didn't know about the limited account deletion issue.

:razz:Hi, all. AT LAST! dial-a-fix seemed to be the answer. Many thanks to you all for all your help and support for a not-very-astute computer user - your advice has been invaluable. The bonus has been, I now know a lot more about how my computer actually works and have found some extremely useful and, more importantly, user-friendly solutions pages. Once again my thanks!

Hi jabusthexut

Glad to hear you got your problem solved. Yes enoskype is invaluable!!

And thanks for your kind words!

I just noticed - I do not think you have mentioned any anti-virus-program, but you do run one, don't you?

Cheers

solbjerg

:razz:Hi, all. AT LAST! dial-a-fix seemed to be the answer. Many thanks to you all for all your help and support for a not-very-astute computer user - your advice has been invaluable. The bonus has been, I now know a lot more about how my computer actually works and have found some extremely useful and, more importantly, user-friendly solutions pages. Once again my thanks!

Archived