IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

QuickTime question.

Ted

Does anyone have a sure-fire method of stopping qttask from loading at startup? I've unticked all the relevant boxes in QuickTime and deleted its startup Registry key with Startup Control Panel 2.8, but it still persists in launching itself. The only sure way I feel is to uninstall QuickTime.

Thanks for that, enoskype.

Actually, I stopped it with the "Autoruns" tool yesterday and it didn't start this morning, so I'll see how I go. Anyway, with Oxelon and the K-Lite codec pack I've fitted I probably don't need QT now, although I do believe that some viewers make use of QT's codecs. I know that RAD tools needs it to provide sound on some conversions.

I'd be interested to know: How many of you on this forum have Quicktime installed and how many of you have successfully stopped qttask from loading at startup? Actually, how many of you actually use QT?

Hi Ted

I have it - I have stopped it from loading without any problem - I almost never use it.

For a while ½ a year ago I had it uninstalled, precisely because I thought I never used it, but a month ago I ran into a site that had to use guick time it said (I don't remember which one) and consequently I installed it again - and still almost never run it, and it is still not loaded at start up by me.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'd be interested to know: How many of you on this forum have Quicktime installed and how many of you have successfully stopped qttask from loading at startup? Actually, how many of you actually use QT?

Hi, solbjerg,

Thanks for your reply. Well, I've tried everything suggested on different forums and although it stops loading for a day or two, it always comes back.

I've just renamed the qttask.exe file in Quicktime's programme folder to qttask .exe. See how I go this time!

Hi Ted

In the settings, do you have it set to automatically look for updates?

Or that it should be shown in the system tray?

Have you installed it with the i-tunes option? I haven't!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Thanks for your reply. Well, I've tried everything suggested on different forums and although it stops loading for a day or two, it always comes back.

I've just renamed the qttask.exe file in Quicktime's programme folder to qttask .exe. See how I go this time!

Hi Ted,

I have it downloaded together with iTunes recently, and I had it since when I don't remember. I always stopped it from starting (likewise iTunes Helper, and TkBellExe of Real) by SS&D's System Startup. ASC 3 startup does the same thing though.

Interestingly, the latest iTunes+QuickTime installation did not show any qttask start item, instead, iTunes helper, and AppleSyncNotifier. (sometimes I use iPhone.)

solbjerg, updating in QuickTime, mine is checked for automatic update.

Cheers.

QT

Hi Ted-thankfully,courtesy of yesterday's OS reinstallation,I no longer have to deal with QT.I had tried to uninstall it awhile back with the Revo/Reg Seeker combo,but bits of it just kept popping up.I don't recall ever having any problem disabling it though.I also never remember having a need for it.I'd say just send it south.

Hi, solbjerg, enoskype and detailer,

I have practically nothing ticked in QT's preferences and have followed all the suggestions I've read. If this latest qttask renaming fix doesn't work, then I'll follow your advice, detailer and remove it

Hi Ted

Isn't it unusable with that deactivated command?

And like detailer I also find that it is very very seldom that I use it.

So if it doesn't work anyway by you - why not remove it?

Doesn't take long and neither does a reinstallation if the need should arise. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

My search for PC perfection continues:

I've removed QuickTime and even the blank qttask entry in startup has now gone, however, now Movie Player Classic plays my .MOV files without sound. The K-Lite FAQ says Media Player Classic uses QT's codecs for some .MOV files. I temporarily installed QT Lite, but although the sound returned in Media Player Classic, the picture quality was very poor. If any you of play .MOV files, what player do you use and can you tweak K-Lite to play the sound?

While on the subject, do any of you use WMP to play .MOV files and if so, how do you achieve this?

Hi Ted

Have you tried the xvid codecs plugin for WMP?

Cheers

solbjerg

My search for PC perfection continues:

I've removed QuickTime and even the blank qttask entry in startup has now gone, however, now Movie Player Classic plays my .MOV files without sound. The K-Lite FAQ says Media Player Classic uses QT's codecs for some .MOV files. I temporarily installed QT Lite, but although the sound returned in Media Player Classic, the picture quality was very poor. If any you of play .MOV files, what player do you use and can you tweak K-Lite to play the sound?

While on the subject, do any of you use WMP to play .MOV files and if so, how do you achieve this?

Hi, solbjerg,

Have you tried the xvid codecs plugin for WMP?

Yes, I already have them installed. Thanks, anyway.

I've installed QuickTime Alternative and can now play .MOV and 3G2 files with sound in Media Player Classic

Archived