IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Has the "Con" Flickered Out

detailer

zone alarm

Does anyone use zone alarm on the forum??? My friend thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. I don't agree. I hope you don't mind me posting this on your thread detailer. It kind of fits with your topic and I didn't want to start a new thread just for this.

No Problem

Hi Gary-My thread is your thread.I have it installed on my daughter's PC because I got a year free.Takes some tuning to run effectively,but no complaints about the protection.My version is a few months old and doesn't seem to update beyond it's current version,but does take definition updates.I believe this is because it was one of those give-a-way offers.I've gone to their homepage and found a newer version,but I'm afraid the upgrade will void the activation like many of those "free for a year" offers.That's just a little heads up if you install some of the freebies from GAOTD or Raymond CC.Anyway,I haven't experienced any false positives with it.I believe Enoskype runs a ZA security suite-sure he will respond.Be well.

To say its the BEST, no its not. To say its the worst, iits not that either...it all depends on the user and what he/she does online. I have NO security protection active, running, nothing. I even removed the HIPS, and have not been infected so far...the best security suit in my opinion is the user itself.

*Lay off those special videos*

Hey Vman. I don't do those special videos (lol).I'm to damn old for that. I heard some where on the net, that zone alarm could cause your pc to reboot for no apparent reason. Have you heard that or do you think it could cause that to happen? What is HIPS??? Line well my friend.[garybear]

Hi Garybear,

I have never run the Security suite, but I did use Zone Alarm Free Firewall for about 3 years on three PC's and was actually quite happy with it. I started using it after I got rid of the big security suite that starts with "M". It was the biggest piece of cr*p I ever used and the Zone Alarm Free did a much better job. Not bad, but I think there are better ones now.

samr.

Hi garybear,

I have been using ZA free for a very long time, much before Check Point has bought them. Recently I am using ZA Pro. Antispyware is included in Pro.

ZA Pro 8.0.059 does not update since the installation of the give-away in the anniversary date, but I belive it is not like GAOTD software as the detailer mentions, as exactly the same date installed similar ZA Pro8.0.059 on Vista, updated to the latest version Pro 8.0.289 recently.

There may me better firewall software on the market, and although from time to time there are compatability issues with other software such as McAfee, ZA has never ever failed me on all Oss I had used. (I have been using it with Win98 & Win98SE too, but not tried it yet on Windows7.)

The versatility in usage gives quite a lot of flexibility to the user.

The downside is, high memory usage, high I/O Read and Write Bytes of vsmon.exe.

Cheers.

NOTE: IMHO, forget about downloading, one should never ever be connected to the web without an antivirus software and a firewall (Virtualization excluded!).

I used ZoneAlrm free from forever ago when it was the only firewall that stealthed your ports. About three years ago I switched to the security suite version for the added functionality. It's solid, and while it's not really bloated, it does hit system resources more than I like.

I'm currently using Sunbelt's VIPRE, the big brother to CounterSpy. Like ZA Pro, it includes antivirus and antispyware, but no firewall (my router takes care of that). It's small and fast, stable, and has caught a more than couple of threats on my son's PC...."My friend's girlfriend clicked something stupid." Yeah. Right. They offer a full function trial if you're interested. They also have a program where I (or any other paying user) can get you a 20% discount if you decide to go with it. (In the interest of full disclosure, if you use my coupon I get "points" for use to extend my subscription or whatever. That's not the reason I recommend it though...)

VIPRE

Hi Dave-Good to hear from you-missed you for awhile.You'll be happy to know I've rejoined you at SP2 status courtesy of my last OS reinstall.SP3 patch,?-don't think so. Fool me once,fool me twice--you know what they say.Be well Bud

Hi Detailer,

I've been lurkin' in a couple a times a week, but I'm helping to administrate another user support forum (ChaosFanatics.com), so when I'm online I'm usually there.

Welcome back to SP2 :razz:

My son's PC auto-updated to SP3 and he hasn't had any problems, but I still don't see any compelling reason to mess with my system. I'll probably wait for Windows 7 SP2. ;-)

fool me

Hi detailer. Here's the way that saying goes. Screw me once, shame on you; screw me twice shame on me. However I'm not having any problems with SP3. My PC is working better than it ever has. The reason I like SP3 is that I can do sfc /scannow and not have to look up the slip stream cd that you showed me how to build. I can also use that cd to reinstall my OS. I actually used it to do that and it worked just great. That was a great tip detailer, thanks friend.Live well friends.PS glad to see you back Dave.[garybear]

Archived