IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

inadequate virtual memory in Windows XP

My computer has 1.5 GB of RAM. Virtual free memory is immediately filled when I startup the computer. IOBit SmartRAM identified 2047 MB of virtual RAM, nearly all filled (2009 of 2047). So I increased it to 3072 MB (via Control Panel). But IOBit SmartRAM still says there's only 2047 MB and it's still nearly full, and the computer is still very slow. Any ideas short of purchasing a new computer? Will adding more RAM make much difference?

Hi rdrosenbaum,

On my Smart RAM, It shows "Free virtual Memory 2004 of 2047 mb"

meaning it is using 43 mb of virtual memory and has 2004 mb FREE.

Is yours saying there is 2016 FREE?

How much FREE physical memory do you show? If this runs low it could slow you down and more memory may help, but I am running 1.25GB RAM & it is fine for what I do.

samr.

Hi rd-I'm thinking along with Samr- I think you have 2009MB free out of 2047MB.But there are a couple of things that strike me as odd inside Smart Ram.For instance,Samr has 1.25GB,you 1.5GB,and I have 2GB of ram-yet the maximum number shown as available is 2047MB for all of us.Seems to me this number should be different for us all.Also,when you increased the size of your page file,the 2047# didn't increase.I currently show 2018 free out of the mysterious 2047MB.with the bar graph totally full-seems there should be a little bit that's not green.That's a knit picking issue I know.Now here's where it gets really strange-I show 1548MB free out of 1884MB for my page file.Funny thing here is,I don't run a page file!-none,zero,zilch.I don't employ the use of Smart Ram,because I haven't had a need for it,but thought I'd give it a look to try and answer your question.So,now I'm the one with the questions! Is the 2047MB number the maximum that the utility can display? And why do I show a percentage of free space in a page file that doesn't exist? Just curious,and no complaints,this thing's humm'n since the new OS! Now rd,in terms of your speed(or lack thereof)it sounds as though you have too many programs running at boot.ASC can trim a lot of the fat in your start up depending upon the Computer Optimization setting you choose.You can get a good idea of whats running from two places-first,the System Configuration Utility(msconfig)secondly,System Services,found under Admin Tools via your Control panel.Post back and I'll attempt to help you "lose some junk" you don't need running.There are links and some videos I could point you to.Not to mention all the other people here with a great deal of experience.

Hi detailer

2048 MbB is the same as 2 GB

There is a lot of confusion surroundig this

Originally all KB or MB or GB is related to powers of 2

2^10= 1 KB

2^20=1 MB

2^30=1 GB

Firms selling related hardware / software has a tendency to write that their application supports 2 GB while in reality only supports 1995 MB or even ~1907.000 KB

This is very confusing for users

To top this off - some only thinks of KB, MB, and GB as powers of 10

but the higher we get - the more inaccurate it is.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi rd-I'm thinking along with Samr- I think you have 2009MB free out of 2047MB.But there are a couple of things that strike me as odd inside Smart Ram.For instance,Samr has 1.25GB,you 1.5GB,and I have 2GB of ram-yet the maximum number shown as available is 2047MB for all of us.Seems to me this number should be different for us all.Also,when you increased the size of your page file,the 2047# didn't increase.I currently show 2018 free out of the mysterious 2047MB.with the bar graph totally full-seems there should be a little bit that's not green.That's a knit picking issue I know.Now here's where it gets really strange-I show 1548MB free out of 1884MB for my page file.Funny thing here is,I don't run a page file!-none,zero,zilch.I don't employ the use of Smart Ram,because I haven't had a need for it,but thought I'd give it a look to try and answer your question.So,now I'm the one with the questions! Is the 2047MB number the maximum that the utility can display? And why do I show a percentage of free space in a page file that doesn't exist? Just curious,and no complaints,this thing's humm'n since the new OS! Now rd,in terms of your speed(or lack thereof)it sounds as though you have too many programs running at boot.ASC can trim a lot of the fat in your start up depending upon the Computer Optimization setting you choose.You can get a good idea of whats running from two places-first,the System Configuration Utility(msconfig)secondly,System Services,found under Admin Tools via your Control panel.Post back and I'll attempt to help you "lose some junk" you don't need running.There are links and some videos I could point you to.Not to mention all the other people here with a great deal of experience.

Hi detailer

This is a very gray area, but you have to remember that 10^3 is 1000

while 2^10 is 1024 - this system works all tthe way up!

You must have wondered when they say that your system uses fx. 2 Ghz and then it is shown it as 1.9 Ghz

This is very confusing

In one way it easier to use exponents of ten, - but as everything in the computer is based on binary computation I think we ought to follow that.

Cheers solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg-Fair enough-I'd read so much on Ram,virtual memory page files,etc.,just when I think I understand,I don't.But what about the reference to the page file that I don't have?

Archived