IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Microsoft/Windows manual update problem Windows XP x64

Araucaria

I cannot manually update either Microsoft or WIndows updates on my Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 system. I have no problem on two Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit machines, which have the same software. The problem only commenced after I installed ASC 3, free edition.

Microsoft Support made various suggestions that have not worked. I am reluctant to follow the last of them as it involves reinstalling Windows and all my software and documents.

The problem is not unique to me. In another forum Charlie1A wrote about ASC: "The program runs great on Xp home edition 32bit, but has been messing up my Windows update (can't do a manual update) on my XP PRO x64 bit operating sys. Microsoft can't seem to find the problem, and IOBIT has not corrected it as of this posting." http://tinyurl.com/d2u852

I did try uninstalling ASC but that made no difference. The only other registry cleaners I have used are common to all three machines, CCleaner and Windows Live OneCare, and the problem did not exist when they were the only ones I was using.

Any suggestions please.

Hi Araucaria,

I don't use x64, but did you check "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" if it is running?

Also, it could have been changed to Manual start, change it to automatic and try again.

NOTE: If there is a possibility, trying ASC 3 on a third XP Pro x64 system with controlling the details of the problems for "System Optimization" may reveal what were changed.

Please read the USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Thank you Enoskype for your prompt response and your attempt to help.

The "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" is running on automatic.

I have no access to another x64 system.

I simply accepted the default settings and made no changes to them, ie, the "System Optimization" settings were left at "Basic".

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I'd thought it was IE8. I've been away for a time and when I came home I had no update problems. I thought I'd try ASC, the x64 version, again. I did so and found I had no access to Microsoft updates. I restored my machine to the point before I had installed ASC and all was well again. So the culprit was ASC and not IE8.

If it is Windows services, that might have been disabled, check on BITS, Cryptographic Services, Event Log and Windows Update.

All these services need to start/be started to update Windows.

All but Cryptographic Services (automatic)are in manual on my machine and it updates fine.

Well I'd thought it was IE8. I've been away for a time and when I came home I had no update problems. I thought I'd try ASC, the x64 version, again. I did so and found I had no access to Microsoft updates. I restored my machine to the point before I had installed ASC and all was well again. So the culprit was ASC and not IE8.

I am also having the same problem, all my services are running as they always were only I'm using the 32 bit Vista. I can't restore to a previous point far enough back to correct this problem. To test it out, I used the free version on my wifes laptop after creating a restore point and it did the same thing. Cannot update nor can she get updates for other microsoft products. After restoring back to the restore point I created it was fine. Tried it a second time and the same thing. It definitely is ASC changing something on my pc, I just can't figure out what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
I am also having the same problem, all my services are running as they always were only I'm using the 32 bit Vista. I can't restore to a previous point far enough back to correct this problem. To test it out, I used the free version on my wifes laptop after creating a restore point and it did the same thing. Cannot update nor can she get updates for other microsoft products. After restoring back to the restore point I created it was fine. Tried it a second time and the same thing. It definitely is ASC changing something on my pc, I just can't figure out what it is.

Hello, can you try individual module? I think maybe the problem is caused by the Registry Fix or Security Denfense module, can you try to test those 2 module and help us find out where the problem is, thanks very much!

A response to the last three messages:

1. There was certainly nothing wrong with my Microsoft update settings as I have had no problems except when ASC was on my machine.

2. I sympathise with jimczyz as I had the same situation and had to do a clean re-install to have access to both automatic and manual Microsoft updates.

3. I am sorry but I am not prepared to fiddle with ASC settings as it has alreaday wasted an enormous amount of my time.

Hi Araucaria (monkey-puzzle?)

Please read the manual and also Usage of IObit Products in the Lounge section e.g. Online Help for IObit Software

Cheers

solbjerg

A response to the last three messages:

1. There was certainly nothing wrong with my Microsoft update settings as I have had no problems except when ASC was on my machine.

2. I sympathise with jimczyz as I had the same situation and had to do a clean re-install to have access to both automatic and manual Microsoft updates.

3. I am sorry but I am not prepared to fiddle with ASC settings as it has alreaday wasted an enormous amount of my time.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, can you try individual module? I think maybe the problem is caused by the Registry Fix or Security Denfense module, can you try to test those 2 module and help us find out where the problem is, thanks very much!

Well, whatever was stopping it, I visited a site that needed to update microsoft silverlight and while it was going thru the prompts, it suggested I turn on the updates for other microft products which I gladly did and all is well for now. I did a test and in the settings, under registry fix, I unchecked the box for scan for activex and component and it seems to be fine when I run a scan and do the repairs. It has not done it since I unchecked that box. My son had the same problem after the first scan with the free version and also did not notice until it was too late to use a restore point so I went to the silverlight website and reinstalled it and got the same pop up suggesting he turn on the automatic updates for other ms products and it alsoi restored it for him. Seems it did something with the activex component that is needed for that. Hopefully this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Araucaria (monkey-puzzle?)

Please read the manual and also Usage of IObit Products in the Lounge section e.g. Online Help for IObit Software

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you Soljberg but that response was too general to be helpful. I have after all been running ASC and its predecessor AWC on two x32 machines without difficulty. It may be jimczyz has the answer.

Hi Araucaria

I am sorry - I wasn't aware that you were an old hand!

And your administation services were correctly set?

I once had a similar problem and discovered that if I activated BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) the problem went away.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you Soljberg but that response was too general to be helpful. I have after all been running ASC and its predecessor AWC on two x32 machines without difficulty. It may be jimczyz has the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I hit it on the head. I have tried it many times since and every time I leave the box checked to scan axtivex and components, it does it every time. When I uncheck it, it does not ever do it. Looks to me like it disables a needed active x control. Re install silverlight will bring up a bow telling you to have windows update check for other ms products and all should be good.

Archived