IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Quarantined by Malwarebytes

On 11/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, Barry999999999999999999999 said:

Malwarebytes quarantines Advanced SystemCare because of its use of PUPs.  I've tried getting Malwarebytes to ignore it but don't have the expertise to do that.  The instructions I found online do not match my version of Malwarebytes.

Malware bytes is a PITA and should be informed that ASC is not a problem

Dave C

• 3 weeks later...

After a lot of research, it was interesting to find out the corporate battles that took place between certain companies.  Even today, there are still people out there that believe that a PUP file is an actual file with the file extention .pup (of all things).  A PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) file really is defined by those who "want to define" them as such.  The usual reason they get defined this way, ...is that these programs do certain things behind people's backs or without their knowledge, such as install 3rd party software or "bundleware" without your knowledge or consent, while others will constantly bombard you with advertisements, pop-ups, or even open up a separate browser window or tab to take you to other sites when you are using their software.

Iobit has historically walked a fine-line when it comes to this, not actually going over the edge into the PUP world, but in being sly enough to pull out the stops when it comes to pop-up ads and coercing people into installing stuff from their partners and supporting vendors (if you don't pay attention during installation their products).

That doesn't mean the products aren't good.  I love their products.  But it does mean that in order to make things work, you have to go in and adjust program settings, and also stay wise to the fact that Iobit can get you to install something without your awareness if you don't pay enough attention to what you click on or during their product installs.

Every company has their own issues.  It's funny, I probably hate Malwarebytes way more than I get aggravated with Iobit.  Years ago, Malwarebytes was notorius for "taking-over" your computer and doing whatever it wanted to in the name and sake of protection, and I've seen a lot of other antivirus/malware software follow the same path.  Funny, because I eventually went back to using Malwarebytes since they fixed things and "toned-down".  I guess enough people screamed and complained to them about it.  People want to use Malwarebytes because they have a good effective product and a reputation for getting 98% of the bad stuff, but sometimes ...it can be too aggressive, and definitely does make mistakes and quarantine stuff it shouldn't.

Unfortunately Malwarebytes and Iobit apparently had it out, including a court case.  So even if Iobit has had a little bit of reputation of being "PUP" like, there is definitely something else in the air when it comes to these two companies.

It's 2022 now.  I did look at Malwarebytes latest offering and saw they fixed some things and toned down.  It is very easy now to do a custom full /C: scan, let it catch all the Iobit files it "thinks" are PUP files, and then make the proper selections to have Malwarebytes "ignore" those files permanently.  You can also choose to white-list any files/programs as well (in the "Allow" list).  I personally am now running Iobit programs and Malwarebytes together side-by-side perfectly now with no problems yet.

1 hour ago, Scannan said:

If you have the time to...MOAN....consider actually doing something that would help others.

I would if there was anything I could do, but your "You should be raising this issue on a Malwarebytes Forum" was already so intensely helpful - there's simply nothing anyone could add. To your help of others. So helpful. Thank you.

9 minutes ago, NonYaBizNiz said:
1 hour ago, Scannan said:

If you have the time to...MOAN....consider actually doing something that would help others.

I would if there was anything I could do, but your "You should be raising this issue on a Malwarebytes Forum" was already so intensely helpful - there's simply nothing anyone could add. To your help of others. So helpful. Thank you.

['Add-it':] Having just checked your profile - since I have spare time waiting for my question to be answered - not only does your hypocrisy take away any right you have to speak about anyone moaning, but given that 13 out of the 15 comments on your first page are spiteful, disrespectful comments, of use to nobody at all: This forum would actually be improved in general by your silence.