IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System Tray Icons Remove

demitris

I would also like to know if there is an answer to dilemma in that I have icons in the tray from dozens of programs that I uninstalled so long ago that the icons no longer accompany the programs that they originally represented!

~Maxx~

There is a solution for that.

Please follow the procedure below:

Right click on taskbar=> Properties=>Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window=>check the Hide inactive icons checkbox=>click Customize button=>Customize Notification window=>scroll down to Past Items

You will see the icons you have used before.

Now download the attached zip file, extract the "systray_cleanup.reg" file anywhere you like. Double click on it and you will be asked if you would like to add the information to the registry, click YES. Click OK to the next window.

Restart your PC.

Check if the icons still exist in Past Items using the above pocedure.

I think you will not have the problem of having past item icons anymore.

If you are unsure of what you re doing, before executing the registry change, open the registy file with notepad, and go to the each reistry entry shown there and make a note of the existing values and backup them, in case you want to change them to the same values again.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

systray_cleanup.zip

hi enoskype

thank you for the information but i decided to leave things as they are.

searching in web i found various ways to fix the problem e.g. getting in regedit and deleting streamicons and pasticons

At the end this is not an annoying situation compare to - random

non-loading of basic icons in the tray (power or network or volume or date or a compination of these) and needing a second boot to restore.

If u have any idea about the latter problem but not very drastic i would appreciate

thanks

ps. sometimes is better to live with a bullet in your head than to die during the operation

Missing Tray Icons

Hi Demitris,

Pleae have a look at HERE. I had the same problem, and it repeats itself from time to time. Past icons' presence is one of the reasons of missing icons. Instead of restarting the OS, log off and log on again temporarily solves the problem too.

I have solved it reading the WHOLE (very long one) article and tryig most of them.

At the end of the day you have to play with the registry anyway. :evil:

I still use the Tiny Watcher with half success.:mrgreen:

If any of it solves your problem, please let me know.

Cheers.

hi enoskype

I think I found out what was the problem with my system tray at least.

I removed an icon for the Microsoft One Note program that i didn't set there and i think was put there during last automatic updates by Microsoft.

After the removal i had no problems on repeated bootings.

Now i believe that this startup program was very demanding and the system tray loader couldn't overcome.

Anyway in the next few days i will be sure if this was the problem

cheers

You might want to look at System Tray Cleaner 2.0.

Detailer- I downloaded and installed System Tray Cleaner last night and it works as advertised although I was hoping to be able to remove the 35 useless tray icons belonging to programs that I uninstalled long ago and no longer appear in the tray. Although it worked great I was rather surprised that this 1.28 MB program would leave 65 items in the Registry after it was uninstalled which required removal by a 3rd party program.

~Maxx~

There is a solution for that.

Please follow the procedure below:

Right click on taskbar=> Properties=>Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window=>check the Hide inactive icons checkbox=>click Customize button=>Customize Notification window=>scroll down to Past Items

You will see the icons you have used before.

Now download the attached zip file, extract the "systray_cleanup.reg" file anywhere you like. Double click on it and you will be asked if you would like to add the information to the registry, click YES. Click OK to the next window.

Restart your PC.

Check if the icons still exist in Past Items using the above pocedure.

I think you will not have the problem of having past item icons anymore.

If you are unsure of what you re doing, before executing the registry change, open the registy file with notepad, and go to the each reistry entry shown there and make a note of the existing values and backup them, in case you want to change them to the same values again.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype :-)

I used systray_cleanup and everything seemed to go ok, it said my registry had been changed, I did a reboot but all my Past Items were still there.

I used a VBScript from Kellys Korner:

Remove Past Items From Notification Area (Line# 53)

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

This did remove the past items but over time new ones were added to the list.

So from my experience systray_cleanup does not delete the Past Items and it does not stop items from being added.

Am I doing something wrong ?

All the best, woz of oz

EDIT: I just noticed you were replying to Max Anyway, hi detailer :-)

It's certainly not worth losing sleep over :mrgreen:

I'm just wondering why it didn't work for me when it seemed to work for enoskype, tis my curious nature :wink:

By the way, using Remove Past Items From Notification Area from Kellys Korner works but it also resets all Current Items to 'Hide when inactive'

It is more of a pain to change some Items to my preferred setting than it is to look at the list of Past Items.

Once a month cleanup will be sufficient methinks.

All the best, woz of oz

The thing that bothers me most about the past items in my computer's system tray is that the icons have become associated with the names of currently running programs and this is why I would like to be able to eliminate them.

~Maxx~

Hi Max

Have you tried updating the icon cache by Desktop/properties/color depth

change the color depth-apply-ok, then do it again and change it back to your preferred setting.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. If you have the problem in IE too, you could try to delete temporary internet files

The thing that bothers me most about the past items in my computer's system tray is that the icons have become associated with the names of currently running programs and this is why I would like to be able to eliminate them.

~Maxx~

• 1 year later...

You can right click on the taskbar then click on properties, under the tab taskbar right next to the words hide inactive icons, you can click customize and choose which icons you dont want seen. There's the option to hide when inactive, always hide, or always show. Hope I helped! :razz:

Archived