IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart ram

Bjer

Hi :)

• Launch SmartRAM

• Click Settings

• Un-Tick Run at Windows Startup

• Click OK

Restart your computer to turn off SmartRAM immediately

EDIT: And the above (I have never right clicked the icon, I learnt something today) :)

All the best, woz of oz

How do I turn it off? Attempting to click on the red x OFF buttons doesn't work. Many thanks.

Hi, all, and thank you for your replies. I hadn't mentioned at first that I'd tried the right click approach (that's usually the first or second thing I try with anything). It didn't work, either. It gave me two options, but Exit wasn't one of them. I finally had to uninstall ASC to get rid of it, but that's okay; I'm used to little hitches and glitches. LOVE ASC. Thanks again and y'all have a great day/night/week, wherever you are.

What have you tried ?

Does it appear in your System Tray (bottom right corner) maybe it is hidden.

Here is the basic procedure:

• Launch Advanced System Care

• Select Utilities

• Select SmartRAM

• Look in the System Tray for the icon and click on it (the SmartRAM window will pop-up)

• Select Settings

• Tick Run at Windows Startup to have it always enabled and Tick all other boxes.

• Click Ok and you will see that Smart free on and Auto free on have a green tick

• Click Go to have SmartRAM do it's thing right now, if you want (this is not 'necessary' up to you)

• Click Minimize

Done :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

DGT- Smart RAM Auto Free has proven to be effective beyond my highest expectations in the year long quest to tame Memory Leak in the Vista OS that I run. Originally Vista would be using 1.1-1.2 GB of RAM at this point in a session, but after implementing a set of Vista Ultralite modifications along with with IObit ASC Auto Free engaged the RAM usage has dropped to as low as almost 1/3 of what it was using when the my 3 GB RAM HP Pavilion Notebook Computer was new...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/435MBBenchmark_700.jpg

When taking into consideration that the Vista OS uses about a 172 MB larger System Cache than XP does it puts a whole new perspective on the popularized notion that Vista is a resource hog in that XP would have to be running at 263 MB of RAM to be as efficient as Vista in this Task Manager screenshot and I have watched my friend's XP SP3 boot up at 380 MB RAM which I have read is a fairly common amount of course he doesn't have the advantage of Smart RAM Auto Free either.

~Maxx~

I have seen quite a few articles on the internet that state that Windows XP and newer OS's manage their own memory very well. A welcome change from the bad old days of DOS and Windows ME and older.

I have been using Smart Ram, but after turning it off I can't honestly say I have seen performance change either for the better or worse.

If it isn't really needed why use even a small amount of system resources to run it. I've even read that 3rd party memory managers actually impair Windows performance, since they have to guess what processes, services, and programs Windows isn't using and won't need.

The articles I'm referring to are not from MicroSlop, lol.

Just wondering...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/SmartRAM-450.png

Smart RAM more than compensates for the 2 MB of RAM that is required run it by recovering huge chunks of memory leaks on my Vista computer ever since it was installed. Without Smart RAM my computer used an average of 1,500 MB of RAM each day. With Smart RAM it uses a total of about 680 MB of RAM each day. If the OS was doing its job correctly and without memory leaks Smart RAM would not be able to cut down on RAM usage an average of 820 MB of RAM each day which to me is worth Smart RAM's 2 MB RAM requirement.

~Maxx~

wozofoz- I experimented with using Smart Free RAM Compession, but I could not tell the difference between when it was in use and not in use according to the readings I got from my Memory Information Tool. It could be that on a computer with less than 3 GB of RAM like mine has which has a minimum of 77% free RAM at all times that the Smart RAM Compression would have more of a noticeable impact like the amazing Smart RAM Auto Free RAM feature which has revolutionized my computer's Memory Management.

This is just an educated guess based both on my experience and the fact that RAM compression technology was first implemented back in the Win 95 days when RAM was scarce and very expensive.

~Maxx~

peastoyou- From what those who run the different versions of Win 7 are saying it handles memory in very much the same way as Vista does so it would be much to the advantage of those who run 64 bit Win 7 to be able to take advantage of the many benefits of using IObit Smart RAM in recovering memory leaks.

~Maxx~

Smart Ram

I've never been a fan of the Smart Ram feature in ASC. I run an old XP with 512 meg of Ram, so maximizing my Ram efficiently and correctly has always been a goal for me. Smart Ram never did more than free up a very modest amount of Ram. The best Ram tool I have found is "CleanMem" from PC Wintech. It resides in task manager and runs automatically every half hour, then exits. It frees Ram better and more effectively than any other Ram tool I have ever used, without compromising other processes. For you techies (which I am not), there is a detailed explanation of how it works here (about half way down the web page):

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

The best Ram tool I have found is "CleanMem" from PC Wintech. It resides in task manager and runs automatically every half hour, then exits. It frees Ram better and more effectively than any other Ram tool I have ever used.

skyliner- Could you share some screenshots of how much RAM CleanMem frees up showing how much more effective it is than IObit Smart RAM?

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/SmartRAM-450.png

~Maxx~

Smart Ram vs CleanMem

I'll be happy to post some screenshots captured from my task manager, taken at intervals where a Ram differential can be shown after Clean Mem has run. This will be in a subsequent post.

Please note that I am only coming from my own personal experience and therefore am not disqualifying Smart Ram as a good tool for other users, but only what has worked best for me. If my experience is unique, I'll own that.

I have no saved data from the days I used smart Ram, but typically, it would never free up more than 25-50 meg or so, with no other processes running.

I also want to point out that I am not a techie and so I am curious as to what you think of the validity of the data posted about CleanMem on the web page I cited.

I also want to make it clear that I am a strong user of ASC and its OTHER cleanup features, and also Smart Defrag, so I have no agenda to diminish Iobit in any way. This discussion focuses on my experience with Smart Ram only.

Smart Ram vs Clean Mem

Hi again

I hope the posted screen shots come out ok and give you the data you need,

The "Ram1" screenhot was taken at 6:06 pm, local time. It displayed about 256 Meg of free Ram, roughly 1/2 of my total available Ram. The "Ram2" screenshot, was taken at about 6:30pm, just after CleanMem executed. I shot up to 358 meg of free RAM.

From what I understand, the program allows/"tells" Windows to free what it can/should, without over-freeing Ram and compromising running processes.

Thanks again for any insight and data you can share.

Note: If my RAM chips weren't so old and expensive, I'd just as soon upgrade to the 2 gig of Ram that it can handle, but spending that kind of money just isnt worth it

skyliner

What type of Ram are we talking about? I know I bought two extra Gigs for this box for less than 1 Gig (@ $40) for my daughter's five year old HP.Brought her up to 1.5 Gig and no more Smart Ram running on that baby anymore.Night and day.My experience with SR was the same as yours while running 2 Gigs on this box-maybe 20 mb release when used on demand after a good length of time.Which is why I never even considered running it in the background-would take more than that to run,wouldn't it? Guess my dual core is efficient.

Archived