IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Your Computer May be at Risk

Ted

After using Revo to uninstall a programme today RegSeeker found 45 further registry entries, all legitimate, so I deleted them. However when booting up I now get the "Your Computer May be at Risk" message. Avast is running okay and I've done a complete scan with MB. Restoring the RegSeeker entries corrects the problem. I can stop that message by unticking its box in Security Centre, but am wondering why this has happened.

After using Revo to uninstall a programme today RegSeeker found 45 further registry entries, all legitimate, so I deleted them. Restoring the RegSeeker entries corrects the problem.

Could it be that RegSeeker was overzealous in recommending an additional 45 registry entries be removed? I've never had this problem using Revo and it took out over 700 registry entries after I uninstalled NIS 2009.

~Maxx~

Hi, sunny,

It's the MS popup giving the message even though Avast is doing its usual good work. I did a complete scan with MalwareBytes and it found nothing. I was going to do one with SAS as well, but it's taking ages and ages to load up these days. Quite common so I've discovered.

hi friend

Hi, Maxxwire,

Each of the RegSeeker entries had Arcsoft (The programme I was uninstalling) showing in blue letters.

This is probably no help at all and I have never had Arcsoft installed on my PC. I did a search with regseeker for Arcsoft any way and found nothing. What does that prove?? Maybe that regseeker didn't remove some thing it shouldn't. Maybe it proves nothing. Maybe it proves that computers are a pain in the ass. How are you my friend?? These PC's will drive you to drinking.

Seriously

After using Revo to uninstall a programme today RegSeeker found 45 further registry entries, all legitimate, so I deleted them. However when booting up I now get the "Your Computer May be at Risk" message. Avast is running okay and I've done a complete scan with MB. Restoring the RegSeeker entries corrects the problem. I can stop that message by unticking its box in Security Centre, but am wondering why this has happened.

Seriously, the only time I have ever seen that message( Your Computer May be at Risk) is when one of these was turned off.

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for your input.

Yes, the programme I uninstalled was ArcSoft True Media. Regarding your screenshot, if you click "Change the Way Security Centre Alerts me" in the box on the left-hand side, you can turn that Alert popup off. From what I've read by Googling, countless users are doing just that!

Hi Ted

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for your input.

Yes, the programme I uninstalled was ArcSoft True Media. Regarding your screenshot, if you click "Change the Way Security Centre Alerts me" in the box on the left-hand side, you can turn that Alert popup off. From what I've read by Googling, countless users are doing just that!

Thanks I didn't know I could turn off the alerts, but I like them on myself. I would think a problem exists if you get a warning saying (Your computer may be at risk). I've gotten pretty wild in my registry before and never seen that warning. The first thing I do when I see that is check my Avg to make sure all features are on and working. Then I check To see if my firewall in on and last check for up dates. If these are all good I never see that warning. Do you know why countless users are turning off this alert?

ted

still can't believe how good your screen shots are.

on spyware I have both SAS & MBAM and scan every now and then I find SAS has the edge but would take ages to scan, still building a new pc with a quadcore CPU SAS scan is done in about 15 mins instead of 1.5 hours or more in full scan mode.

Gary

Only if it was a Windows file you big dummy http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-11.png http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-12.png http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-18.gif Walked right into that one.

Hi Guys,

Could it be that registry entry deleted for antivirus and/or firewall disable notify?

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Cheers.

Only if it was a Windows file you big dummy http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-11.png http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-12.png http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-18.gif Walked right into that one.

Ok What is a dll file??

Hi Guys,

Could it be that registry entry deleted for antivirus and/or firewall disable notify?

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Cheers.

Like this enoskype??

By the tedious process of searching the ArcSoft entries with RegSeeker, deleting a few, rebooting, then restoring if necessary and searching again, I've narrowed it down to one of the three entries in the attachment. One of these is the rogue entry! Whittling it down further will be slow, if I don't guess the correct one, for when I reboot now and do a new search a further eight ArcSoft entries appear.

detailer: About RegSeeker's scungy Restore function: It works every time with me when I just manually click the Registry entry in its Backup folder. Too hit and miss using the interface option.

BTW. All of RegSeeker's Error messages are written in French, or have I configured something wrongly?

Okay, I've solved one problem:

My PATH file had been deleted in Environment Variables and Avast was unable to access the C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository folder. I created a temporary PATH file which got things going and then I contacted the Macrium Support forum. They gave me details on how to read the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Environment key from a Macrium Reflect Image I'd created before my trouble started. I found the key, copied it and pasted to my current Key. All fixed!

I'll forget about those three odd ArcSoft entries. There are probably hundreds of other leftovers, anyway.

Ted- You were smart to image your computer before all of the trouble started! I'm glad that you got your computer up and running again.

Does the function of this Backdoor.32 program that 'The Spaminator' mentioned have any relevance to the problem you were having or is it and the spyware scanner he also mentioned in his last post just more of his Daily Spam IObit Campaign?

~Maxx~

Archived