IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IObit 360 Virtual Memory

garybear

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi garrybear

obviously you have very small-size RAM. Virtual memory (FILE PAGING) is a substitute of RAM and a swapping between RAM and VIRTUAL is taking action when needed.

Thrashing is a situation in which the Operating System is Starving of memory RAM & VIRTUAL. programs are asking for memory and the system can not respond and there is no progress. (at this stage check for any programs-unnecessary running at background, or even viruses-

THE SOLUTION is to increase the size of PAGE FILE (VIRTUAL memory)-maximum and minimum eg. min=3 times ram, max=5 times ram

(no defragmentation needed unless u want to increase speed a little)

the DRASTIC solution is to upgrade PC CPU and/or at least RAM

Increasing only RAM the PC performance increases incredibly.

cheers

Try this out. I had a problem like that running with 2 gigs of ram, and i still got that message

Right click on my computer ->advance->performance settings and increase the amount of virtual ram set in place.

Note this is NOT the equivalent of adding more ram. But, this fixed the situation for me.

Try this out. I had a problem like that running with 2 gigs of ram, and i still got that message

Right click on my computer ->advance->performance settings and increase the amount of virtual ram set in place.

Note this is NOT the equivalent of adding more ram. But, this fixed the situation for me.

Thanks vman. I increased virtual . It was set for minimum. Haven't seen warning since. I also ordered more RAM. Live well my friend.

I'm not very smart. I keep getting a warning my virtual memory is low. This morning my PC was locked and a warning virtual memory too low greeted me. I had to power off and back up before I could do any thing. My wife was a mad hatter. She had woke up before I did and couldn't use PC. She greeted me with that damn computer is all screwed up. After I got back up and running again, I Googled virtual memory and followed some instructions and came up with this. IObit 360 is using to damn much VM in my opinion. I know I need more RAM and I'm in the process of getting it but should 360 be using this much VM . I have also heard you now want to charge for the program. You can take this to the bank my friend, I am one of your first and most loyal subscribers, but I'm not sure that will hold true much longer. I'm very upset with you at this moment. After reading to days post, I think there are many of us. I think you have lied to us and that's not right. I will stop now before I get real angry.Live well my friends.{garybear}

I think your problem is S360.

I have the latest of S360 installed and when I ran a full system scan it consumed 7G of virtual memory and never released it even after the scan. I had to re-boot and everything was fine after that. I have 2G of memory so I do not have any memory constrains. So far I like S360 given the problem I encountered. The only thing I dislike is the fact that you have to manually check for updates. Every free version of security software out there does an automatic update. I hope IoBit considers this when they finalize the free version.

DonnyD: 7G? I think you're probably reading that wrong. For grins I just ran a quick test. Before the scan is360.exe was using 12M of RAM. When I initiated the scan it jumped to 60M and then climbed slowly to 102M. It fluctuated between 100M and 102M the rest of the scan. When it finished the scan it dropped back to 12M. I'm running WinXP Pro with 2G RAM and VM never went over 504M. That was with two other people logged into their user accounts.

I know nothing

I know nothing. I want to be a computer nerd some day, but doubt if that will ever happen. I'm to damn old to learn very much but I try real hard. I don't understand all this memory business. Is 360 using to much? Hell I don't know. I thought it was when I clicked on task manager but what do I know. I know its at the top of the list but that may be normal. If the guys say its not hogging memory then it probably isn't. I just installed more RAM and have no idea what that will do. What ever these guys tell me to do that's what I do. If they tell me to jump over a cliff, I'll probably do it.Live well my friends.{garybear}

Well done gary, now you have sufficient RAM, did you notice any difference?

What is your Pagefile size? (C:\pagefile.sys) (Unhiden hidden files in folder options.)

Stalling and freezing should have diminished.

Please give us some feedback of the behaviour of your PC, comparing before and after adding RAM. Just the feeling gary, not with any evidence what so ever.;-):lol:

Cheers.

Well done gary, now you have sufficient RAM, did you notice any difference?

What is your Pagefile size? (C:\pagefile.sys) (Unhiden hidden files in folder options.)

Stalling and freezing should have diminished.

Please give us some feedback of the behaviour of your PC, comparing before and after adding RAM. Just the feeling gary, not with any evidence what so ever.;-):lol:

Cheers.

Ha Ha Hi my friend enoskype.. Haven't noticed stalling or freezing. PC seems to be faster. Its always been fairly fast. I think the RAM has made a lot of difference. Will know more later when I have evidence.(LOL) Live well my friend.PS Is this what your asking?

Gary

Welcome to the world of "More Ram"-Great,ain't it?? I doubled mine to 4GB awhile back,which is really overkill because XP can't use it all.I've elected to go with "managed size" for my page file,and it's settled in at 3317MB.Neither Smart Ram or any of the copy-cats can find a single MB to release no matter how long I'm online or what I'm running.

DonnyD: 7G? I think you're probably reading that wrong. For grins I just ran a quick test. Before the scan is360.exe was using 12M of RAM. When I initiated the scan it jumped to 60M and then climbed slowly to 102M. It fluctuated between 100M and 102M the rest of the scan. When it finished the scan it dropped back to 12M. I'm running WinXP Pro with 2G RAM and VM never went over 504M. That was with two other people logged into their user accounts.

Hi JustDave,

You are correct it wasn't 7G it was 700+ M. I'm looking at it now through task manager and is360.exe is fluc between 300k and 768k of real memory and is holding 68M of virtual. is360tray is fluc between 512k and 1168k and holding 68M of virtual. I have not ran a scan since my last post. But will run one now to see what happens.

Thanks Gary, exactly what I wanted.

Your initial page file size is a bit small.

Because your RAM is 1 GB now, my suggestion is, increase those values to the same values as seen in my attachment in post #39 of this thread, in your Virtual Memory window.

After entering the new values, click Set button, then OK, and restart the PC.

Now you can use PageDefrag (detailer's and sunny's suggestion), to put the pagefile in one piece. (So another restart.)

(You need not to use PageDefrag in every start. (See first pharagraph of this post.)

In that way (increasing the size of your page file), the probability of fragmentation of pagefile.sys file will be much less. So better for speed.

For the last attachment of VM, well, istray360.exe, together with is360.exe, it is on the higher side. Add VM of IS360srv.exe in the middle of your screenshot too, not to mention from time to time of is360updater.exe.

If you have any questions, please shoot. :-D

Cheers my friend.

Thanks Gary, exactly what I wanted.

Your initial page file size is a bit small.

Because your RAM is 1 GB now, my suggestion is, increase those values to the same values as seen in my attachment in post #39 of this thread, in your Virtual Memory window.

After entering the new values, click Set button, then OK, and restart the PC.

Now you can use PageDefrag (detailer's and sunny's suggestion), to put the pagefile in one piece. (So another restart.)

(You need not to use PageDefrag in every start. (See first pharagraph of this post.)

In that way (increasing the size of your page file), the probability of fragmentation of pagefile.sys file will be much less. So better for speed.

For the last attachment of VM, well, istray360.exe, together with is360.exe, it is on the higher side. Add VM of IS360srv.exe in the middle of your screenshot too, not to mention from time to time of is360updater.exe.

If you have any questions, please shoot. :-D

Cheers my friend.

Is this better??

gary

those chkdsk figures are OK, its when they get to 4 figures long or so, bad sectors found you need to start looking further.

if for any reason your pc does not shut down properly, plug gets pulled out in error or power cut etc always good idea to run chkdsk. also if starting slow, noise from hard drive, sluggish pc.

otherwise just run every 3 months or so, good to see you check the results.

ss

Archived