IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Your malware experiences

vman

Well, today, someone had brought a computer heavily infected. When i say, heavily infected, i cannot explain just how bad this was. They told me it was "a little slow", but kept crashing. When i booted the P.C up myself, well, they were right...it was slow.

Turns out, they had some infection that wouldn't let anything execute, trashed the config files in the system 32 folder, and infections, loads and loads of them.

I needed an external form of scanning which was nearly impossible due to lack of ram, but, my secret weapon pulled through.

First scan, it had found about 1500 infections...(not updated)

Second scan, with avira (pc now bootable, and updated) found about 846

Ran another scan with MBAM and SAS, with about another 100 give or take...dont really remember.

The source of infection was...limewire. After cleaning it out, i got rid of it, and, after giving it back to them, got a BIG complaint about it. But still, that was one hard core clean up i did.

Share your experiences

• 3 weeks later...

The Divele's very outdated and highly prejudicial joke based on superficial and highly offensive cultural stereotypes that have become meaningless in the 21st century doesn't come close to describing the difference there is between the blissful and worry free Heaven it is to cruise the internet with a virtualized browser backed up by a highly competent multi-layered computer security system after the continual Hell of virus invasions and repeated host file infections that lead to the eventual Blue Screen of Death brought on as a result of running the highly vulnerable Norton Internet Security.

~Maxx~

The Divele's very outdated and highly prejudicial joke based on superficial and highly offensive cultural stereotypes that have become meaningless in the 21st century doesn't come close to describing the difference there is between the blissful and worry free Heaven it is to cruise the internet with a virtualized browser backed up by a highly competent multi-layered computer security system after the continual Hell of virus invasions and repeated host file infections that lead to the eventual Blue Screen of Death brought on as a result of running the highly vulnerable Norton Internet Security.

~Maxx~

Wow, what a sentence Maxx!!! :lol:

My Personal Worst

7,812 infections removed from the used rig I bought for my daughter last year.The big surprise-AVG was the only program that would download and install,and then utilizing it's "forced removal" feature,I was able to finish the clean up with another six or eight utilities.AVG took out just over five thousand to get the ball rolling.Even with all those infections,the thing would actually boot and run to some extent.Among the 83 programs I deleted was,you guessed it,Limewire. I believe Nero was another contributing factor to the huge number of infections.The security installed in that rig?-you guessed that too-Norton.Worked on that thing on and off for three days and got it running near perfect-not bad for $125 including keyboard,mouse,and a one year old LG monitor.Bring me your tired,your hungry,and your infected.(Torch burning in raised right hand)

I inherited an old PC with XP SP-1 to replace the Win '98 machine (wow, pentium II and internet capable!). I was told the registry was all screwed up & needed to have Windows re-installed, but no disc. It would not boot up. I ran safe mode system restore to the oldest point and was able to boot, but would freeze. After a while a warning would come up saying that the registry was unstable and it would try to connect to the net to "Repair" :-Pthe registry! After running SFC (no disc) I was able to remove the old security software ("N" o names mentioned) remove LIMEWIRE, & install ISD 360 (then in beta), Malwarebytes, & AVG from disc. Malwarebytes would not open. Between IS 360 & AVG I removed over 3,000 infections and gee, the unstable registry went away & I could open Malwarebytes!) I cleaned about a third of a hard disk full of trash out, ran a disk check, installed ASC & Smart Defrag and it has run like butter ever since! Fully patched now also. (Detailer- this one took me about a week to get cleaned out).

Well...today i was working on a comp that had a worm, replicating the files millions of times. The user told me that there was NO disk space left, which i thought could be possible (given an old hard drive) but this baby had 500gb, and hasn't been in use for 6 months.

It was like a last minute essay turned into a very, very strict english teacher. Red, on top of red, on top of red.

I deemed it FAIL myself.

After about, oh, 7-8 hours of scanning externally, it found about 12500 copies of the worm.

Another scan with 360 resulted in a about 600 more.

After running multiple clean up utilities, and issuing a "secure delete" of all the free space...the hard drive is back up, fresh, and clean. But man did the defrag take FOREVER.

Why,Avira,of course.Still searching for a malware add-on that's easy on memory,yet something she can manage (she's 11)Currently running Spyware Dr. Beta 7.0 The GUI and warnings are straight forward and easily understood.

PC Tools was bought out by evil Symantec...the evil norton companies. I really liked Spyware Doctor, but am scared sh*tless now that its in "their" hands.

Btw, detailer, wouldn't it be easier and lighter on the system sandbox all web browsers and have something like DefenseWall on, which requires NO user interaction? I setup my little cousins computers, forced them to buy a copy of Defensewall, shoved it in there, and they have yet to have ANY problems. They have back up scanners, all command line, "just in case"

PC Tools was bought out by evil Symantec...the evil norton companies. I really liked Spyware Doctor, but am scared sh*tless now that its in "their" hands.

I once used Spyware Doctor w/Antivirus and Process Explorer reported that it used a constant 220 MB of RAM at idle which I was then using along with the NIS 2009 Security Suite which combination had resulted in not only a virus infection, but several host file infections which eventually crashed the computer and so I replaced the dastardly duo of $100/year shareware with the light, intelligently written and completely free Comodo Internet Security which offers a much higher level of protection with a record of not a single detection of malware on my computer since installing it according to 5 different scanners for <20% of the resources that the bloated and ineffective Symantec software consumed...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/Comodo632.png

~Maxx~

Norton is King

Hell yeah-go to PC Mag and they'll rave about Norton (as they have for years)Their Editors Choice award,and "top performer" again this year.Wonder how much they make off those reviews.Buy the way Max,what's Comodo paying you? :razz::razz: Sandbox is a consideration.Symantec buying PCT doesn't scare me yet (been nearly a year already)as they don't seem to have destroyed that product line for the time being.Be really scary to think they had a hand in that new PCT firewall that tops Matousec's list!! :shock: The Beta of SD (no AV) is only pulling @ 22MB-that's all three processes with all nine IntelliGuard features enabled.As far as paying for security-I don't,period.I've got a stock pile of reg. codes for paid versions of just about anything I'd want to run.I change up security like socks,but always come back to Avira-I just haven't settled on a dance partner for it yet.Besides,look at all the great Freeware choices.I heard once from a guy on a forum that Comodo was good :roll: Off topic: what's this crap I can only have four smileys in my post? When did this happen? Screw this-I'm going back to Wilders,or maybe polish my router (insert razz)

Hi detailer

Curiously enough you probably haven't needed 10 smilies before (the four smilies limit has been there all along to my knowledge) :-)

It is a full moon and I too have been thinking about a little "moonshine" :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hell yeah-go to PC Mag and they'll rave about Norton (as they have for years)Their Editors Choice award,and "top performer" again this year.Wonder how much they make off those reviews.Buy the way Max,what's Comodo paying you? :razz:Sandbox is a consideration.Symantec buying PCT doesn't scare me yet (been nearly a year already)as they don't seem to have destroyed that product line for the time being.Be really scary to think they had a hand in that new PCT firewall that tops Matousec's list!! :shock: The Beta of SD (no AV) is only pulling @ 22MB-that's all three processes with all nine IntelliGuard features enabled.As far as paying for security-I don't,period.I've got a stock pile of reg. codes for paid versions of just about anything I'd want to run.I change up security like socks,but always come back to Avira-I just haven't settled on a dance partner for it yet.Besides,look at all the great Freeware choices.I heard once from a guy on a forum that Comodo was good Off topic: what's this crap I can only have four smileys in my post? When did this happen? Screw this-I'm going back to Wilders,or maybe polish my router (insert razz)

Sandboxie, God how i love that program. So light, but epically secure. Anyway, im still waiting for Tim to send me the command line scanner of the 360 solution. Its been a while...like 4 days since i PM'd him...

Sniff Sniff, everyone is forgetting about VMAN =[

Buy the way Max,what's Comodo paying you? :razz::razz:

The only compensation I have received from Comodo has been an absolutely free layered Internet Security Suite that runs for <20% of the resources that Norton and PC Tools together could provide and so far CIS has not let one piece of malware into my computer thanks to their dedicated team of Developers who interact with Comodo end users on a daily basis and through this continual feedback are able to constantly improve upon the effectiveness and usability of Comodo Internet Security with 6 new updated versions in just the last 4 months. This has been my (no) Malware experience.

~Maxx~

PS- Since the Comodo Firewall Pro Defense+ uses one of if not the finest Hostbased Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) of any freeware Firewall I have been able to safely turn off the nagging Vista UAC with its intrusive, persistent and endlessly repetitive prompts and replace it with a more efficient and effective security solution which I would not have been able to do with other leading Firewalls which do not benefit from the high level of real time protection that a well designed HIPS program can provide.

I couldn't possibly agree with you more vman! Sandboxie brings the confidence of Virtual Browsing to everyone who uses it regardless of which Browser they prefer to use!

~Maxx~

If only 64 bit had support, wow. Stupid patch gaurd.

Archived