IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

All disk blocks immovable...

Hi there,

I've just installed Smart Defrag and all the disk blocks are shown as immovable. I installed it on my mates PC and its fine.

I'm running Vista home premium and have only 5% disk free, but I've read the other post re this and space does not seem to matter. In fact turning off the ignore file size option fixed his problem but it doesn't fix mine. But then it sounds as if only part of his disk was immovable.

Does anyone have any clues as to what this could be? I'm happy to make more space on my 150Gb disk but I'm not convinced this is the problem as I have run defrag on other PCs with very little space - it just takes longer and more runs to get a good disk.

I've attached a screen dump.

Any thoughts? thanks

Andrew

Hi andrew

I would still aim at having at least 15% available free space.

Have you tried the IObit Registry Defrag or perhaps page defrag?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi there,

I've just installed Smart Defrag and all the disk blocks are shown as immovable. I installed it on my mates PC and its fine.

I'm running Vista home premium and have only 5% disk free, but I've read the other post re this and space does not seem to matter. In fact turning off the ignore file size option fixed his problem but it doesn't fix mine. But then it sounds as if only part of his disk was immovable.

Does anyone have any clues as to what this could be? I'm happy to make more space on my 150Gb disk but I'm not convinced this is the problem as I have run defrag on other PCs with very little space - it just takes longer and more runs to get a good disk.

Any thoughts? thanks

Andrew

Free Space Does Matter

Well,the last time I tried to help with this same type of problem,the jackass just argued about my advice,so try to free up some space anyway is all I'm going to say..Also,I don't believe page defrag is recommended for Vista,unless they've changed it.I have never seen that many locked files on a drive-ever.Do you frequently use file compression? Could be an issue there.

Hi both Detailer and Soljberg,

Working in a support centre I know what you are saying detailer.

I have now freed up 35Gb of space and the problem still exists. And it's with all defraggers I've tried, and with all disks I plug into my PC.... so it must be something in my OS.

I am an administrator user, and have turned off UAC. I've also uninstalled my virus checker and do not run a firewall. I'm trying to keep this as clean as possible.

My FS is NTFS but have successfully used Sma4rt defrag on these before.

Maybe it's something in the permissions? or File access? ANy other thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew

Try this-uncheck the "skip files" option in SD.Disable hibernation,if enabled.Looks like you have plenty of free space,but you could delete the following if you want to experiment > All but last restore point > page files > prefetch files.Sounds like you've used a few,but have you tried this utility? Has worked very well for XP,but nothing seems to work with Win7 due to shadow copy service.That can be disabled as well to perform an optimized defrag,but most likely your restore points will disappear as mine did.A problem I never had with XP,and with 7 being somewhat Vista,you might want to keep that in mind (the restore point issue)

Hi andrew,

the new things i could suggest is

a) to check in properties of Harddisk by right-clicking whether is protected in some-way eg. compressed, protected by DEEP-FREEZE...

b) check the size of Swap-File of VIRTUAL-MEMORY .It is immovable and maybe is set to occupy all free space or a great percetage of it.

if it is so reduce it.

cheers

I registered here just to report that this is happening to me and my girlfriend's computers as well.

My computer is a laptop with Vista SP1 and a 320GB HD. I've been using smartdefrag for months. At first it moved everything around nicely, then more and more stuff became "immovable." This was with more than 60% of the disk free space.

I figured that smartdefrag simply found the best place to put files when it "optimized" them and them marked them immovable because they wouldn't need to be moved after that.

So lately defrags would literally take seconds. Then I installed the most recent update about a half-hour ago (v1.2) and it found 8000 fragmented files (admittedly there's only 75GB free now). So I realized that smartdefrag just wasn't doing any defragging for the past few months :(

Same thing is happening with my girlfriend's computer. She's got a desktop with XP SP3 and I set it up to auto-defrag every week. Now everything is marked immovable and nothing defrags. She's already got v1.2 so maybe I'll just uninstall it then reinstall it. Dunno.

I think it's smartdefrag because I've never had another defragger do this, and I've been running defraggers for years.

PS: error-checked both HDs. No disk errors. And I have unchecked the "skip files larger than X" option. No difference.

Hi Zurky

Please try writing immovable in "Search" on the toolbar, and see if there is something in those threads/posts you can use.

Enjoy your reading :-)

What kind of files take up the space in your computers?

Have you ever run a registry defrag?

Cheers

solbjerg

I registered here just to report that this is happening to me and my girlfriend's computers as well.

My computer is a laptop with Vista SP1 and a 320GB HD. I've been using smartdefrag for months. At first it moved everything around nicely, then more and more stuff became "immovable." This was with more than 60% of the disk free space.

I figured that smartdefrag simply found the best place to put files when it "optimized" them and them marked them immovable because they wouldn't need to be moved after that.

So lately defrags would literally take seconds. Then I installed the most recent update about a half-hour ago (v1.2) and it found 8000 fragmented files (admittedly there's only 75GB free now). So I realized that smartdefrag just wasn't doing any defragging for the past few months :(

Same thing is happening with my girlfriend's computer. She's got a desktop with XP SP3 and I set it up to auto-defrag every week. Now everything is marked immovable and nothing defrags. She's already got v1.2 so maybe I'll just uninstall it then reinstall it. Dunno.

I think it's smartdefrag because I've never had another defragger do this, and I've been running defraggers for years.

PS: error-checked both HDs. No disk errors. And I have unchecked the "skip files larger than X" option. No difference.

thanks, and no those didn't help. We have very average, consumer computers. System files, some mp3s, some videos, games, word processing software, etc. Totally average.

And what's weird was that stuff that wasn't tagged as 'immovable' slowly became tagged that way. We have nothing strange running in the background-- no resident virus scanner, nothing. She mostly uses hers to surf the internet and check her email and watch the occasional downloaded vid. That's it. Compared to a lot of computers these are pretty bare-bones systems.

I'll see what v1.2 does with my system. These systems are totally consumer-based, like I said.

I've done a registry cleanup on her XP system a few times but not on my vista. I do a virus scan manually every week or so.

Different train of thought.

You have a process running that interferes with smart defrag. Mine is also only a "consumer PC", as is almost everybodys here. I suggest you take a snapshot of your system and post it here so the smart guys(not me) can see! I suspect your wifes log will be huge. Please describe age, operating platform, processor, ... the whole works.

I've been to many forums and you have the opportunity to seize hold of one thats not full of A-holes (maybe oly a few) but they know their sh__ and have a right to come off that way. They are still here cause they care!

Plz give the smart guys(not me) full info and they will help you fix.

Why do you lock up so much of your hard drives whe simple data is so easily and cheaply, stored, and removed from {[lightning strikes]}, system crash, etc.?

Plz post logs!

Thanx!!!

• 1 month later...

Keep more disk free space

Andrew,

I've been fighting Windows bugs since Windows version 2.0.

Never! Ever! run Windows with less than 15% to 20% free disk space on the primary drive (the drive that boots Windows and contains the OS). Running with a full disk means that the RESTORE function will not work correctly, if it works at all. Many other programs, particularly memory-intensive graphics editors and video editors also require large amounts of temporary drive space to maintain backups and multiple layers of UNDO. DEFRAG also requires a large amount of free drive space to run normally.

I try to keep at least 30% free space, and move files and programs to an external drive whenever the primary drive fills up. Now that large external drives can be added at low cost, keeping the primary drive free enough to avoid problems is very easy.

Regards,

DL

Hi there,

Any thoughts? thanks

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Archived