IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

17 hours and counting? (Fast optimize, one drive)

Buz

I've been using Smart Defrag for over a year and never have run into this before.

This is a new drive in this relatively new computer.

I started a (recommended) "fast optimize" on this drive 4 hours ago...

1tb drive with about 600gb of files (400 free); mostly large Hi-Def recorded video... ...1st time I've defragged it, since the drive is only a couple of weeks old. (about half of the files were copied from a smaller drive which this one replaced, but with random checking, all files copied perfectly and are fully functional).

My problem is:

Ever since I started the "fast optimize" about 5 hours ago, the "remaining time" has been increasing instead of decreasing. ...and watching the process shows very little progress.

As I type this, the "remaining time" is up to 12:43:01, and keeps climbing at the rate of nearly 3 minutes of run time. (now up to 14 hours and climbing while I've been typing this)

One thing I do know is that it's not a resource problem; I'm only using 12% of cpu resources and 32% of memory.

(i7 quad core, 12gb ddr3 triple-channel ram, Vista Ultimate 64 bit).

Is this a normal situation?

Do I dare to interrupt the process and start over?

I sure don't want to damage any of the files; some of the saved files are irreplaceable.

Any help, comments, advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Update 2:

I've been letting the computer alone and not doing anything else with it.

I'm currently using 13% of cpu resources according to task manager. Evidently, all of that is IObit Smart defrag.

It's also using almost 34K of memory.

Does that mean it's actually doing something and I just need to be more patient?

This seems to be getting a little ridiculous!

It's now been over five hours since my first post... ...nearly 14 hours since I started to defrag the drive, and the "time remaining" is still increasing. It's now up to 22 hours remaining. Will this ever end?

Do I dare to simply stop it? What are the repercussions of interrupting a defrag?

Can no one help me out?

Hi Buz,

It may be the large video files that are the problem. Many say that defragging these are not a good idea. In settings you can "skip files over XX gb",but I wouldn't try to change that in the middle of a defrag.

Info: the remaining time clock is known not to be real accurate. If the progress bar is still moving you might let it go and see if it finishes.

samr.

Interesting problem. I seem to be having exactly the same problem - just not running quite so long. Otherwise the same: large drive, new computer, software reloaded and all check, etc. This kind of problem may never be resolved. I might start looking elsewhere for defrag.

chinsting

Hi "those having problems"

I would like a clarification as to what problem we are talking about.

If it is the duration of the defrag it has to do with how large the disk is, how little free space left, the computers speed, the amount of RAM, what kind of files (videoes+large pictures for example) and so on.

If it is the timer - well in that case it has been discussed several times and you can find references to it (with links) in

Online Help for IObit Software

in the Smart Defrag section there.

Apparently it is hard to make a time left code - it doesn't work well either in several other programs I have come across.

One idea of mine is that the data of the timer is being moved around by the defrag process and somehow therefore shows a rising time left.

I have been meaning to suggest to IObit that they use a simple timer that just shows how long the application has been running and leave the calculation up to the user (he/she can calculate the time left by comparing expired time and the progress of the progress bar.)

But I haven't thought about it for a long time, as it doesn't bother me - even if 10% fragmented by me (60% free diskspace/total 60GB) it does not use more than about 15-20 minutes to finish (even though the timer at some point will say several hours). This timing seems to depend also on what kind of defrag you have chosen, - by me it usually shows it correct in the "Just Defrag" mode.

What do you think?

Cheers

solbjerg

Interesting problem. I seem to be having exactly the same problem - just not running quite so long. Otherwise the same: large drive, new computer, software reloaded and all check, etc. This kind of problem may never be resolved. I might start looking elsewhere for defrag.

chinsting

I have been meaning to suggest to IObit that they use a simple timer that just shows how long the application has been running.....

Seconded :!:

I too have been meaning to make a suggestion for the SmartDefrag countdown timer and so it seems this may be an appropriate time and place.

The first time I used SmartDefrag the countdown timer told me the defrag would take over one hour, I did not have one hour to spare so I stopped the defrag.

In hindsight this was not necessary as it only takes 5 > 15 minutes and possibly not a smart thing to do but as a new user I did not know.

I admit I did not fully read up on SmartDefrag but then I had used the Windows defrag before and so thought it would at least be close to the same time.

I only mention this because, based on the exaggerated countdown time, there may be new users who will decide that SmartDefrag (or any defrag tool) that takes that long is not worth the time and trouble and so, like me, stop the defrag.

I have since found SmartDefrag to be fast, efficient and stable, I thoroughly recommend it.

But, to put it bluntly, the countdown timer is totally useless and more than that, confusing.

Please change it or get rid of it :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi wozofoz

I just ran a Fast optimize.

It started off by telling me that it would need 20 minutes to finish, this rose to 22 minutes, then vacilliated/oscillated between 22 and 20 minutes.

When it finished it said 20 minutes remaining

The actual scanning time was a bit more than 6 minutes!!

Not terribly precise :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Seconded :!:

I too have been meaning to make a suggestion for the SmartDefrag countdown timer and so it seems this may be an appropriate time and place.

The first time I used SmartDefrag the countdown timer told me the defrag would take over one hour, I did not have one hour to spare so I stopped the defrag.

In hindsight this was not necessary as it only takes 5 > 15 minutes and possibly not a smart thing to do but as a new user I did not know.

I admit I did not fully read up on SmartDefrag but then I had used the Windows defrag before and so thought it would at least be close to the same time.

I only mention this because, based on the exaggerated countdown time, there may be new users who will decide that SmartDefrag (or any defrag tool) that takes that long is not worth the time and trouble and so, like me, stop the defrag.

I have since found SmartDefrag to be fast, efficient and stable, I thoroughly recommend it.

But, to put it bluntly, the countdown timer is totally useless and more than that, confusing.

Please change it or get rid of it :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived