IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Fragmentation level

Well. Since yesterday I've not rebooted a computer and I've being using it, in order to see at what time the autodefrag starts again.

So far, when I analyze my C drive with smartdefrag it says:

Total Fragments: 994

Fragmented files: 269

The optimization level says "Your Hard Drive Optimization: Excellent"

So... I also have the same question... at what level???

How does autodefrag determines when to start autodefrag???

Thanks

Well, I've on one of my stations a large file of 20 GB (not an error...) which consists of about 24000 fragments.

This is still no reason for ISD to start defragging it, or perhaps it can't defrag it, since the manual defrag leaves it alone too.

Here is a bit of information from IObit.

Question:

What is the fragmentation level or the criteria that ISD Auto-Defrag starts defragmentation?

Information:

Auto-defrag will stop its work when no inactive fragments in system partition can be defragged. But there is still some fragments in system partition due to many fragmented files are running. You can not defrag file that are running. For example, you are surfing the Internet with FireFox and auto-defrag can not defrag all fiels related to FireFox. Autodefrag will only defrag them when you exit FireFox.

Thanks for the information enoskype.

Perhaps iobit staff will be able to tell us the way auto-defrag works, when it's triggered (number of fragmented files or % of fragmentation).

The machine I was testing, and from where I took the values posted in this thread, needed to be rebooted.

After that SmartDefrag started to run it's autodefrag routine, and when the cpu was over 10% it paused. It ended and then I Analyzed my C drive and smartdefrag reported 0 fragments.

Based on that, and the fact that after installing beta 3.1 it began to run the autodefrag, makes me wonder that the autodefrag only works when the program is started, and it's not triggered again unless you restart smartdefrag.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Autodefrag

Hi Everybody,

Maybe a little bit late for this discussion, but not too late.

You are invited to :arrow: http://www.disklace.com to see how we measure fragmentation, is such a way that an automatic defrag can be used.

The entry level solutions are free, but organizations and companies has to purchase it.

It is the same discussion type like you had here that made us developped the measurement of fragmentation concept, and turn it into a product.

Koby.

Hi kobyb

As I read your chart - a level at around 1000 fragments is the point where the slowing down effect starts to grow at a faster rate.

On my machine that is approximately equivalent to 1%

Is that a fair interpretation?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Everybody,

Maybe a little bit late for this discussion, but not too late.

You are invited to :arrow: http://www.disklace.com to see how we measure fragmentation, is such a way that an automatic defrag can be used.

The entry level solutions are free, but organizations and companies has to purchase it.

It is the same discussion type like you had here that made us developped the measurement of fragmentation concept, and turn it into a product.

Koby.

Ok kobyb

Your missing response leaves me with the conclusion that you just took the opportunity to advertise your product.

This isn't generally allowed and may lead to banning.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi kobyb

As I read your chart - a level at around 1000 fragments is the point where the slowing down effect starts to grow at a faster rate.

On my machine that is approximately equivalent to 1%

Is that a fair interpretation?

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived