IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Install new over old?

kd5

I've just installed the new version over the old, it seems to be working just fine although it required a reboot to finish the installation. All my settings were retained which is nice, just wondered if installing the new over the old was actually the right thing to do? Can't find any information on installation procedures regarding this upgrade... -kd5-

Hi kd5

Usually it is ok to install over the top as we say, but once in a while some setting is left in the previous program version that can create a malfuncton of the program, in which case a clean install, as we call it, usually will solve the problem.

The above sentence or something along those lines would have been what a downloading instruction would have to incorporate, - every computer, user, setup, configuration is different.

Therefore anything can happen :-) sometimes even does :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I've just installed the new version over the old, it seems to be working just fine although it required a reboot to finish the installation. All my settings were retained which is nice, just wondered if installing the new over the old was actually the right thing to do? Can't find any information on installation procedures regarding this upgrade... -kd5-

kd5

See the link in Solbjerg's siggy? That's where you will find over the top vs. clean install procedures,and nearly everything else you need to know about IObit products.I suggest you read it in it's entirety,as it's very useful.The link used to be posted at the top of the forum page,but no more-should be put back there IMHO.

Thank you, but I already knew what happens, in most cases, when you install over the top vs. uninstalling the old & reinstalling the new, I just wanted to know what IOBit's recommended upgrade procedures were for this particular application. Some software vendors recommend that you uninstall the old first, some say that it's OK to install the new over the old, and I was asking which IOBit preferred for Security 360. -kd5-

See the link in Solbjerg's siggy? That's where you will find over the top vs. clean install procedures,and nearly everything else you need to know about IObit products.I suggest you read it in it's entirety,as it's very useful.The link used to be posted at the top of the forum page,but no more-should be put back there IMHO.

Hi

You are right, in most instances an over the top install is preferable as it keeps ones settings. (This is why Iobit doesn't specifically recommends a clean install I suppose - a clean install constitutes an uninstall of the previous program + deleting of the program folder / and then installing the new version)

After a clean install a new configuring of the program settings is required.

(This is why it is preferable for the user to use an "over the top install" - but in those probably few instances where something turns out wrong it can be a good course of action to do "a clean install")

This is all described in Usage of IObit Products in the Lounge section.

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived