IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

3 options

Trish

I have recently installed smart defrag and have it running in the background (auto defrag).

From what I gather I have 3 options: auto defrag, scheduled or run manually. Because the computer isn't actively being used the whole day is it maybe better to disenable this and run it when I want to? I'm just thinking that having it run in the background it's using resources which might defeat the object or is that not so?

Any advice will be welcome!

Welcome Trish!

SmartDefrag will help you in any of your options(3), The auto-defrag will only kick in when CPU usage is low. (Smart defrag is fairly light anyway)

The manual defrag options are personal choice(defrag only,fast optimize,deep optimize) The "deep scan" may slow your system down just a little, but you should be able to function well if you're using a reasonably modern system.

Some people "over-defrag" their system.

Running unnecessarily defrags in an attempt to improve performance or gain disk space.

I hope this helps!

Up to you, but.....

I have recently installed smart defrag and have it running in the background (auto defrag).

From what I gather I have 3 options: auto defrag, scheduled or run manually. Because the computer isn't actively being used the whole day is it maybe better to disenable this and run it when I want to? I'm just thinking that having it run in the background it's using resources which might defeat the object or is that not so?

Any advice will be welcome!

Welcome to the forum Trish :smile:

You can read more about SmartDefrag in the thread Usage of IObit Products - About SmartDefrag

If you have it set to run in the background it will use some resources (but not much I think) and will automatically defrag when system use is low or your computer has been idle for some time.

However, depending on your system and what software you have installed there may always be something happening in the background (it's a Windows thing :wink: ) and so the defrag might not happen all that often.

My personal preference is I don't have SmartDefrag enabled at StartUp or running in the background

Personally I don't have hardly anything auto turned on, this is not just for SmartDefrag but almost all my software except the essentials like anti-virus etc

To use SmartDefrag, I just pick a time that is right for me and after cleaning my disk with Advanced SystemCare disk cleaner I launch SmartDefrag, choose Fast Optomize (sometimes Deep Optimize) and go have a coffee.

Easy Peasy :smile:

I think SmatDefrag is a fantastic tool and along with Advanced SystemCare is the reason I came to use IObit products.

All the best, woz of oz

Thanks Melvin Deal and wozofoz for the advice.

I don't really like to have stuff running in the background either if it isn't necessary, prefer to run it when it suits me, so I think I'll take auto defrag off. By the way I didn't know you could "over-defrag" the system!

I just ran ASC by clicking on the CARE button (the first time I used the other buttons individually) and saw that it defragged also, showing the result of having defragged 391 files. I didn't think there would be anything to defrag seeing as auto-defrag was switched on. I checked the last defrag which showed the time only minutes before I last switched the computer off!

I'll certainly check out the thread wozofoz - thanks, this is all new to me yet.

Hi Cadssink

Do you mean the option to stop defrag if running on batteries (recommended) ?

I would not be good for your computer if you ran out of power during a defrag - could make it in-operable.

Please take a look at your options and choose the safest settings - is my recommandation.

Please click on my signature link and read the thread thoroughly.

Cheers

solbjerg

I suppose I should check my owners manual, but what is the "battery switch" listed on the options?

Archived