IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

sound problem

confused1

I,ve been using windows media player for years and now microsoft changed the way drivers are put in or something and now I have no sound on anything. I,ve searched and researched and I cant find anything wrong. One day I had sound so I could listen to my music while I worked and the next day----nothing. I,m running windows xp home edition with 2 gigs of ram and I have no other problems. I was using realtek ac '97. Has anybody had the same problem or knows what to do???

Hi

I,ve been using windows media player for years and now microsoft changed the way drivers are put in or something and now I have no sound on anything. I,ve searched and researched and I cant find anything wrong. One day I had sound so I could listen to my music while I worked and the next day----nothing. I,m running windows xp home edition with 2 gigs of ram and I have no other problems. I was using realtek ac '97. Has anybody had the same problem or knows what to do???

Hi confused. Your in the wrong place with your thread, but you might try here for a start. Open System Information. Find the tools option and seen what happens. I don't know what knowledge you have of the computer but this is a good tool. First thing make sure your speakers are still plugged in.--garybear

Hi confused

Try writing services.msc in Run - find "Windows Audio" and check its setting by right clicking on it and choosing "Properties".

I use automatic and started.

If this starts the sound you have to check the "problems" next time you run a repair in ASC - especially under System Optimize where you probably will see one problem, check that it has to do with your sound and place it in the ignore list by marking it and chosing ignore. Then the optimizing won't shut it down any more during a "repair".

Let's start with that possibility :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. the dxdiag in Run as gary suggests is also a good starting point

As is the sound settings in the control panel

Hi solbjerg

Hi confused

Try writing services.msc in Run - find "Windows Audio" and check its setting by right clicking on it and choosing "Properties".

I use automatic and started.

If this starts the sound you have to check the "problems" next time you run a repair in ASC - especially under System Optimize where you probably will see one problem, check that it has to do with your sound and place it in the ignore list by marking it and chosing ignore. Then the optimizing won't shut it down any more during a "repair".

Let's start with that possibility :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. the dxdiag in Run as gary suggests is also a good starting point

As is the sound settings in the control panel

This is where I came up with my suggestions for sound problems.---garybear

realtek onboard sound is prone to problems, i always advise a sound card or hd graphics card with sound.

but back to your case, try uninstall of all realtek software - re boot and install the latest driver from their web site.

you may have tried these already but try

right click properties and check nothing is muted, all leads are firmly in place to/from speakers, check device manager for problem warning icons, is monitor remote got sound turned up, has icon in task bar gone sound level up.

hi gary

You are absolutely right in the point you are making, that a lot can be found in the Windows Help.

I use help much more today than I did when first trying to understand the computer, I suppose it is because that I know much more what to ask for today :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. realtech driver download:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/ac97.html

This is where I came up with my suggestions for sound problems.---garybear

Archived