IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Screwd up my folders in Windows 2000

mpinkus

After installing Advanced System Care I could not access the internet and my file folders all look like the one attached ... I have now removed ASC and the file folders still look like the attachment ... what has been over-written and how can I fix it? I am running Windows 2000 Professional ... Someone HELP.

Hello enoskype ...

I had to use my program file to uninstall ASC because I could not access it through add/remove program ... ASC was interfering with my internet connection and messed up my file folders - as you can see by the jpeg. It's as if it thinks I am running XP, because the folders are a cross betwenn what they should be in 2000 and XP. And yes I did hit the restore button and nothing fixed it, that is why I had to uninstall.

Now if someone could tell me what it did to the file folders - the folders are fine on other computers (I can transfer them via USB) but when they get to my machine they look as they do in my example. Hence there is something wrong with the way 2000 is trying to read the file. Does anybody have any ideas of how to fix this problem?

M

No experience with 2000... but?!

Can you go to the restore point in 2000 and reset your system settings that way??

Do you have a total system image or backup file with which you can restore your system?

If you hadn't uninstalled ASC, you probably could have done it that way.

Provided you haven't made significant changes in your machine, you probably didn't do a clean uninstall which in this case is good. This is what Enoskype refers to... by reinstalling ASC you may be able to undo the changes.

If you decide to do this... please read the thread Enoskype linked you to thoroughly! We are all here to help!

Sincerely,

Mel

P.S. There are many users of 2000 and Advanced System Care out there! I wonder about The Zonealarm firewall and how ASC was installed through the firewall...???

2000 doesn't have a restore point - that came in with XP - now I wish I had upgraded.

If I hadn't uninstalled ASC I would not have gotten onto the internet to start asking question - talk about a catch 22.

The only thing I did was uninstall the program through the Program file - (ie: "Uninstall ASC"). But I did try to use the Restore points in ASC and that did nothing ... I also did a registry clean hoping to get back to a place where I could read my folders ... the IoBit folder is still there but the only thing in it is License.dat.

M

Hi mpinkus,

Unfortunately I have never used Win 2000, so the best thing to do is to find another user with 2000 to see what differences it has done, just sscanning and analyzing the found problems in detail, and putting them in the Ignore List.

BTW, clicking Restore at the top of the main GUI should open "Restore Center" window, and there, a date should be chosen and clicking the "Undo Changes" button, would undo all the changes made in the registry.

That's why I said that I hope you have not clean uninstalled, as they could be staying in the PC otherwise.

Sorry, I couldn't be much help, but someone using 2000 can help the situation.

Admin. samr was using 2000 a while ago, may be he can tell something about the details of the problems found.

Cheers.

Everybody has to understand that I am a neophyte when it comes to messing around with the way my computer works ... Eno talks about putting the backup in a safe place - what constitutes a safe place ... how will ASC know where to look ... and last time I install ASC it stopped me from getting access to the web.

Hi mpinkus!

If you refer to Enosype's first line of his first post (post #2 in this thread)... then that has elaborated on by me. So I'm to understand that you have no freestanding backup.?

If you have the file as you indicate... then I would be very careful about what you do... Move slowly, and be as sure as you can be!

I am sending a PM to SAMR on your behalf...

Be patient and move slowly!!:wink:

-Mel

Hi again mpinkus.

Copy the folder to your Documents folder. It is a safe place that uninstallers do not touch.

Install ASC as you normally would by set up file.

After running ASC (Do not Scan or Repair), if it starts automatically, stop it.

Click Restore at the top of the GUI.

Restore Center window will be opened.

You may see the backups' date(s) onthe right pane.

If you don't have the folder that you copied to your Documents folder in it's original place, then copy that folder to it's original place.

If there are more than one, start with the newest one first to undo the changes, and undo the oldest last.

Restart your PC and see if it works.

Please ask if you have any questions in the mean time.

Cheers.

Okay - I have done what you said ... I went to the restore centre and "rollback" what was done - there were two back ups, I did both, thought one said "Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the systems or other processes." I am about to shut off my computer and turn it back on - this was the problem last time - and when I did that the file folders were messed up and I could not get on to the internet. I will wait a couple of minutes ot see if I get a response to this in case someone has anything else to say.

M

I have good news and bad news ... the good news is that I can access the internet ... the bad news is that the folders remain messed up.

Samr, I tried what you suggested, they just change size in the little two inch box in the corner.

Anybody else have any brilliant ideas about this?

M

Hi mpinkus,

None taken!

One more suggestion. Have a look at this:

"How to restore the image preview in the left pane, in the standard W2K

folder view.

To restore Windows Explorer default view, Open up your Windows

Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View and Click "Restore Defaults" and

close the Explorer after this. This step seems critical to your

success.

Then reopen Explorer and create a new Folder like eg: "My Temp Files"

to your C:dir and then while still on the folder, hit the "View" tab

and chose "List", "Thumbnails" or whatever you prefer.

Then while in the Folder, right click and choose "Arrange Icons" to

whatever you prefer again like "By Type, Name or etc. Then Click

(Highlight) on the Folder again and open up the "Folder Options" &

under the View tab, Click "Like Current Folder" and close the

Explorer.

Windows Explorer will now view whatever settings you have chosen from

now on."

Shot in the dark!

samr.

Going out on a limb here.

Possibly an infected browser file, problem occurred when ASC fixed the pathway, it repaired the symptom but not the root problem??? Just revealed the problem?

What kind of protection from infection do you have???

Hope you can get back.:neutral:

Hi pinkus,

I have contacted support at Iobit and asked if they could review this thread. Maybe they can help with this strange problem. I know it is frustrating, but please be patient and see if we can come up with a solution.

samr.

Archived