IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC 3.4.2 Registry Fix freezes

wozofoz

Hi all :smile:

I got an email from a friend who has a new (2 weeks) Toshiba Notebook with Win 7.

She has the Pro version of ASC 3.4.2 which she installed fresh.

ASC is only setup for Manual use, nothing Automatic is selected.

She was doing a Registry Fix scan, with Deep Scan enabled, when it froze on something called Calligraphy.

She exited ASC, launched ASC, un-ticked Deep Scan and tried again and the scan was completed.

I suggested she un-tick Fonts, enable Deep Scan and try again.

She did this but the next scan froze on Recycle Bin/garden (possibly an image she deleted). The Recycle Bin is Empty.

She exited ASC, launched ASC, un-ticked Deep scan again but this time the scan froze on Recycle Bin/Heritage (possibly another image she deleted)

So ASC Registry Fix is freezing during all scans when Deep Scan is enabled and when it is not.

I thought there was a discussion on something similar to this before but a search did not find any relevant threads.

Any solutions, ideas or thoughts ?

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz

No other idea from me than I am curious as to the duration of the freeze.

Sometimes it is percieved as a freeze even though it may be for only a minute or two :-)

And was this during the first runs of ASC?

Level of familiarity with the program?

- so no help - just a bunch of more or less pertinent questions :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi all :smile:

I got an email from a friend who has a new (2 weeks) Toshiba Notebook with Win 7.

She has the Pro version of ASC 3.4.2 which she installed fresh.

ASC is only setup for Manual use, nothing Automatic is selected.

She was doing a Registry Fix scan, with Deep Scan enabled, when it froze on something called Calligraphy.

She exited ASC, launched ASC, un-ticked Deep Scan and tried again and the scan was completed.

I suggested she un-tick Fonts, enable Deep Scan and try again.

She did this but the next scan froze on Recycle Bin/garden (possibly an image she deleted). The Recycle Bin is Empty.

She exited ASC, launched ASC, un-ticked Deep scan again but this time the scan froze on Recycle Bin/Heritage (possibly another image she deleted)

So ASC Registry Fix is freezing during all scans when Deep Scan is enabled and when it is not.

I thought there was a discussion on something similar to this before but a search did not find any relevant threads.

Any solutions, ideas or thoughts ?

All the best, woz of oz

I would tell her to empty recycle bin prior to ASC scan to see if there is any sticking points.

I would also get here to run SFC/SCANNOW too in case a widows7 entry relating to recycle bin is corrupted.

in W7 SFC is run from CMD not the run box and the disc is not required either to be in the drive.

another option try running another deep registry scanner to see if a similar problem occurs

try eusing free reg cleaner

http://majorgeeks.com/Eusing_Free_Registry_Cleaner_d5827.html

when you open the program & it asks for regestration hit the skip button togo into free mode, then under options set it to make a restore point before each scan.

The big freeze ?

Hi woz

No other idea from me than I am curious as to the duration of the freeze.

Sometimes it is percieved as a freeze even though it may be for only a minute or two :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

My first question as well but she said it was a very long time and definitely frozen. She had to Exit (X) to close it.

And was this during the first runs of ASC?

Level of familiarity with the program?

- so no help - just a bunch of more or less pertinent questions :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

She has run Maintain Windows with Registry Fix ticked before on this NoteBook with no problems.

She is quite new to the program but really is an 'average user' mostly just internet and word docs so I can't see that she is doing anything 'out of the ordinary' that might create a problem

I hope to go and visit her in the next few days and so I can get my hands on the machine. I have told her to not use any registry cleaners in the meantime.

When I visit I will show her how to do a Clean Install and start anew.

I am just hoping something is known about this already and was surprised when I couldn't find anything through a search.

Thanks for the questions, they do narrow down the field :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

I will try that

I would tell her to empty recycle bin prior to ASC scan to see if there is any sticking points.

She said it was emptied.

I would also get here to run SFC/SCANNOW too in case a widows7 entry relating to recycle bin is corrupted.

in W7 SFC is run from CMD not the run box and the disc is not required either to be in the drive.

I hope to visit her in the next few days and will do an ASC Clean Install first.

If the problem persists I will certainly do an SFC/SCANNOW, thanks for that idea :smile:

another option try running another deep registry scanner to see if a similar problem occurs

try eusing free reg cleaner

http://majorgeeks.com/Eusing_Free_Registry_Cleaner_d5827.html

when you open the program & it asks for regestration hit the skip button togo into free mode, then under options set it to make a restore point before each scan.

I tried Eusing before and it is qute ok.

I now use RegSeeker (portable) as my second registry cleaner so I will have that on hand when I visit her.

I would prefer she not do too much at the moment, the Notebook is running ok so no need to rush :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz

Is it this updated version that was used: 3.4.2.696 ??

I haven't tried it yet

am still running 3.4.1

Actually I think that the most prudent course is to wait for the update until it is offered in the opening window by IObit

They are often a little slow there

Nevertheless I have seldom experienced problems downloading from the three sites that usually is referred to in the News&Offers section

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. just installed it now - experience no trouble

She said it was emptied.

I hope to visit her in the next few days and will do an ASC Clean Install first.

If the problem persists I will certainly do an SFC/SCANNOW, thanks for that idea :smile:

I tried Eusing before and it is qute ok.

I now use RegSeeker (portable) as my second registry cleaner so I will have that on hand when I visit her.

I would prefer she not do too much at the moment, the Notebook is running ok so no need to rush :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Thanks all

Hi woz

Is it this updated version that was used: 3.4.2.696 ??

I haven't tried it yet

am still running 3.4.1

Actually I think that the most prudent course is to wait for the update until it is offered in the opening window by IObit

They are often a little slow there

Nevertheless I have seldom experienced problems downloading from the three sites that usually is referred to in the News&Offers section

Cheers

solbjerg

I don't know the exact version she has, I suspect it would be through the IObit website, she is not one for running around looking for latest versions.

She runs a full clean-up once a week and checks for updates then :wink:

I am using 3.4.2.696 from MajorGeeks on XP and all is good.

I also have 3.4.1 saved on my Netbook so I will copy that to my Flashdrive and take it with me when I go to visit.

She has Revo and I will take a copy of BitRemover and RegSeeker as well to do a full Clean Uninstall/Install.

The good news is, I received an email and she is not going anywhere near the registry until I arrive.

Now I can sleep well :smile:

Thanks to everyone for the help and ideas, I should be sitting in front of her Notebook in 2 days snd hopefully it will all be fixed easily :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz,

Hows the problem? After you personally checked it out for her. =)

As you mentioned about the previous similar problem.

It was because of Shortcut.

You can try Unchecking "Shortcut" under "Scan for".

and if it works. Try using the Shortcut Fixer utility to see if it hangs.

Lastly,

Maybe try a clean install again (I know it's a first-time install).

Cheers.

Hi Magichunter!

Woz will not have his hands on the machine until the day after tomorrow and has advised her to not try to fix in the meantime. Her machine appears to be operating fine otherwise.

Just clarifying that's all!!

-Mel

Peace, Prosperity, and Longevity to all!

That's the thread

;38331']Hi woz,

Hows the problem? After you personally checked it out for her. =)

As you mentioned about the previous similar problem.

It was because of Shortcut.

You can try Unchecking "Shortcut" under "Scan for".

and if it works. Try using the Shortcut Fixer utility to see if it hangs.

Lastly,

Maybe try a clean install again (I know it's a first-time install).

Cheers.

Tomorrow I will be able to check it out completely.

That Shortcut thread was the one I was thinking of but I just couldn't 'picture' it and couldn't find it with a search :roll:

Thanks for finally ending that little conundrum :smile:

I will definitely do a Shortcut Fixer scan and see if the problem items are on the list.

I don't know why Shortcut Fixer isn't part of the Maintain Windows scan.

Since there are no other users complaining about this I'm thinking a Clean uninstall/install will fix it.

I just hope I can see why it happened in the first place so I can at least give advice to prevent it from happening again.

As I said, she is a true 'average user' and those folks shouldn't have to worry about this sort of stuff.

That's the playing area of us 'tweakers' :-P

All the best, woz of oz

Tomorrow I will be able to check it out completely.

That Shortcut thread was the one I was thinking of but I just couldn't 'picture' it and couldn't find it with a search :roll:

Thanks for finally ending that little conundrum :smile:

I will definitely do a Shortcut Fixer scan and see if the problem items are on the list.

I don't know why Shortcut Fixer isn't part of the Maintain Windows scan.

Since there are no other users complaining about this I'm thinking a Clean uninstall/install will fix it.

I just hope I can see why it happened in the first place so I can at least give advice to prevent it from happening again.

As I said, she is a true 'average user' and those folks shouldn't have to worry about this sort of stuff.

That's the playing area of us 'tweakers' :-P

All the best, woz of oz

Hey woz,

So how did it go? =)

and it looks like you got the choice of updating to v3.5.0 as well XD

Yeah I agree, I would be helpful to find out what exactly the problem was. So it would not happen to other 'average users' again hehe:razz:

Cheers.

Archived