IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Has issue with random freeze ups & memory drain been addressed?

kd5

I quit using IObit Security 360 back when all the fuss was being made over the alledged database theft, not because of that issue, but because IObit Security 360 would cause my computer to freeze and lock up the longer it was allowed to run on my computer. Mind you, I am a computer geek who repairs computers for a living, my computer is self-built, 3.4ghz P4, 1gb of RAM, 80gb 7200rpm 8mb hard drive, Windows XP SP3, IE8, all updates, tweaked, and cleaned regularly.

I started using 360 because I wanted realtime protection against malware that I could count on and that I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for. I thought highly of 360 until I noticed some weird freezes and lockups when 360 had been up and running most of the day. I'd never had that problem before so I assumed (correctly) that 360 was at fault. Uninstalled 360 and the problem went away.

So now that IObit has addressed the issues they were having regarding their previous predicament, I wonder if they have also addressed the issue with random freezes. I know that other people were having the same problem back then because I remember seeing threads here about it. So, what say you? Have the freezing issues been resolved?

I'd like to start using 360 again, but not if it's going to freeze up my computer when it's been actively protecting the PC for most of the day...

Thanks, -kd5-

Hi kd5,

I'm clueless regarding your complaints. I don't recall IS360 ever causing my machine to freeze. Never noticed a memory leak/drain either.

There are three parts to IS360; the service, the tray app and IS360.exe itself. Just for grins I've been running the past couple of hours with task manager open and I find...

1. The service consumes about 1.5 MB and that's constant.

2. The tray app consumes a little less than 7 MB and that's constant.

3. IS360.exe itself consumes about 1.5 MB idling, climbs to a max of 55 MB during a scan, and then drops back to 1.5 MB when the scan is done and I close the window.

The best I can suggest is that you try it and post any problems.

Hi kd5,

I'm clueless regarding your complaints. I don't recall IS360 ever causing my machine to freeze. Never noticed a memory leak/drain either.

I'm glad that you didn't have the kind of problems several of us were with IObit Security 360 back then, I'm sure many people have had no trouble at all. But I did, and I recall seeing threads here, back then, where other people were too. Random computer freeze ups and other weird little anomalies after IS360 had been running all day. All I can tell you is that uninstalling IS360 solved the problem. I've been running Windows Defender (for its real-time protection) since then because it's mostly harmless as far as the computer is concerned, but recently found that it's mostly harmless as far as malware is concerned too. So now I wanted to know if IObit resolved the issue some people were having with IS360 causing random freeze ups (and other weird little anomalies) with their computers after it had been running for a long period of time. Obviously you haven't had that problem so you can't answer my question.

I've decided to 'bite the bullet', uninstall Windows Defender, reinstall IObit Security 360 and find out for myself. I was hoping to get an answer from someone who knows there was a problem but it appears there are not many people posting here anymore.

As far as the thread title is concerned, I initially used 'memory drain' in my title, but attempted to change it to 'random freeze ups' and ended up creating a duplicate thread instead.

I apologize for creating a duplicate thread... :oops: -kd5-

No need for apologies kd5!!

Iobit 360 is completely compatable with windows defender!! No need to uninstall Defender, you can run them simultaneously! Uninstalling a piece of software that came with your Operating System is not such a good idea I think!

I only suggest that since there have been no further reports of this problem since around the time you originally posted months ago, perhaps the issue is resolved, and that you should try 360 again! Please post back with your new experience with new 360!!:smile:

This forum is very much alive and well... perhaps no more posts because there was nothing else to add?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Iobit 360 is completely compatable with windows defender!! No need to uninstall Defender, you can run them simultaneously! Uninstalling a piece of software that came with your Operating System is not such a good idea I think!

Windows Defender did not ship with Windows XP, I chose to install it, then I chose to uninstall it. It's good to know that Windows Defender is compatible with IS360 but I already run SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, I don't want to complicate things further by adding another realtime antispyware application into the mix, there's a limit to how many I want to run on my computer.

I appreciate IS360's realtime capabilities, that's why I had decided to try it in the first place. But if it starts causing my computer to freeze up like it did before, I'll have no choice but to uninstall it again.

Thanks for answering my concerns Melvin. -kd5-

Solbjerg provided advice on the other thread that worked for PJPaulMC.

After you uninstalled 360 a while back... did you also delete the program file after running your uninstaller? If not, Uninstall again, then delete the program file, and then reinstall the new version. This clean install is what worked for PJPaulMC.

Hope this works for you as well!:smile:

Sincerely, Mel

P.S. I mean the thread I linked to in post #6 of this one.

When I uninstall an application I always go into Program Files, Common Files, & Application Data folders (and the registry) to clean up any leftovers.

Keep in mind that I work on computers for a living. I am meticulous in the way I care for my own computer (with the possible exception of needing to blow the dust accumulation from inside), I keep the junk files cleaned up and the file system/paging file/registry defragged, I scan regularly for garbage, but last night for the first time since I uninstalled IS360 the last time, my computer started weirding out on me. I clicked the start button but could not select anything from it. Tried to bring up an IE page and it froze in the midst of coming up, leaving me with a blank white page that kept trying but could not finish. Ctrl/Alt/Del to end task. Ctrl/Alt/Del to shut down & restart the computer which booted fine with no issues resulting.

IObit STILL has not addressed this issue! Time to pitch IS360 and go back to Windows Defender...:x -kd5-

Hi kd5

Ok, so a clean install has been tried according to your normal procedure.

What ie page did you try to bring up?

Did you read the thread "Is anyone else seeing this" in the lounge section?

You could have been unlucky and tried to bring the page up at a "bad" time??

Cheers

solbjerg

When I uninstall an application I always go into Program Files, Common Files, & Application Data folders (and the registry) to clean up any leftovers.

Keep in mind that I work on computers for a living. I am meticulous in the way I care for my own computer (with the possible exception of needing to blow the dust accumulation from inside), I keep the junk files cleaned up and the file system/paging file/registry defragged, I scan regularly for garbage, but last night for the first time since I uninstalled IS360 the last time, my computer started weirding out on me. I clicked the start button but could not select anything from it. Tried to bring up an IE page and it froze in the midst of coming up, leaving me with a blank white page that kept trying but could not finish. Ctrl/Alt/Del to end task. Ctrl/Alt/Del to shut down & restart the computer which booted fine with no issues resulting.

IObit STILL has not addressed this issue! Time to pitch IS360 and go back to Windows Defender...:x -kd5-

Hi kd5

Ok, so a clean install has been tried according to your normal procedure.

What ie page did you try to bring up?

Did you read the thread "Is anyone else seeing this" in the lounge section?

You could have been unlucky and tried to bring the page up at a "bad" time??

Cheers

solbjerg

Tried to bring up my homepage which is the forums at PC Pitstop where I moderate. The Pit is always fast, sometimes has its problems, but didn't last night. That would also not explain why, when I click on my Start button, I can't select any options there. I can scroll up through the options but can't select anything (Classic Start menu) Mind you this only happens when IS360 has been running on my computer all day (happened on my wife's computer as well, the last time I decided to try IS360), it just gets to a point where the computer refuses to cooperate and I (we) have (had) to reboot (Ctrl/Alt/Del, Shut down & Restart from Task Manager) which resolves (resolved) the immediate issue. Uninstalling IS360 resolves the issue altogether. -kd5-

Hi kd5

Did you have the settings on Automatic scan or Scheduled scan?

Did you have the level of scan set to high or to recommended?

Did you have DOG enabled?

Just to try to isolate from where your problems stem, - please.

Some have reported problems with the automatic scan as far as I recall.

This must have been noticed by IObit.com administrators.

But I haven't yet noticed a response to this particular problem.

Cheers

solbjerg

Tried to bring up my homepage which is the forums at PC Pitstop where I moderate. The Pit is always fast, sometimes has its problems, but didn't last night. That would also not explain why, when I click on my Start button, I can't select any options there. I can scroll up through the options but can't select anything (Classic Start menu) Mind you this only happens when IS360 has been running on my computer all day (happened on my wife's computer as well, the last time I decided to try IS360), it just gets to a point where the computer refuses to cooperate and I (we) have (had) to reboot (Ctrl/Alt/Del, Shut down & Restart from Task Manager) which resolves (resolved) the immediate issue. Uninstalling IS360 resolves the issue altogether. -kd5-

Hi kd5

Did you have the settings on Automatic scan or Scheduled scan?

Did you have the level of scan set to high or to recommended?

Did you have DOG enabled?

Just to try to isolate from where your problems stem, - please.

Some have reported problems with the automatic scan as far as I recall.

This must have been noticed by IObit.com administrators.

But I haven't yet noticed a response to this particular problem.

Cheers

solbjerg

Only the paid version gives you the ability to set up automatic scans/scheduled scans and I was using the free version. Level of protection was left at default (High), but was set to Recommended the last time we used IS360, no difference in behaviour. DOG was enabled (by default). -kd5-

• 2 weeks later...

At the time, real-time protection applications were IObit Security 360, SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard, and Avast! antivirus. Those 3 + Windows Defender behaved very well, but take away Windows Defender and add IObit Security 360 into the mix, and by the end of the day my computer was freezing up and acting otherwise wonky. My wife's computer acted strangely as well when we were both using it before.

IObit does not provide screenshots of the application so I can only go by the one Download.com provides and memory (which is sketchy at best), I believe it was in Protection where it provides additional options to enable to protect your computer (may have been in one of the options in Tools, I can't remember now). I enabled as much protection as IS360 had to offer though, so it will probably be hard to track down the problem. I hope that whatever the problem is that IObit will get it ironed out, I liked IS360, but it won't touch my computer as long as I know it will freeze it up by the end of the day, and unfortunately I don't have the time to help diagnose the problem, I have a pile of computers here that require my attention. -kd5-

Based on those screenshots, I enabled both 'Automatic Protection Against Known Malware' and 'Advanced Protection Against Unknown Threats' in Protection, and all 4 items in Tools/Passive Defense, as well as leaving the default (High) level of protection in Settings, and DOG enabled.

The only difference between this and the first time I used IS360 was that (the first time) I changed the default level of protection in Settings from High to Recommended. No difference in behaviour either time. -kd5-

Hi kd5

Perhaps Windows Defender and IS360 share some common files that got deleted when you scrapped WD.

I think I read somewhere that WD was a necessary component in MSE.

IS360 could possibly have had a false positive, but other than that it should not interfere with system files - after all it is a spyware/malware and tracking cookies catcher - not an anti-virus application.

Cheers

solbjerg

Based on those screenshots, I enabled both 'Automatic Protection Against Known Malware' and 'Advanced Protection Against Unknown Threats' in Protection, and all 4 items in Tools/Passive Defense, as well as leaving the default (High) level of protection in Settings, and DOG enabled.

The only difference between this and the first time I used IS360 was that (the first time) I changed the default level of protection in Settings from High to Recommended. No difference in behaviour either time. -kd5-

But I (we) didn't have Windows Defender installed (hadn't even considered trying it) the first time I (we) used IS360 and it did the very same thing this time as it did the first time: froze my computer up after it had been running all day, froze both (my wife & my) computers up too (the first time we used it), but only after it had been running all day. She couldn't access anything in her Start menu just as I couldn't this time, and the computer just acted sticky. Rebooted and everything was fine. Uninstalled IS360 and the problem went away altogether. -kd5-

Hi kd5

Why did you mention Windows Defender then in a couple of your posts??

Strange problem - must have to do with how your computer and programs are set up.

Cheers

solbjerg

At the time, real-time protection applications were IObit Security 360, SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard, and Avast! antivirus. Those 3 + Windows Defender behaved very well, -kd5-

But I (we) didn't have Windows Defender installed (hadn't even considered trying it) the first time I (we) used IS360 and it did the very same thing this time as it did the first time: froze my computer up after it had been running all day, froze both (my wife & my) computers up too (the first time we used it), but only after it had been running all day. She couldn't access anything in her Start menu just as I couldn't this time, and the computer just acted sticky. Rebooted and everything was fine. Uninstalled IS360 and the problem went away altogether. -kd5-

Apparently I wasn't clear enough in my description of installed applications both times I used IS360 (nor, I'll admit, was I entirely correct) so I'll try again.

The first time we (my wife & I) used IS360, real-time protection applications installed were System Suite 8 Professional (Trend Micro antivirus engine), SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, and IObit Security 360. System Suite 8, SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard behaved very well together. Add IS360 into the mix and POOF! computer freezes after IS360 has been running all day. Reboot and computer is fine, uninstall IS360 and problem goes away altogether.

The 2nd time I used IS360, real-time protection applications were Avast! 4.8, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, & Windows Defender, these 4 behaved very well together, but research led me to believe that Windows Defender's protection capabilities were not quite up to snuff so I opted to uninstall Windows Defender and try IS360 again. Once again, my computer started freezing up and otherwise behaving oddly when IS360 had been running all day. Reboot and computer is fine, uninstall IS360 and problem goes away altogether. Reinstalled Windows Defender and once again, all 4 applications behave very well together.

Hi kd5

Strange problem - must have to do with how your computer and programs are set up.

Cheers

solbjerg

That was unkind. I've been working on computers professionally since 2004, and had been rebuilding/reformatting/reinstalling for 5 years prior to that. I'm no newbie when it comes to computers. I'm trying to tell you there's a potential issue with your application, and that several people have had the same problem in the past. That problem still exists. -kd5-

Hi kd5

I am sorry - my intention wasn't to be unkind - rather I am expressing my inability to understand why we do not all experience this problem.

As you have read Usage of IObit Products you will know that most of us here are non-professionals, this goes for me too.

We are ordinary users trying to help

It would be grand if you found out why it behaves as it does.

I am sure IObit professionals are looking into it, and if they find a solution/reason/culprit they will undoubtedly give us notice and update the program.

Cheers

solbjerg

Apparently I wasn't clear enough in my description of installed applications both times I used IS360 (nor, I'll admit, was I entirely correct) so I'll try again.

The first time we (my wife & I) used IS360, real-time protection applications installed were System Suite 8 Professional (Trend Micro antivirus engine), SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, and IObit Security 360. System Suite 8, SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard behaved very well together. Add IS360 into the mix and POOF! computer freezes after IS360 has been running all day. Reboot and computer is fine, uninstall IS360 and problem goes away altogether.

The 2nd time I used IS360, real-time protection applications were Avast! 4.8, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, & Windows Defender, these 4 behaved very well together, but research led me to believe that Windows Defender's protection capabilities were not quite up to snuff so I opted to uninstall Windows Defender and try IS360 again. Once again, my computer started freezing up and otherwise behaving oddly when IS360 had been running all day. Reboot and computer is fine, uninstall IS360 and problem goes away altogether. Reinstalled Windows Defender and once again, all 4 applications behave very well together.

That was unkind. I've been working on computers professionally since 2004, and had been rebuilding/reformatting/reinstalling for 5 years prior to that. I'm no newbie when it comes to computers. I'm trying to tell you there's a potential issue with your application, and that several people have had the same problem in the past. That problem still exists. -kd5-

not sure if this is related issue. [using w7 32bit]

my computer gets turned off each night, but is on during the day from 8am to about 10pm. During late afternoon /evening if i open up ie8 if will often freeze on opening and take 2-3 attempts at closing and opening using task manager. I have been following this thread and in the back of my mind wondered if it was 360 related as i have exhausted other options and put it down to a iffy ms update.

so closed 360 now no longer getting the late in the day freeze ups and ie8 is also a lot snappier.

i will leave 360pro closed [not deleted] for a few days to see if the fault stays away or returns.

for anyone interested by fault with ie8

now after reading this tread .guess what you are lucky i cant even get this mural to link.ie8 .yet i install the comet bird presto runs beautiful

ok now to the problem at hand.io bit360..

i agree with our poster .in beta stage ,i had lock ups.jerky moments.(screen)

but was taken care of..i use the same apps as the poster.KD5 (hi)

and iobit360.no problem.underwin7..and xp..with the new iobit.360

so now scratch my old head.trying to think.why .

look its possible.and i for one be leave you got a problem..

now here's something.it may .and i say this in the kindest way.be your pc? or its setup.please i say may..sometimes soft ware ill behaves on certain

systems.

iobit 360 is useless on my Packard bell! why .i get lock ups.

yet runs fine on my pent4.and my duo core,and this one.

plus my other ones..bar the Packard bell.

look tell you what i do not use MS defender.simple its not worth a pinch of ,salt.

leave it with me see if i see if this may be the problem..

the reason i did not bother ,that i only struck it on 1 of my pcs.

itsmejjj

What's new in v1.41:

----------------------

- Improved scan engine and database.

- Fixed general bugs.

- Updated all language files.

ok just to be sure as i have 10 copy's.

i always keep what i download

and stop confusion on my part i downloaded this ..

Archived