IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Volume coundn't be opened!! [SOLVED]

garybear

Hi friends!! I have a good friend that can't do a dskchk on XP3. When she tries, she gets the message (Volume couldn't be opened.) Then it says dskchk finished, but there is no log in Event Viewer (Winlogin). She says she has all Windows up dates. She is running Avira AV. She had Norton AV before AVira. I'm trying to help, but the only thing I see is to have all updates, and she says she has them. I had this problem a long time ago when I was running AVG AV, and it was AVG's problem, and they fixed it. I sure would appreciate some help from the forum brains.==garybear

Hi garybear

Which volume are we talking about?

Which command was used? chkdsk i Run or chkdsk.exe in Run - was any switches used? Or in command prompt? (cmd in Run)

Was the standard chkdsk or full chkdsk tried from My computer/C: or D: or another volume chosen - right clicked and properties chosen and the tab Functions and control of a local disk (volume)??

Switches /p or /r or /f

Described in Usage ~

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friends!! I have a good friend that can't do a dskchk on XP3. When she tries, she gets the message (Volume couldn't be opened.) Then it says dskchk finished, but there is no log in Event Viewer (Winlogin). She says she has all Windows up dates. She is running Avira AV. She had Norton AV before AVira. I'm trying to help, but the only thing I see is to have all updates, and she says she has them. I had this problem a long time ago when I was running AVG AV, and it was AVG's problem, and they fixed it. I sure would appreciate some help from the forum brains.==garybear

Hi friend!!

Hi garybear

Which volume are we talking about?

Which command was used? chkdsk i Run or chkdsk.exe in Run - was any switches used? Or in command prompt? (cmd in Run)

Was the standard chkdsk or full chkdsk tried from My computer/C: or D: or another volume chosen - right clicked and properties chosen and the tab Functions and control of a local disk (volume)??

Switches /p or /r or /f

Described in Usage ~

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend. This is what we tried to do !!!

Hi garybear,

If you have started and think that nothing has happened, please do the following to check:

Click Start=>click Run...=>type cmd=>click OK=> command prompt window (C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe window)=>type chkdsk=>ENTER

Wait for it to finish and post here the screenshot of that window showing the whole report please.

Cheers.

Hi frinds!!

Hi friends!! This is not my PC. A friend can't do a chkdsk. I have to communicate over a phone, so it will take time for me to relay messages . Yes we did a restart. We tried a dskchk like I showed in my screen shot. We did not try chkdsk in command prompt. Please remember I'm not PC literate!! Should we try to do chkdsk by way of the command prompt??? This is what my PC did. Do I need to have her do the same thing???

Hi friends!!!

Hi friends!! I had my friend run Malwarebytes and it found a rouge. She quarantined it, and now she can run chkdsk. Thanks for your help friends.==Every thing is going good and we are going to try to do a back up image with Macrium. You are all appreciated my friends!!!==garybear

Archived