IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

atdmt.com Tracking Cookie Will Not Stay Away

yuseifudo2010

Just about every time I perform another scan with IObit Security 360, the results turn up a tracking cookie signature from atdmt.com, which I tell the program to delete every time... but then after a time when I am ready to run another scan with the same program, the cookie keeps reappearing!

I have checked Internet Explorer, and atdmt.com is part of the Restricted Sites zone as well as in Internet Options > Privacy > Sites > Managed websites, where atdmt.com is listed as "Always Block." In addition, Firefox > Tools > Options > Privacy > Exceptions lists cookies from atdmt.com as "Block."

And yet, somehow -- somehow -- the tracking cookie from atdmt.com keeps cropping up on the system!

What's the deal here, and is there any way that I can silence this tracking cookie once and for all?

Brandon Taylor

Adtmt

Have noticed that ATDMT is removed by Security 360, but keeps coming back. upon further investigation, found that passive protection (Firefox cookies) has somehow unchecked atdmt,and others from being blocked. I assume this happens whenever I get an update???

Will try to pin it down, as whenever the boxes are all checked, the scan does not find atdmt, or others.

I keep reading that it (atdmt) is not a problem, but the idea of allowing ANY spyware on my PC is repulsive.

Have noticed that ATDMT is removed by Security 360, but keeps coming back. upon further investigation, found that passive protection (Firefox cookies) has somehow unchecked atdmt,and others from being blocked. I assume this happens whenever I get an update???

Will try to pin it down, as whenever the boxes are all checked, the scan does not find atdmt, or others.

I keep reading that it (atdmt) is not a problem, but the idea of allowing ANY spyware on my PC is repulsive.

Just checked on status of passive defense for Firefox. Allof the boxes for spyware are unchecked?????

Since I did NOT uncheck them, what gives????

I'm sure that is where the atdmt spyware is being allowed in.

Any ideas anyone?

Hi Leeman,

adtmt is a tracking cookie, my understanding is that tracking cookies are unwanted and they should be avoided if possible. So putting to ignore list is not a solution for me.

Hi Mongoose,

SpywareBlaster will not be a cure for adtmt cookie.

Cheers.

Tracking cookies aren't dangerous. Almost every website uses them.

That said... Go here to opt out of the atdmt.com cookie.

More info:

This article describes what "cookies" are, how they are used, and how to manage them in Firefox.

This information applies to Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Internet Explorer 8.

Managing cookies in Safari - If you are concerned about cookies, you can set how you want Safari to handle them.

Manage Cookies in Google Chrome.

Seems as if a lot of people seem to be defending ATDMT and is cohorts. Tracking cookies are SPYWARE, and should be treated as such, rather than making excuses for them, because MS and other companies use them. It seem to be a very small step from seeing where you go or what you buy, to destructive uses.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems as if a lot of people seem to be defending ATDMT and is cohorts. Tracking cookies are SPYWARE, and should be treated as such, rather than making excuses for them, because MS and other companies use them. It seem to be a very small step from seeing where you go or what you buy, to destructive uses.

YOU meant are? surely... > AND YOU ARE A MALAWARE FIGHTER

i near coked on my cup of tea..when i saw this statement...

ok

not every one my fried as far as i am concerned thy are 1st class intrusions

into one privacy..

itsmejjj

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm

Now you multiply this times the amount of ads and Cookie prompts on the page supplied by 3rd parties ..... This doesn't take into account the other tricks they use such as web bugs - single pixel images, hidden hit counters, page trackers, and other undefined javascripts. Getting the idea? ........ and that's just on one page! Then you find an interesting link to another page and the process starts all over again (ugh!) So the next time someone states that Cookies are safe, or this sort of statement!

be very cautious about the information you are divulging.

ok take a look here and learn how .and i hope it fixes your problem..

itsmejjj

YOU meant are? surely... > AND YOU ARE A MALAWARE FIGHTER

What??? You need to do some research before tossing out accusations like that. You need to be very careful about who you are calling out as a liar.

I've said it time and again. If you are that worried about privacy then being on the Internet is the last place to be!

I am not divulging anything that is not common knowledge on almost ALL internet web sites. In fact the information about cookies used here at the IObit Forums is listed in the IObit Forum FAQ and they are usually mentioned on any webiste FAQ or under the privacy policy under the PII section.

Cookies are not dangerous. They have useful functions like holding your log in information so you don't have to log in to the forum every time you visit.

Here is a little more information that all internet user should read.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Frequently Asked Questions - Cookies

Are cookies really spyware and are they dangerous?

This subject has been the debate of many newsgroups and online forums. Cookies are simply text files stored on your hard drive and cannot themselves harm your computer in any way. Typically cookies are used to remember logins and keep track of user settings on web-sites.

Cookies can be used to track your movement on the Internet ONLY if a site is aware of the cookies and is designed to use the specific cookies. Because of their use in tracking, many feel that this constitutes spyware.

We do not consider cookies to be threats of anywhere near the same level of severity as actual malware threats that can steal real personal information, serve ads, or render a computer unusable.

SUPERAntiSpyware will detect tracking cookies as "Adware.Tracking Cookies" and you can choose to remove them or leave them on your system. You may turn off this feature in the Preferences -> Scanning Control tab of SUPERAntiSpyware should you not wish cookies to be scanned, detected and removed.

11) The True Story About Cookies! - MajorGeeks

First let's get right to the point. Cookies are not problems that you need to be concerned with. Too many antispyware programs flag cookies and make them sound like they are high risk items. The truth is that they are not high risk problems and in most cases are actually very useful to you.

This subject has long been debated on the internet and obviously there are many opinions about cookies. Cookies are not executable programs. They are simple text files stored on your PC to help websites (and you) track useful user settings and non-personal information, like which advertisement you last saw (which prevents you from seeing the same ad over and over again).

Yes some cookies are often referred to tracking cookies, but tracking is more complicated then just having a cookie. Every website you visit would have to have knowledge of the particular cookie so that they could use it to add tracking info to it and to make use of it. You will see many antispyware programs indicating various cookies as tracking cookies and this can artifically make detection counts look very high. It is also a sore point when doing comparisons between antispyware programs. If one program detects cookies and another does not, it can make the one that does not detect them look like it is doing a bad job.

Similarly it makes the one detecting them look like a great product since it picks up things the other missed. Thus most (not all) programs will detect cookies to avoid this hazard. Don't be fooled by cookie counting. If cookies are the only thing showing up, you are in good shape. They are not harmful and you can just ignore them or if so desired, you can easily clean them using your browser.

You need to be very careful about who you are calling out as a liar.

well don't get touchy no one called any one any thing..

my statement was ---be very cautious about the information you are divulging.

nothing about a LIAR was posted.!

and i don't care what you post about cookies.you have your opinion thy are fine.

i have my opinion thy are not.. and to state tracking cookies are ok

well sorry you got it wrong

Cookies are not problems that you need to be concerned with. bull DUST!!

the rest is up to a reader on what thy think .

ok i personalty do not allow them.(tracking me over the place)

if you say that is ok fine ,but as far as i am concerned thy are intrusive..

I've said it time and again. If you are that worried about privacy then being on the Internet is the last place to be!

yep always a concern..personally it not a problem for me that i repeatedly state..as i use filters to take care of this.

so i make the statement as far as i see them .what i do is

check my capture pic

itsmejjj

Opinions and facts are two different things. ;-)

You can use filters until they lock up your computer. It's a false sense of security. Everything you do is logged by some computer/server, somewhere. Everything! Filters will not and can not erase your presence on the Internet.

Yes there are security measures everyone should take to keep the malicious attacks down to a minimum. Antivirus, antimalware, firewall and adjusting your browsers settings to use them to their fullest most secure abilities. But don't get fooled by the hype of anonymity. It just isn't true. :twisted:

i don't think you know but i am not a New user of or to systems,been using them since the first commodore and dos 4.1 .think i have a little idea by now.how to use and look after systems.

Everything you do is logged by some computer/server, somewhere

yes that's possible so long as its not my server..i care less..and what i allow out .is a other story..

Everything! ???, perhaps you need to study into this fallacy ..any how.

we were talking cookies i think..where is this going into a debate?

and if you really want me to go into this i can.but its not a forum for this..

and as a malaware whatever please,use self control.

no need to go of into a frenzy .its only a opinion ok.

"Seems as if a lot of people seem to be defending ATDMT and is cohorts. Tracking cookies are SPYWARE, and should be treated as such, rather than making excuses for them, because MS and other companies use them. It seem to be a very small step from seeing where you go or what you buy, to destructive uses.

and i wanted to let our poster know not every one is..and i agree that thy are! "Tracking cookies are SPYWARE"

itsmejjj

who is editing my posts? changing my words,and the way i posted?

please leave them as i posted thank you..

i have carefully posted my way of posting a opinion.that is being edited.

and not happy that thy are.so i decided to rid them..

look as far as i am concern its up to you the reader whether you allow them or not..no big deal.

but the posts were changed and do not reflect my thinking on this..

((You need to do some research before tossing out accusations like that. You need to be very careful about who you are calling out as a liar.)))

pity you took it this way.sad to see this comment...

so to avoid bad feelings i withdraw from the statements i made..no need for

misunderstanding.or name calling.or calling any one any thing..

to you sir (Malware Fighter) no malice intended.or undermine your

status.

and i shall in the future stay out of this part of the forum..

itsmejjj

Hi jjj,

I have had edited your post as I did not like your using malware "whatever" word and it was the only word edited. I had changed it to "expert" which is a reality and "whatever" is not an acceptable argument. It is not different than saying " Administrator whatever".

You may not think that it is anything calling, but if a title is given to a member we would expect that it is respected by our members.

If an Administrator or a Moderator edits a post, most of the time there is a good reason for that. Have a look at http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=44811#post44811.

Now I have undeleted all the deleted posts in this thread, edited yours to the original, and changed the color of the edited word to red, and closed the thread.

We have discussed somewhere else that deleting the posts is not a good practice unless it is an absolute necessity.

That's what I think is good for the Forum and I did that, and that's it.

jjj, FYI, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT I AGREE ABOUT THE atdmt COOKIE WITH evilfantasy.

i shall in the future stay out of this part of the forum..

itsmejjj

I find it hard to understand that decision also.

Thank you and cheers.

Archived