IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Why did this happen?

Ted

I can play .flv files on Media Player Classic, but I do prefer WMP11. I have the K-Lite Codec Pack, but WMP still won't play them. I downloaded and installed a little tool called: PlayFLV but still no go, so to save uninstalling and get things back to the original I decided to do a System Restore to yesterday.

BLOODY HELL!..... After going through the S/R motions Windows froze on Window Sys32\wgalogon.dll. I switched off at the wall and restarted, then tapped F8 and got into Safe Mode where I tried to Undo my S/R. Still the same freezing problem so I tapped F8 again and selected "Last Known Good Configuration", but just got a load of rubbish. After coming out in a cold sweat, I switched off everything and after a cup of coffee I tried again. This time all was well except that PC Tools Firewall Plus posted an error message saying its configuration had been altered and had now been reset. I ran a complete Virus scan with Avast and no problems were found. Why did this happen?

I'll remove PlayFLV although it's not shown in the Add and Remove Programs list.

I'll delete all of my Restore points.

I've downloaded a file named: RemoveWGA and am wondering whether or not to run it.

I can play .flv files on Media Player Classic, but I do prefer WMP11. I have the K-Lite Codec Pack, but WMP still won't play them. I downloaded and installed a little tool called: PlayFLV but still no go, so to save uninstalling and get things back to the original I decided to do a System Restore to yesterday.

BLOODY HELL!..... After going through the S/R motions Windows froze on Window Sys32\wgalogon.dll. I switched off at the wall and restarted, then tapped F8 and got into Safe Mode where I tried to Undo my S/R. Still the same freezing problem so I tapped F8 again and selected "Last Known Good Configuration", but just got a load of rubbish. After coming out in a cold sweat, I switched off everything and after a cup of coffee I tried again. This time all was well except that PC Tools Firewall Plus posted an error message saying its configuration had been altered and had now been reset. I ran a complete Virus scan with Avast and no problems were found. Why did this happen?

I'll remove PlayFLV although it's not shown in the Add and Remove Programs list.

I've downloaded a file named: RemoveWGA and am wondering whether or not to run it.

Hi my friend! I don't know what happened, but this is where I would call on Macrium. Why do you make back ups and never use them?? garybear PS Windows restore to earlier time is no match for Macrium, and just don't cut it. Use Macrium my friend, it works very well!!

Hi ted

RemoveWGA ? the tool for

Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications ?

Would not advise it.

u may find it more trouble u get into...

I'll remove PlayFLV although it's not shown in the Add and Remove Programs list ok

ok

I've downloaded a file named: RemoveWGA and am wondering whether or not to run it. why?

ps why do u not have a backup image?

I've downloaded a file named: RemoveWGA and am wondering whether or not to run it. why?

do not use this tool ted ,it will and can flux the Os ,rather block any link to Ms its self..is better..

i ran it once to find a blue screen..using this tool .look you could try it .so long as you back up first.then run it..

itsmejjj

Hi, snoopy2010,

ps why do u not have a backup image?
I'm fanatical about backups. Two external HDDs with current and archived images. I just haven't had occasion to use one, yet.

ok reading what you did.i agree with Gary re image the drive before you installed the add on..format the drive .use the backup image the one where every thing was running perfect..this should and will put you back in time to that image with very little loss.and up and running as it was before..Macrium Reflect use the boot CD point to it and away you go...

jjj

Hi Ted ;

I can't tell you what happened exactly. System Restore is iffy, at best, but can save your butt sometimes. I agree that an image is way better though.

Have you tried VLC Media Player, for flv files ? VLC is sort of the Swiss Army knife in the world of media players. If not, I found an article that may help a bit :

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_flv_files.cfm

===

Hi friend!!

ok reading what you did.i agree with Gary re image the drive before you installed the add on..format the drive .use the backup image the one where every thing was running perfect..this should and will put you back in time to that image with very little loss.and up and running as it was before..Macrium Reflect use the boot CD point to it and away you go...

jjj

Hi my friend jjj!! Just want to add a couple of things to your post. There is no need to format a working drive. Macrium will format and wipe it clean, and restore a image exactly like it was when you created the image, and you will not lose any thing. I have done this several times, and never lost one bit of data.==garybear

Hi, So sad,

Thank you for that address it looks very interesting. I can play .FLV files with Media Player Classic, but much prefer WMP11. I do have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed and from what I've read all the necessary codecs that WMP11 needs should be there. Maybe I haven't got it configured correctly. However, no problem, really, as I can just convert the .FLV files to AVI or WMV.

Archived