IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

secure delete...

joeaniston

I have several personal files on my work laptop. O/S is XP Home Edition. I'll be leaving my company soon. I need to permanently delete some files before I turn it in. Anyone have any ideas. Would like some recommendations on Freeware. somebody help me!!!

A simple way to permanently delete?

According to Microsoft, there is a keyboard shortcut in Windows to, quote, "permanently delete files". You do this by selecting your file and hitting SHIFT+DEL.

What they're really explaining is a shortcut from having to move the item to the trash bin, and then emptying the trash.bin.

Take it a step further

Here's a poor man's version of permanent deletion. Delete your files, empty your recycle bin, and run Disk Defragmenter like iobits defrag!

What this will do is,

optimize your hard drive by rearranging (most) of your files, and in doing so will most likely overwrite the files you want permanently deleted. Nice!

or try one better?

Do it right?

While performing a defragmentation will probably do the trick, it's really not a viable solution. Waiting for disk defragmentation is not something I'd do every time I wanted to do a permanent deletion. The defragmentation process is way too long. The right way to how to permanently and quickly delete files is to use a program specifically designed for that purpose. You're in luck

use ...File Shredder in IObit Toolbox

or but perhaps not convinced?

you would need a desktop application for shredding (destroying) unwanted files beyond recovery.perhaps a stand alone ?

In order to remove, or shred files permanently from your system , rewriting the files with random series of binary data multiple times. This process is called shredding.(.File Shredder in IObit)

you may want to try this one.or at least check it.

i do use it for the odd very private files..

http://www.fileshredder.org/index.php

but the above iobit apps are plenty.and do this well

hope this is good advice and helps you to make up your mind?

ascot

smart defrag..please refer here..

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=7498

Yeah it is very imp to delete all the sensitive data b4 u get rid of ur old system.The simplest way to do this is to format all the drives,but that too may not delete all the data and there are always chances to recover them.I can suggest you 1 tool that will remove all ur data permanently forever and no other tool can also be able to recover it. Software name removed :evil: has a tool named Secure Delete that does the permanent deletion of the data but be cautious once the data is removed can never be recovered anyhow.for me this is the best tool for permanent deletion of data.

try this

<Link Removed: It is not freeware>

See next post

IObit Toolbox - File Shredder

joeaniston & emmatyson & barek77

It must be crowded at that desk with the 3 of you sitting there.

If you want to advertise your product I suggest you go to eBay, not here :evil:

______________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, there is some great information here for the benefit of any genuine members who might want it.

I agree, the free IObit Toolbox - File Shredder does look like a good option.

You can put it on a USB (Flash) Drive then simply plug it into the work computer, use the Secure delete - Gutmann method option to delete and shred the files, unplug the FlashDrive and you are finished.

No installling any software on the work computer that you will have to un-install later :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived