IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Hard drive how full Should thy get to??

itsmejjj

now a subject not that much understood when one reads problems that owner make for themselves.or can .but not necessary SO.

so what am i talking about .yes the size..if you have a hard disk that is lets say 500 mg.then expect not to be able to store that much..when you have a OS on it..ok really today no one uses them .lets just say a 200 gig drive..

over the years thy have grown.to the now terry bite type..but so have the applications.and the average size of the humble fire wall,and so on..

ok what is a full disk i speak of 100% ? no a full disk is 80% loaded with all sort of files.if its at 80% then consider that full. time to purchase a other drive.if you want to keep all you have..filling a drive to 98% will give you lots of problems (or let say CAN)

ok itsmejj what your drive space.well not to be a smart *** i have 6, 3 in the pc. 3 hooked up USB..and a flash drive ..i purchase 1 every year or so,

why?

your OS needs space,Minnaminnie 20% for it running at 100% plus a scanner type app.virus type app and needs space for temp files.and or shifting files when defraging a drive..Updates,if you are into this as well installing a application.making room gets harder as it fills.

you need space for the internet temp files. plus any apps files.

so what is my os drive and what do i store there .NOTHING ..no data files any how...i do download to it .then after about 100 gig or there about,shift them.to what i call my data disks.the .USB...then defrag it.the working drive.for the next Lott.

.my os drives are splitt to 200 gig and one is 800 gig (temp data)used for storage..why?

i believe saves crises crossing ,of files and thy need not be shifted when and if defraging..a working drive is safer.faster and less stress on the drive..

ok that what i think but then that's me.

i wonder how many do similar ?

itsmejjj

Hi samr

I think like you samr.

Also most say that much free space makes for less fragmentation.

It is easy to accumulate a lot of data, but much of it isn't especially necessary and can be downloaded again if the need should arise.

Personal files that you have created is another matter, but here I use my external harddiscs to store those + backups.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi itsmejjj,

Call me conservative, but I have found that mine seems to operate best at around 50% free space. I usually float between 40 & 60% full.

interesting comments ..so if say you are using a 1000 gig you have 500gig empty?

ok? i would of reckoned out that 200 od gig would be plenty.space...in my cage its the size of my booting drive.32 bit OS..that i have 170 odd gig empty.

when that gets to 100( if )shift files...any downloads go to the 800 gig same drive but split

that i leave or rather would not allow to fill to the max..

the other OS 64 bit is 980gig formatted.that i make sure its would not get to 750 gig loaded..tho i reckoned it would not get that full any how..

but yes that's the reason i post this as a Gide to the user what we think is a good capacity..and a safe drive..plus easy to keep tidy..

thank you both for the res-ponce.

jjj

Hi jjj :-)

Next time when you buy a 10^18 → quintillion (US) → trillion (Europe) → exa - Hexa-illion/Hexillion Harddisc it will stay mostly empty the rest of your life. You may be able to fill it with a few percent pertinent data for you.

My current harddiscs are 60GB (2) about a third full, 10 years old and functioning without problems. Then I have several sticks - up to 16 GB and two 500 GB external harddisks - mostly empty but containing backups and the like and a few videos and pictures that I don't use often and what I call a lot of sound files from the time that I created those.

My bird file is there too around 125 different mostly local birds with pictures, descriptions an birdsongs.

I even started a plant file, but realized that I should have started that 40 years ago, so I gave it up.

Perhaps I should go for a butterfly file - many of those are very beautiful :-)

I suppose that when I have to get a new computer I will probably end up with at least 500 Gb discs as they by that time probably will be the cheapest.

But I really don't need that much space.

Cheers

solbjerg

interesting comments ..so if say you are using a 1000 gig you have 500gig empty?

ok? i would of reckoned out that 200 od gig would be plenty.space...in my cage its the size of my booting drive.32 bit OS..that i have 170 odd gig empty.

when that gets to 100( if )shift files...any downloads go to the 800 gig same drive but split

that i leave or rather would not allow to fill to the max..

the other OS 64 bit is 980gig formatted.that i make sure its would not get to 750 gig loaded..tho i reckoned it would not get that full any how..

but yes that's the reason i post this as a Gide to the user what we think is a good capacity..and a safe drive..plus easy to keep tidy..

thank you both for the res-ponce.

jjj

60GB (2) Mmm ok not being a show of i suppose it depends on what one collects..or needs.gee i got 13 from 40 gig to 200 gig .cant get those any more..

my case 2 X 1000 gig drives and 1X 700 gig drive in the personal pc This one .the 700 one

next few days or so we will swap for the new drive 2000 gig drive and then thinking to get one more same for the outside..

i need tha space.as i am rapidly filling up ..!

that will help .i am a funky ? when it comes to keeping programs.i just downloaded all and nearly got back most i lost..i sometimes wonder why tho..

but i love them .i also have 700+ cds.full of stored junk.then my external drives my files Ooh my files! .from the dos to XP and a heap of old apps..my other spare old drive are all full and sit in a box just under my feet....oho and i got some ripper applications on them! you would not be leave..

i have a set of pctools floppy's and cd's with the magazines 8 years running.and never mind the floppy's 3 boxes full.in the shed..

gee you cant get them for the love of money!..well my wife thinks i am crazy.

often saying when you going to get rid of that junk.in the shed JUNK! i near pass out just at the idea...haaaa...

itsmejjj

Archived