IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows defrag/SmartDefrag

Hi

I just ran both defraggers.

Good things to say about Windows defrag.

1. It will show you the amount of fragmentation in the Master File Table

2. You have the possibility to print/save the result

Less good

1. It takes a very, very long time to do the defrag.

2. You don't know to what extent it optimizes the placement.

-----

Good things to say about SmartDefrag

1. It is very, very fast.

2. You have the option to choose how you want it to do the placement optimization.

Less good

1. It doesn't tell you the amount of MFT fragmentation

2. You don't have the possibility to save/print the result.

For the average user that just wants a good quick defragmentation or an optimized one I would recommend SmartDefrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

Good things to say about SmartDefrag

2. You have the option to choose how you want it to do the placement optimization.

I agree with everything you said in your comparison,

But to me the options in SD are Not what I would call true 'Placement Options'.

To me the options of: compacting files together & free-space together

and moving files, such as MFT, to optimum locations on platters, is True placement.

But really, as far as I know, these placements don't need to be options, They should be Automatic, since they will always improve the efficiency of data transfer.

Unless these placement operations greatly Slow the defrag, then the faster, less efficient, option will probably be needed also for people with slower computers.

Hi Toppack

"True placement"

Yes - but the problem here as I see it is that there are several opinions as to what the best placement is (if you choose an automated version) so you risk unsatified users no matter which placement you opt for :-)

If you let people choose the placement themselves (if that is eaily implemented) you risk inexperienced users doing it totally wrong.

It could though perhaps after a while show you what settings were the best for the majority of computers and the majority of configurations.

There are some defragmenters that have the function you are looking for - but they are not free!

Cheers

solbjerg

I agree with everything you said in your comparison,

But to me the options in SD are Not what I would call true 'Placement Options'.

To me the options of: compacting files together & free-space together

and moving files, such as MFT, to optimum locations on platters, is True placement.

But really, as far as I know, these placements don't need to be options, They should be Automatic, since they will always improve the efficiency of data transfer.

Archived