IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Is SMARTdefrag (safe) & compatible?

Assuming so... Would it not be a 'good thing' for IoBit's to add to the intro statement for Smartdefrag that is is "completely* compatible with Micro Softs OS defragging utility???

Going back in time (12,15 years ago) it was not unusual to try re-formatting or defragging a HDD only to create a disaster or make a mess of it, because a some prior time - some 'propritary' utilities had been run, or installs, on the drive that made it UN-compatible with (at least) Windows OEM format/defrag utilities.?.

People with some of those 'old wounds' like me ARE NOT going to try anything 'new' (such as Smartdefrag) without seeing clearly written assurances with it, that it is not going to create any new, or future unexpected OS incompatibally issues.

Opinions please.

RGH

Hi RGH

Would you kindly explain what you mean by re-formatting or defragging

If you choose to format a drive in my terminology you delete all data on it.

This has nothing to do with running a defragmentation.

I have heard of something going wrong for somebody that tried to partition a drive though. But there they always say that you must take a backup before doing that as far as I remember.

I can imagine a situatation where the disc is so badly damaged before the attempt to format it that it will be unable to format it completely and in that situation it will probably not be able to run a defrag either :-).

But that has to do with the physical state of the disc and not with the formatting or the defragging, and the only remedy for that is a new harddrive.

Please explain what you mean and if possible give some links to examples.

Cheers

solbjerg

Assuming so... Would it not be a 'good thing' for IoBit's to add to the intro statement for Smartdefrag that is is "completely* compatible with Micro Softs OS defragging utility???

Going back in time (12,15 years ago) it was not unusual to try re-formatting or defragging a HDD only to create a disaster or make a mess of it, because a some prior time - some 'propritary' utilities had been run, or installs, on the drive that made it UN-compatible with (at least) Windows OEM format/defrag utilities.?.

People with some of those 'old wounds' like me ARE NOT going to try anything 'new' (such as Smartdefrag) without seeing clearly written assurances with it, that it is not going to create any new, or future unexpected OS incompatibally issues.

Opinions please.

RGH

Do you remember what utilities caused a compatibility conflect with 'Chkdsk' or 'Defrag' programs. I've been using Windows since version-2.0 and don't remember that ever happening to any of the Many computers at my former employer Texas-Instruments or any where else.

Unless the computer had a Bad hard-drive or some other failure such as defective RAM, processor or motherboard.

I forgot to mention:

The only thing I know of that Smart-defrag is Not compatible with, is 'Back-up' type files, generated by the Windows Back-up & Restore utilitie. It don't seem to know what to do with those. ;-)

But even that problem will Not trash the Back-up or the OS files. It just doesn't defragment them properly.

Hi Toppack

You are right - the most probable cause of the painted scenario would be some kind of hardware failure.

Cheers

solbjerg

Do you remember what utilities caused a compatibility conflect with 'Chkdsk' or 'Defrag' programs. I've been using Windows since version-2.0 and don't remember that ever happening to any of the Many computers at my former employer Texas-Instruments or any where else.

Unless the computer had a Bad hard-drive or some other failure such as defective RAM, processor or motherboard.

Hi Toppack

Don't you think that backup files generally are best left alone?

What situation would fragment a backup file?

Cheers

solbjerg

I forgot to mention:

The only thing I know of that Smart-defrag is Not compatible with, is 'Back-up' type files, generated by the Windows Back-up & Restore utilitie. It don't seem to know what to do with those. ;-)

But even that problem will Not trash the Back-up or the OS files. It just doesn't defragment them properly.

Hi Toppack

Don't you think that backup files generally are best left alone?

What situation would fragment a backup file?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, the Back-up files are best stored on a separate drive with no other file types on that drive, and never run SD on that drive, since it's Not needed for that type compressed files.

But if you Only have One hard-drive partition, That Can be a Problem. :roll:

Please read my thread 'USB BackUp Fragmented' for a little more Info.

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=7668

Archived