IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

smart defrag v2 beta 1

when choosing the option >defrag and fully optimize does this fill gaps on the disk?

Good Question:!:

The first drive that I ran v2-beta on, it appeared that gaps were being filled when doing a fast-optimize.

But I later ran it on other drives and it evidently did Not fill gaps.

So I'm wondering about that also:?:

It certainly seems that doing that would make the defrag Much more efficient?

Maybe that could be done in the 'Fully-optimized' option?

Is that very difficult to program or something ?

hi rangerhere

If one wants to compare defrag programs one should know the different parameters in the coding of the programs and choose the one program that agreed best with what one wanted the program to do. But then one would have to be an expert and could then possibly write the parameters oneself. :-)

One cannot decide this by looking at the legend generated.

Try running the programs in reverse order! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

i was asking because i have been using Puran Disk Defrag and the last thing it does is fill gaps..i thought i'd give Smart Defrag a try and i dont see where it fills gaps after the defrag and optimize finishes running

hi rangerhere

If one wants to compare defrag programs one should know the different parameters in the coding of the programs and choose the one program that agreed best with what one wanted the program to do. But then one would have to be an expert and could then possibly write the parameters oneself. :-)

One cannot decide this by looking at the legend generated.

Try running the programs in reverse order! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

i understand what your saying..but cant you just tell me if smart defrag fills gaps?..THANKS

If you are asking in the sense of early Diskeeper in Win98? No. But, yes it is filling in gaps (not 100%) theoratically.

It doesn't fill in the gaps in between for different group of files though.

This is my interpretation and does not reflect the official view of IObit.

I may be able to tell you after the new engine is finalized, I hope.

Cheers.

Hi rangerhere

Of course it does - every defragmenter does.

Some may leave some unfilled area here and there to take care of expansion of a file or program, that depends on the parameters, others may have other parameters.

Are you asking what the parameters are in Smart Defrag?

Only the developers and the programmers know that precisely and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to divulge the inner workings of the program ;-)

They do say that the program defragments the chosen drive, and optimizes it if that is chosen, - by placing the fragments in the right place according to the parameters they have build into the program.

Also that it creates contiguous free space if sufficient space is available.

Some of the blocks that aren't moved are programs/files in use and they are consequently not tampered with during a defrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

i understand what your saying..but cant you just tell me if smart defrag fills gaps?..THANKS

Hi rangerhere

Of course it does - every defragmenter does.

Some may leave some unfilled area here and there to take care of expansion of a file or program, that depends on the parameters, others may have other parameters.

Are you asking what the parameters are in Smart Defrag?

Only the developers and the programmers know that precisely and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to divulge the inner workings of the program ;-)

They do say that the program defragments the chosen drive, and optimizes it if that is chosen, - by placing the fragments in the right place according to the parameters they have build into the program.

Also that it creates contiguous free space if sufficient space is available.

Some of the blocks that aren't moved are programs/files in use and they are consequently not tampered with during a defrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg....Thanks for the reply :smile:

Archived