IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

WARNING: 2-Beta Removes Version-1.5 [SOLVED by new setup update]

WARNING:

It appears that Installing Beta2 v1.2 Removes (Uninstalls) Version-1.5.

I had the older v1.5 installed Also, but Now it's Gone ?

I can no longer run SD from Toolbox. :?

(2-beta v1.2 evidently automaticly replaces the older v1.5)

(this did Not happen with 2-beta v1.1 install)

I thought I should make another thread with this Warning,

since to me it's a Serious Problem. :sad:

Hi Toppack,

I fully agree with you. Software which is still in beta stage ought not, ever, to be removing stable versions; especially automatically so, and without, at the very minimum, first requesting permission to do so. Smart Defrag version 2, beta 1.2 is behaving very badly. Regarding this installation approach, it has taken a big step backwards.

Laurence

Hi Toppack

I agree - bad oversight they made there.

They should have shown that information beforehand

I guess they feel pressured to release the beta versions too soon.

I was quietly waiting for beta version 2.0 for the translation possibilities.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, it would be very easy to bring up a window asking if you wanted to replace the older version or not.

Well guys, to my opinion, SD2Beta1.2 is an extremely buggy piece of software. :cry:

Apart from all you say, on my XP Pro, it does not exclude files and folders, moves files on MFT Reserve space just after MFT, boot-time defrag does not defrag USN journal, boot-time placement of the files are wrong, shows some empty space as filled with files, the map is wrong after defrag, etc, etc, etc.

Also, breaks boot-time defrag of Perfect disk. :evil:

Really beautiful GUI, great functional disapointment. :roll:

What can I say more?

OK, some words for the ones pushing IObit for the Betas to be released earlier than right time:

"You are not doing any good to IObit at all."

@IObit,

IMHO, even Betas should be tested for considerable time by testers before released to public.

For example, I do not consider SD2Beta1.2 as tested at all before released to public. (And released without giving any notice and automatically uninstalling the previous non-beta version, NO WAY my dear friends.)

All the best.

EDIT: Thank you IObit for the quick action of uninstalling problem of the non-beta version.

I downloaded and reinstalled v1.5 again, with No problem,

But that Uninstalled 2-betav1.2. :?

I can not find a way to change install Path. :?

So it looks like there is no way to have both installed at same time,

after v1.1 of 2-beta. :cry:

I may still have a copy 2-beta v1.1 on my back-up drive.

If so, I'll reinstall it.

If not, I'll be staying with the older v1.5, until Version-2 is finalized.

Either way I'll Not be downloading any more Updates until it's finalized and Out of Beta status. :-(

I downloaded and reinstalled v1.5 again, with No problem,

But that Uninstalled 2-betav1.2. :?

I can not find a way to change install Path. :?

So it looks like there is no way to have both installed at same time,

after v1.1 of 2-beta. :cry:

Hi Toppack,

If you really want to use SD1.5 and SD2Beta1.2 together, please try the following.

When SD 1.5 is already installed:

-Rename the IObit Smart Defrag main folder to IObit Smart Defrag1.

- Save config.ini file in C:\Users\Windows7\AppData\Roaming\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag to a location of your choice to change it with new config.ini file at the same location created when you start SD 1.5 next time after you install SD2Beta1.2

-Install SD2Beta1.2 and use it

-Use SD1.5 to create a new config.ini file, and change it with the previously saved config.ini file.

In that way, you can use both of them in the same OS, certainly they should not be used simultaneously.

Cheers.

OK guys,

IObit has changed the setup file of SD2 Beta1.2 for users to be able to keep the non-beta version.

It seems that file/folder exclusion is working for Windows 7 x32. :grin:

Cheers.

Hi enoskype,

If you test SD2 on Windows 7 x64 or other System, you will find it works too.

Cheers.;-)

Hi enoskype,

If you test SD2 on Windows 7 x64 or other System, you will find it works too.

Cheers.;-)

Hi itobe,

I am sorry to say, but exclusion of files and folders DOES NOT WORK on my XP Pro sp3 with SD2Beta1.2.2.856 (setup file 1.2.2.858) too.

I have mentioned it in post #6 of this thread for SD2Beta1.2.2.856 (setup file) also.

Have a look at the attachments. The excluded folders were at the end of the drive, and Fast Optimize have moved them in the process of defragmentation. (Those folders and included files were not fragmented before Fast Optimize.)

I use another defragmenter to put those files to the end of the drive and keep them defragmented there.

One of the attachments is for setup file 1.2.2.586 shot two days ago, and the other one is for setup file 1.2.2.858 shot today.

Cheers.

Archived