IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

lots of scattered unmovable squares

riow

Hi riow

How many are "lots"?

Please send some screenshots.

Unmoveable is just that - unmoveable!

You could try to run chkdsk /r - in Run - duration probably about 1 hour, in case some of the umoveables are unnecessary. And then after that run a boot time defrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

I've used boot time defrag for page, mft, and system files. However there're still lots of scattered unmovable squares found after analyze. Can I see what they're? How can I defrag those unmovable files?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi riow

How many are "lots"?

Please send some screenshots.

Unmoveable is just that - unmoveable!

You could try to run chkdsk /r - in Run - duration probably about 1 hour, in case some of the umoveables are unnecessary. And then after that run a boot time defrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm not the O/P, but see attached :)

This is a PC that runs pagedefrag at every boot. I've recently just run the cleanup wizard to remove logs/old files/"system restore" files (even though system restore is off for this drive).

I'd expect everything else you need to know is in the screenshot.

As far as I can tell, all those "unmoveable files" don't actually exist.

Hi debro

Am I correct in assuming that O/P means Other Person?

Unfortunately the screenshots are too blurry for me to read, so I can't really comment on them.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I would recommend reading the thread Thinking about defragmentation

I'm not the O/P, but see attached :)

This is a PC that runs pagedefrag at every boot. I've recently just run the cleanup wizard to remove logs/old files/"system restore" files (even though system restore is off for this drive).

I'd expect everything else you need to know is in the screenshot.

As far as I can tell, all those "unmoveable files" don't actually exist.

From what I can see in the too small attached picture, that is definitely Not a Normal distibution of unmovable files, so I also suggest that someone needs to run the check-disk utility called chkdsk.

chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r

But if you are not familiar with that program it would be best to find someone that is, since it is a DOS type program Not a Windows program.

Even tho it Installs with Windows.

20%+ defragmentation after running program!

I've run chkdsk/r and rebooting before running the defrag program and I've got 23% fragmentation left after a "Deep Optimize"! This can't be normal is it? I recall a year back that I might have a report of 1-3% after it was done but its always a high percentage now. I have 2 160Gb EIDE drives, each is partitioned 4 equal ways. Running XP SP3. Any ideas what's going on?

Here is a screenshot

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/87/87/0/89/98/2663089980057684268hmBMrv_th.jpg

Hi jeff

Would you please provide another screenshot - I can't read this one.

Press Alt+printscreen to only get the active window.

Save the picture as .jpg and attach it to your post as explained in Usage of IObit Products

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. How much free space do you have - in percentage please

EDIT: It seems much less than 15% solbjerg.

I've run chkdsk/r and rebooting before running the defrag program and I've got 23% fragmentation left after a "Deep Optimize"! This can't be normal is it? I recall a year back that I might have a report of 1-3% after it was done but its always a high percentage now. I have 2 160Gb EIDE drives, each is partitioned 4 equal ways. Running XP SP3. Any ideas what's going on?

Here is a screenshot

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/87/87/0/89/98/2663089980057684268hmBMrv_th.jpg

Hi debro

Am I correct in assuming that O/P means Other Person?

Unfortunately the screenshots are too blurry for me to read, so I can't really comment on them.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I would recommend reading the thread Thinking about defragmentation

O/P = Original poster.

I'm not sure why the forum is displaying the picture at such a reduced resolution & size, it's fine at this end, but the forum picture is terrible.

See attached screenshot excerpts from same image.

*edit* Aaaaaaargh! It's doing it again!!! */edit*

*edit2* Fixed using jpg's, rather than png's - I suspect the BB software was decreasing the size of the images auto-magically to the max 620x280 pixels wide x high*/edit2*

Checkdisk with repair option was run (scheduled at startup as drive is in use when on) prior to these screenshots ;)

This drive is a secondary drive, which has no operating system files, paging files, hibernation files, program files and as you can see in the screenshots, system restore has been turned off, and I've also got hidden files visible, and all operating system files visible.

Also having booted to Linux, I also deleted the "System Restore" folder & the Recycler folder (but windows puts them back) ;)

Ps: The "Thinking about defragmentation" link isn't working.

I'm assuming that the link will suggest the volume is checked for filesystem errors and cleaned up of all temporary files before the defragmenter is run?

Not to mention that programs shouldn't be running (and hence locking files in use on the volume) ....

Hi debro

Ok the original poster :-)

The link works by me. - but it is not a link to repair - it is a link to information on how defragmentation works.

The pictures are readable now - thank you!

And I can see that you have less than 13% free space in your E: drive

Best have minimum 15% free space to make it work better.

The newest non-beta version is version 1.60

But to get a boot time defrag you will have to use the beta version of SD2

Good luck!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. It is said that Linux doesn't need defragging!

O/P = Original poster.

I'm not sure why the forum is displaying the picture at such a reduced resolution & size, it's fine at this end, but the forum picture is terrible.

See attached screenshot excerpts from same image.

*edit* Aaaaaaargh! It's doing it again!!! */edit*

*edit2* Fixed using jpg's, rather than png's - I suspect the BB software was decreasing the size of the images auto-magically to the max 620x280 pixels wide x high*/edit2*

Checkdisk with repair option was run (scheduled at startup as drive is in use when on) prior to these screenshots ;)

This drive is a secondary drive, which has no operating system files, paging files, hibernation files, program files and as you can see in the screenshots, system restore has been turned off, and I've also got hidden files visible, and all operating system files visible.

Also having booted to Linux, I also deleted the "System Restore" folder & the Recycler folder (but windows puts them back) ;)

Ps: The "Thinking about defragmentation" link isn't working.

I'm assuming that the link will suggest the volume is checked for filesystem errors and cleaned up of all temporary files before the defragmenter is run?

Not to mention that programs shouldn't be running (and hence locking files in use on the volume) ....

I searched the forum, and found the thread anyway. An interesting discussion, but not particularly helpful.

Actually, the image says that 13% is used, leaving 87% free space .. apart from the mysterious unmovable files/black blocks.

It's true that the linux file system is a little smarter in it's placement of files, but it's a fallacy that the linux file system does not become fragmented, depending on use.

Linux doesn't seem to thrash the disc as often as windows OS's, and along with the separation of the boot partition, /etc, /var, /tmp, /usr and /home (user documents) partitions, the temporary/ log/program settings files are kept separate which prevents small log files being written to the same area during writing/appending larger files. In addition, linux programs tend to be slimmer than windows bloatware, so they don't take as much space, nor have a large opportunity to be fragmented.

That said, the average linux desktop user, which has zero level of understanding regarding their OS, and certainly linux filestructure, installs their copy of Ubuntu to a single partition, without even separating their user documents from all those temporary files and programs, suggesting fragmentation will affect linux as much as their windows installs. But the fragmentation may not be as noticeable, in linux, as HDD's are so quick these days, and linux programs are so small.

However, I just booted from an ubuntu LiveCD (for convenience), mounted the drive, and deleted the files which are protected from user deletion/modification by the Windows OS - they only calculated out to about 100KB of miscellaneous garbage files anyway.

Anyway, see below snapshot with the new beta 2.0 (1.6 download directs me directly to the beta 2.0, so I thought I might as well give it a whirl).

Problem persists.

See snapshot of Smart Defrag 2.0 vs Defraggler.

Hi debro

Ok, sorry - I must have mis-read your screenshot :oops:

It is not very often that we see that many black boxes, - do you have some big files excluded? Do you have many large sound /picture or video files on the drive?

Did you try the boot time defrag?

Cheers

solbjerg

I searched the forum, and found the thread anyway. An interesting discussion, but not particularly helpful.

Actually, the image says that 13% is used, leaving 87% free space .. apart from the mysterious unmovable files/black blocks.

It's true that the linux file system is a little smarter in it's placement of files, but it's a fallacy that the linux file system does not become fragmented, depending on use.

Linux doesn't seem to thrash the disc as often as windows OS's, and along with the separation of the boot partition, /etc, /var, /tmp, /usr and /home (user documents) partitions, the temporary/ log/program settings files are kept separate which prevents small log files being written to the same area during writing/appending larger files. In addition, linux programs tend to be slimmer than windows bloatware, so they don't take as much space, nor have a large opportunity to be fragmented.

That said, the average linux desktop user, which has zero level of understanding regarding their OS, and certainly linux filestructure, installs their copy of Ubuntu to a single partition, without even separating their user documents from all those temporary files and programs, suggesting fragmentation will affect linux as much as their windows installs. But the fragmentation may not be as noticeable, in linux, as HDD's are so quick these days, and linux programs are so small.

However, I just booted from an ubuntu LiveCD (for convenience), mounted the drive, and deleted the files which are protected from user deletion/modification by the Windows OS - they only calculated out to about 100KB of miscellaneous garbage files anyway.

Anyway, see below snapshot with the new beta 2.0 (1.6 download directs me directly to the beta 2.0, so I thought I might as well give it a whirl).

Problem persists.

See snapshot of Smart Defrag 2.0 vs Defraggler.

• 11 months later...

Hi ccornchip, welcome to IObit Forum! :grin:

After repying Toppack, please check if you have many System Restore Points.

You can delete the ones you may not use and create a fresh System Store Point.

If that doesn't solve it, please try once with Windows' own defragmenter and try with Smart Defrag again.

Cheers.

Hi ccornchip

To my mind it doesn't look too bad - I counted 107 unmoveables in your screenshot - right now mine said 35 in my analyze window.

I do have a couple of things running automatically.

Have you tried the suggestions?

Do you have many things running - automatically or minimized?

Cheers

solbjerg

btw, here is my 'screenshot'

Through another tutorial, I turned off hibernation, pagefile, and indexing.

I also removed my antivirus to no avail.

Hello, sorry for the late reply, I spent the weekend out enjoying the snow :wink:

Compressed files, windows backup and other backup programs:

I probably do have some .zip files around the place, most probably in my "Downloads" folder, I didn't think they would be unmovable but I'll delete them and see. As for Windows backup and Backup programs, I'm not too sure what is meant by that, where should I go to see if I have them?

File Compression activated on (some) folders:

I probably do!

My hard drive was quite full a while ago, and Windows probably found it in its best interest to compress some rarely used folders. It likely asked me and I likely clicked 'yes' ... so it is very likely.

But again, I don't know where they would be or how to find them.

System Restore Points:

They used to be activated, but I found an option somewhere that said "delete all restore points except for the last one" not long before attempting to defrag.

Other things running:

I have nothing running in a window, but likely some background things going on (e.g. automatic updaters for java, flash, chrome, etc) I'm not too sure how to boot my system without these running, and I thought that a "boot time defrag" would remedy these.

107 unmovables:

I agree, it isn't that bad, my system is running OK. I just wanted to partition my hard disk (using shrink volume), but these unmovables are getting in the way.

(by the way, I have lots of red because the screenshot was taken just after re-installing my anti-virus. iOrbit cleaned it all up nice and quickly.)

Please don't lose sleep over my problem. At worst, I'll just save everything to an external HD and do a system-recovery. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to.

[edit]

By the way, I've done some tidying up. Here's the latest screenshot, fullscreen this time!

Hi ccornchip

Windows key+pause/break will give you System Properties - under the tab System restore you can change the restore settings by clicking the button settings and choose the relevant drive and use the slide to change the amount of restore points.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Described in Usage of IObit Products

Hello, sorry for the late reply, I spent the weekend out enjoying the snow :wink:

Compressed files, windows backup and other backup programs:

I probably do have some .zip files around the place, most probably in my "Downloads" folder, I didn't think they would be unmovable but I'll delete them and see. As for Windows backup and Backup programs, I'm not too sure what is meant by that, where should I go to see if I have them?

File Compression activated on (some) folders:

I probably do!

My hard drive was quite full a while ago, and Windows probably found it in its best interest to compress some rarely used folders. It likely asked me and I likely clicked 'yes' ... so it is very likely.

But again, I don't know where they would be or how to find them.

System Restore Points:

They used to be activated, but I found an option somewhere that said "delete all restore points except for the last one" not long before attempting to defrag.

Other things running:

I have nothing running in a window, but likely some background things going on (e.g. automatic updaters for java, flash, chrome, etc) I'm not too sure how to boot my system without these running, and I thought that a "boot time defrag" would remedy these.

107 unmovables:

I agree, it isn't that bad, my system is running OK. I just wanted to partition my hard disk (using shrink volume), but these unmovables are getting in the way.

(by the way, I have lots of red because the screenshot was taken just after re-installing my anti-virus. iOrbit cleaned it all up nice and quickly.)

Please don't lose sleep over my problem. At worst, I'll just save everything to an external HD and do a system-recovery. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to.

[edit]

By the way, I've done some tidying up. Here's the latest screenshot, fullscreen this time!

Archived