IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Just wondering

Kuroixmachina

I have heard a lot about ASC 4, and personally i kind of like what i hear. but i want to ask the people here, is it safe enough to download. what i mean is, so long as i avoid the registry stuff (although i have used it on ASC 3.7.2 and suffered no ill effects), is the program stable enough to pose no risk if I use it carefully? because I really want to see the new program but at the same time this is my parent's computer so i don't want it to be too dangerous. Thank you

From my testing of ASC 4-beta version-1.5, on a computer with Windows-7 64bit, it appears to be very Stable, with No major problems.

Altho I'm sure IObit has probably Not released the final version Yet :?:

(I have questions about it that have not been answered yet, that will hopefully be answered in the Next version, that I'm waiting for)

But my general Rule is to Never Install software, that is Still in Beta testing, on a computer that I can Not afford to be Shut-down for a while. ;-)

Since there's always the chance that you will be the First to find a Problem that has not been seen before,

Such as a software or hardware Conflect.

I've always had one computer dedicated to testing of new hardware and software, and it has prevented a Great deal of Pain, several times. :lol:

thank you very much. I normally am not that afraid, ive used several beta products like smart defrag 2 1.1, among others, and never had an issue. But ASC does so many things i just felt it would be safer to ask. so thank you, I guess for now I"ll just wait. although to be honest theres even the chance that the final version could ruin a computer if you're not careful, or some unexpected glitch, but better safe than sorry I guess. I'll just check in often :D

Hi Kuroixmachina

One should never consider a beta product safe to use for the ordinary user.

And generally I would say that one should never experiment with other peoples computers, unless asked to or given a free rein.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have heard a lot about ASC 4, and personally i kind of like what i hear. but i want to ask the people here, is it safe enough to download. what i mean is, so long as i avoid the registry stuff (although i have used it on ASC 3.7.2 and suffered no ill effects), is the program stable enough to pose no risk if I use it carefully? because I really want to see the new program but at the same time this is my parent's computer so i don't want it to be too dangerous. Thank you

Iobit's Product Page

Hi Kuroixmachina

One should never consider a beta product safe to use for the ordinary user.

And generally I would say that one should never experiment with other peoples computers, unless asked to or given a free rein.

Cheers

solbjerg

----------------------------------------

Given this precautionary advice about downloading beta software, I'd like to point out that Iobit could be more prudent in it's download section and default to stable versions for download, and not link directly to the beta version.

For example, if an unwitting user wants to download Smart Defrag, he is automatically taken to the Smart Defrag 2 beta link, and the write-up is all about Smart Defrag 2. Though the download link does reveal it is a beta 2 version, the small print post, beneath this download link, reveals that one can choose the "old" version 1.5. It should say "stable" version, not "old version". You are, in effect, encouraging the download of betas by not having the stable version 1.5 as your primary, first choice link

So again, in keeping with your precautionary advice, the link for Smart Defrag should take one to the "stable" version 1.5, and then offer, under this link, the option to download the "beta" 2 version.

Given this precautionary advice about downloading beta software, I'd like to point out that Iobit could be more prudent in it's download section and default to stable versions for download, and not link directly to the beta version.

Yes, I agree with that complaint. :-?

Seems way too easy to download the beta versions, without More Warnings and Info about wheather it's the Latest version.

Since some beta downloads are Not even on IObit website, I doubt IObit has much Control there either, which is Not good. :cry:

Hi skyliner

Generally I agree with you - but it seems like you like many others think that I am an IObit employee - I am an ordinary user with the tag Administrator - helping out where I can quite voluntarily - as best I can knowledge-wise and depending on my spare time and my interest too. :-)

Those from IObit usually have the explanation that they belong to the IObit Team. One can find out who is who by reading Usage of IObit Products too. Links in my signature i.e. under Itemized subjects.

So my comments are on a personal level. I leave it to IObit to explain their policy regarding this question.

I will say however that it is good practise to read all information before committing oneself to any action. :-)

One can though understand their interest in promoting their products and having many people beta test their beta releases, but the initial beta releases should in my opinion be a bit more stable before releasing them on the general unsuspecting non-beta testers that have the practise of not reading anything before jumping in with both feet :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

For example, if an unwitting user wants to download Smart Defrag, he is automatically taken to the Smart Defrag 2 beta link, and the write-up is all about Smart Defrag 2. Though the download link does reveal it is a beta 2 version, the small print post, beneath this download link, reveals that one can choose the "old" version 1.5. It should say "stable" version, not "old version". You are, in effect, encouraging the download of betas by not having the stable version 1.5 as your primary, first choice link

So again, in keeping with your precautionary advice, the link for Smart Defrag should take one to the "stable" version 1.5, and then offer, under this link, the option to download the "beta" 2 version.

Hi skyliner

- I am an ordinary user with the tag Administrator - helping out where I can quite voluntarily - as best I can knowledge-wise and depending on my spare time and my interest too. :-)

What! :shock:

But Now who can we Blame for Everything:?: :shock:

:lol:

Hi Toppack

I am sure you will think of someone!! :-)

But on the other hand - I have noticed that you leave more helpful posts than belligerent ones :-) - Keep up the good work! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. My rule of thumb is that I first ascertain if it is probable that it isn't my own fault :-)

Re "Just Wondering"

Solbjerg - Thank you for pointing out your role as Administrator. Now I now not to hold you accountable for my previous gripe. I made a (false) assumption you represented Iobit. So, sorry for jumping on your butt and personalizing it :oops:

Consequently, I took my previously posted gripe about the default links to beta version 2 of Smart Defrag, and wrote directly to Iobit, using their "contact us" link from their web page. If and when I get an answer to my remarks on beta links as defaults, "old version" links vs "stable version" links etc, I'll post it for everyone's reading enlightenment.

Hi skyliner

That is OK

I wouldn't call it a gripe - I think it is good advice for IObit to be made aware of.

They probably read it here in this thread too, and hopefully they will think a little about it and make it more easily understandable.

The new version will probably soon be released and our comments will then be obsolete :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg - Thank you for pointing out your role as Administrator. Now I now not to hold you accountable for my previous gripe. I made a (false) assumption you represented Iobit. So, sorry for jumping on your butt and personalizing it :oops:

Consequently, I took my previously posted gripe about the default links to beta version 2 of Smart Defrag, and wrote directly to Iobit, using their "contact us" link from their web page. If and when I get an answer to my remarks on beta links as defaults, "old version" links vs "stable version" links etc, I'll post it for everyone's reading enlightenment.

Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions.

You must notice on the download page, only Smart Defrag 2 Beta is listed in the "Free Software" section. It's much better than SD v1 and safe enough for users although it is a "Beta version". Smart Defrag is such a popular tool and we think most of you like to use it ASAP, don't you? :-)

Cheers and much thanks for you again.

Archived