IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Help, it won't stop!

Help, it won't stop!  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I installed the Smart Defrag v. 2 beta and found that I still had v. 1.45 installed. That's problem #1 -- a new version should uninstall an older version. I ran one, and the other; maybe I had both running at once, I'm not sure.

I started a defrag and then wanted to pause and stop it. Though I clicked Pause and stop -- stopped was indicated -- and closed both versions, the defragmentation process is still running and using up to 50% of CPU time as I can see in Windows Task Manager. I have a 2 TB drive and this will take hours to complete. I don't dare shut down my computer either because I could lose data that way. What the heck do I do to get the defragmentation to stop? I don't have full use of my computer until it does.

I noticed that automatic defrag was set, but:

Neither version provides a message that automatic defrag is running, when you quit the application, or a progress window when it is running automatically. So, this intense disk and CPU activity is occurring and I have no clue as to what it is unless i open the task manager.

Defrag keeps running even after I deselect autodefrag it in both versions.

OK, I think I've figured it out:

"Minimize to system tray when program is closed (recommended)" is a default setting.

So when you close the application, it doesn't quit, it only minimizes its presence on the screen.

When I unchecked this default option in both versions, the program stopped -- its processes no longer appeared in the Task Manager. (Process for 1.45 is named "Iobit..." and for 2.0 is named "Smart..." I had to change the setting in both to get the defragementation to stop..

When I had the program open and clicked on Pause and Stop, it didn't pause or stop, at least not as long as the "Minimize to System Tray" option was checked. Pause and Stop, which are up-front commands, should take priority over a default setting that doe not even appear at the same time.

That they do not is bad behavior -- confusing and misleading user interface.

It may only occur when two versions are present, because stopping one doesn't stop the other, but on the other hand, installing the new version should uninstall the old one.

I realize that if a defragmentation is running, uninstallation may be more complicated in order to avoid losing data, but that should be easy enough to handle by having the installer stop the defragmentation process before uninstalling the earlier version.

I call this a BUG. It cost me hours of my time today.

A Beta Version should NOT uninstall an older version. :!:

Beta versions are for Testing Purposes Only and should be run Only for User Testing for the software developer.

Beta software is software that is Not finalized and previously unknown problems and conflects may be encountered.

Two versions of the same program should Nerver be running at same time, especially with a Beta version, without the possibility of unexpected results.

My overall conclusion

1) It is not OK for an application to grab a huge chunk of system resources and appear to release them, but not release them. Usually, an application minimized to a tiny icon on the taskbar is inactive. The minimizing to the taskbar while the application is still running is not at all obvious, because there is no announcement of it, and it is counterintuitiive because the "pause" and "stop" buttons don't work if the default automatic defragmentation is selected. This is especially annoying after the application is first installed, when there may be a huge amount of defragmenting to do and when the user is unfamiliar with the command structure.

2) The installation process is faulty in that it does not uninstall the previous version, and allows two programs to be controlling defragmentation at the same time. This may contribute to the other problem as well.

Just read the message from Toppack.

OK, so a beta version should not uninstall a release version. Fine.

But certainly, both versions should not be able to run at once.

The two versions very well may both be running at the same time just because the user is trying to stop them. The logic goes like this: Oh, it didn't stop, I can see that in the Task Manager. (I don't know to look in the clock area of the taskbar). Now, which one was running? Maybe the other one is the one that didn't stop. So I start that one, and now both are running, and neither will stop until I poke around and find the setting for automatic scans and uncheck that.

Best would be some sort of lock so only one version could run at once -- and also, when the application is minimized to a tiny icon over by the clock, it stops. If it is minimized like other software to the main part of the taskbar, where you can read its name, close it or restore it, THAT is what I would like to see it do when running automatically. An automatic defrag which is running should be stoppable or pausable without changing the setting to disable the feature.

More problems with this as a beta:

* Toppack says the 2.0 beta is only for developers, but MajorGeeks and perhaps other download sites offer it as the top option or only option.

* The installer launches the application by default (unless you uncheck a box) -- and so, if you have the earlier version running, you will then have both versions running, and as the default is automatic defragging, that will begin immediately before you understand the options, and then when you press Pause or Stop, they won't work.

This is a quote from the Majorgeek's download page's discription of Beta-2.0:

"This is the latest beta for testing and previewing upcoming features."

I agree that there should be More Warnings for those not familiar with what the word Beta really means. That has been discussed in another thread of this forum and hopefully will be noticed by those setting up the Download sites and corrected.

As I said before, 2 versions of Same Program should Never be run at Same Time. Doing that is 'Asking for Trouble'.;-)

Hi jsallen, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

When Smart Defrag 2 Beta 1.0 was released first time, it had uninstalled all the subversions of version 1 and there was no availability of download of version 1, but a lot of users objected and protested, so IObit released a newer version of the Beta which was not uninstalling the old version, warning the usage of the SD Beta and also uploaded the setup file of version1 with the request of the users.

So, although the new and the old shouldn't be used together, users insisted of testing the betas of SD without loosing the chance to use the stable version 1.

As a result, now there is another contrary complaint.

My suggestion will be; Not to use the Beta versions of IObit products unless one accepts the consequences.

Although posted in Oct. 2007, Running βeta software thread by Moderator JustDave in Usage of IObit Products section is a good read on this subject.

Sorry for the glitch it caused to you, but it is impossible for IObit to win them all. :lol:

BTW, unfortunately I am not an IObit employee and a user like any of you dear members.:grin:

All the best and cheers.

Smart Defrag - Beta 2

Well - I wrote to Iobit and complained (as I did on another thread here on the forum) that their SD link should not default to a Beta version, but rather to stable version 1.5,. Iobit is just irresponsible on this matter. Look at my inquiry below to Iobit and their response. They ignored the issue completely. They might as well have been replying to anything----Feedback was as worthless as "Have A Nice Day". All they say is thank you and we appreciate your support.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your good comments.

We appreciate your support of IObit.

On 18 February 2011 06:53, Mike...... wrote:

This has been covered in your forums, but I'm told the forum administrators don't work for Iobit - though they agree with my opinion, so I address this directly to you. Your default download URL for Smart Defrag should be to the stable version 1.5 and not to the still in beta SD2. Good practice dictates that the default version for any software should be the "stable" version". Instead, you have subjugated it to a small print URL that says "old version". Seems you're pushing your Beta version as the default download for SD, which is not a good business practice and should not be foisted upon the casual user who is not prepared for a test environment on his PC. Thank you - Mike

Hi Mike,

I do get similar responses when I write directly to IObit too, so it is their way of saying "Yes we understand your point of view and we will think about it".

So, it shouldn't be taken as irresponsibility and ignoring, but asking for some time to look at the matter. It has only been 2 days and we are at weekend.

Thank you for your understanding.

Cheers.

Hi jsallen

In a perfect world only beta testers would download beta products. :-)

But given the curiosity of many people there seems to be many that are so curious that they take the chance of trying out a beta product whitout taking any steps to minimize possible mishaps.

About closing the applications (of course a prudent tester will not have automatic functions running in these circumstances)

But having the icons in the tray does offer the opportunity to close the applications fully, - just right click each one of them and select Close - one by one.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6847&stc=1&d=1298205542

The first icon from the left is SD2 the third icon from the left is SD1.50

And I have tested that they both close if that option is chosen here by me.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I made the picture 150% size to make it more readable, but it did get a little less sharp by that process, sorry.

More problems with this as a beta:

* Toppack says the 2.0 beta is only for developers, but MajorGeeks and perhaps other download sites offer it as the top option or only option.

* The installer launches the application by default (unless you uncheck a box) -- and so, if you have the earlier version running, you will then have both versions running, and as the default is automatic defragging, that will begin immediately before you understand the options, and then when you press Pause or Stop, they won't work.

Hi Mike,

I do get similar responses when I write directly to IObit too, so it is their way of saying "Yes we understand your point of view and we will think about it".

OK Mike, here is the response from IObit as predicted!

They have thought about it and the result is, they prefer the way it is, as they believe SD2 is better than SD1 even as a Beta.

Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions.

You must notice on the download page, only Smart Defrag 2 Beta is listed in the "Free Software" section. It's much better than SD v1 and safe enough for users although it is a "Beta version". Smart Defrag is such a popular tool and we think most of you like to use it ASAP, don't you? :-)

Cheers and much thanks for you again.

All the best and cheers.

Archived