IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defragging still shows red boxes

Hi jonny

Please provide some screenshots i.e. your program settings and a defrag picture and a copy of the defragmentation report.

Do you have other programs running during defrag?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have a HD with 120GB with 28 GB free. I did a Deep optimization and still have fragmented files with red boxes. Why is this?

Sorry this was a few days ago on a computer that I do not have any more. There was the Internet browser and the task manager open at the time only. But we had 12 rows of red boxes that were almost solid all the way across. So that's what it looked like. Should we do it again. I don't understand all the fragmented boxes or files. I just did my laptop right now and I had no red boxes left on it.

We turned off Restore. This is an XP Pro computer. So I always turn off Restore when doing a defrag. We then re-instated the restore points. So I guess we don't know what causes these dozens and dozens of red fragmented squares. I didn't think that we could figure it out. I will look elsewhere for the answer. Apparantly Smart Defrag may not be the program to use. I have been using it for two years now though.

???

The Back-up files, or any other Compressed files, would have to be Deleted, before running SD, for SD not to see them and By-pass them.

It's Compressed data on hard-drive that SD can not defrag and stay as Red blocks.

Disableing Backup/Restore does not delete those files.

Back-up files? I am not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean with and external drive? Or do you mean on the C Windows drive compressed? Usually when I back up then I do it on an external drive. Why would someone have Back-up files on their C? That is not a back up, but I guess it could be if someone wanted to duplicate their files in another folder.

Do you mean Backed-up files or Back-up?

Yes, Backup/restore utilities, including those that are included in Windows operating-systems, use File-Compression to reduce the size of the files so they take up less space on HD.

It's any compressed data that SD can not defrag, no matter which program compresses it, since compressed files are a completely different file structure than normal data files.

Compressed (Back-up) files can be stored on any drive, including the C: drive.

It's just better to have them on a separate physical drive than the OS is on.

Wow, I guess to keep this program on people's computers they should adjust their colors and show a colored box with the word Compressed files or files that cannot be defragged otherwise people may think that their Smart Defrag is not working properly. I call this losing customers, read on.

Case in point: I just did a customer's computer the other day. Real anal guy that reads everything on the screen no matter what it is.

We did a big Deep Optimize and saw these undefragged boxes by the dozen and he said maybe we should use another defragger because this one does not work that well.

I was stumped and have been researching this issue for what,,,,4 days now?

Now I can call the guy and said that his hd is fine and these are compressed files.

Does every program in the universe have to be researched like this so people will understand them? Why can't this be common knowledge for the user.

Help files not helpful? No I did not find this information. No wonder I spend hours and hours helping others because I am reading and testing programs for them to use or to solve their problems.

Tired of using my brain that much. I have put the question about the fragmented files on four different discussion boards so far.

If I go back to this guys computer today he will not have the program any more. I just know him. He will go with Defraggler or Auslogics or just the Windows defrag. So this is a lost customer because of poorly written help files.

• 2 weeks later...
The Red blocks were probably 'Windows Back-up/restore' files.

SD can Not defrag those.

Do you have proof of this? It started out as a "probably" and ended up as something out of a computer bible. Just saying, this is how misinformation gets spread.

Hi Iceguy2003, welcome to the IObit Forum.

Do you have any ideas about the problem discussed? Let's hear it and we all may discuss them.

There is a history of the concept in the Forum Toppack is mentioning and he has experienced it.

Well, my idea is that if the user installed Protected Folder, a file getting bigger in that folder with every defrag and it is fragmented. :idea:

Cheers.

Yep, What he said!

It was Real!

But I was suggesting one very probable cause. One that I know did that with an earlier version of 2beta.

Evidently they followed my suggestion and changed that, since compressed files are now Black, in version 2beta 3.0 update. :grin:

Archived