IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Dead in the water [ASC Pro v4 - Disk Check Problem]

allewyn

After I downloaded and installed ASC 4, I attempted to reboot but was met with a blue screen message indicating a chkdsk session had been ordered and it started. I let it run, because it seemed it was running normally, although I had not experienced having to run chkdsk after installing new software from IoBit. When chkdsk completed the screen went blank and after a few seconds a message appeared saying that Windows had been shutdown suddenly or had lost power and I was asked to choose one of 5 options. 1.Safe mode, 2.Safe mode with networking blah blah 4. Use last known good settings and 5. Start normally.

I chose start normally thinking the message meant I should do that. It whirred and clicked a few times and the Windows logo came on saying Windows is starting. I exhaled for the first time in five minutes.

Then the same black screen with same choices came up and I chose Use last known good settings and the Windows logo came up again saying it was starting. Then the blackscreen came back up and I knew I was screwed.

Evidently updating the ASC software has created a deadly problem in my box. One that I cannot recover from. One that is going to take all the information I had on the disc and keep it forever. All my stuff. (I can't restore a backup if it won't start braintrust). Thanks IOBit. This is going to cost me hundreds of dollars and lost hours of effort that I just can't afford. Why was this released before it was checked and debugged?

scheduled chkdsk ?

Sorry you are having major problems :-(

After I downloaded and installed ASC 4, I attempted to reboot but was met with a blue screen message indicating a chkdsk session had been ordered and it started.....

Did you only install ASC then reboot or did you run some scans or play with some tools first?

As far as I know, you are the only person to report this and since ASC does not automatically schedule a chkdsk (it didn't with me) it might be best to look at what other software might have scheduled the chkdsk.

Edit: ASC Disk Scan does schedule a chkdsk if it finds a problem. See post # 4. (Thanks enoskype)

One example could be a defrag software that was scheduled to run a chkdsk then do a Boot Time defrag.

Plus, what other software was running when you rebooted the computer?

All the best, woz of oz

v4 CHKDSK request at bootup

Someone else reported this issue recently. Donwloaded v4. At next bootup system went to request for CHKDSK. Happened at bootup everytime until I uninstalled v4. Request for CHKDSK disappeared. Love the utility but will not use if this continues. XP PRO SP3

Please untick Disk Scan in Deep Care of ASC4 if you don't want it to be executed.

Disk Scan performs a chkdsk without any parameter when the Windows is running, but if finds an error/fault on the disk, invokes for chkdsk /F in the next restart of Windows.

One thing is for sure that the problem arises from disks with an error in system files indexing, security, USN journal, etc., or a bad sector on the disk, otherwise Disk Scan finishes with an OK for the disk.

Cheers.

ASC did not create the errors, ASC is Finding drive errors that Need to be fixed.

'Chkdsk /f' may need to be run more than once to fix them all, also.

Of course if the drive is not repairable and continues to get errrors, the drive will need to be replaced.

(I have seen a loose data-cable connector cause drive errors also)

ASC Pro v4 - Disk Check Problem

I was really impressed with the free version that was put on my pc by Dell

(http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/dps/speed_up_your_computer?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs)

When I do a Deep Scan the Disk Scan bit does the disk scan when the pc has been rebooted and it does the scan rather quickly then it reboots, I got the windows XP screen then the screen goes black and I get the egg timer and it stays like that

IOBits email support is poor as it takes 2 days to get a reply

I was hoping someone on here could help me

My pc was running like a dream for the 1st few days after I bought the pro version of both ASC and 360 Security

Have you tried to continue the bootup by selecting 'Safe' mode?

I don't know which key should be pressed to get into Startup-Menu, on the Dell, though?

Maybe the Del, Esc, F2 or F8 ?

If you can get it to boot in Safe-mode, then you may be able to determine what is causing problem.

I would recommend running chkdsk /f in the Run line, first, to determine if there are errors on hard-drive.

chkdsk /f requires a re-boot and runs at DOS level, so getting back into Windows again is Not required for it to run.

F8 gets that boot menu, if you get it by default go into normal, no normal go into safe without networking. If safe without networking isn't working You need to do a repair with a windows cd or dvd, or peboot tools etc..

safe mode without networking is a last resort, it loads minimal resources. If it isn't working you have a corrupted file system.

Have you tried to continue the bootup by selecting 'Safe' mode?

I don't know which key should be pressed to get into Startup-Menu, on the Dell, though?

Maybe the Del, Esc, F2 or F8 ?

If you can get it to boot in Safe-mode, then you may be able to determine what is causing problem.

I would recommend running chkdsk /f in the Run line, first, to determine if there are errors on hard-drive.

chkdsk /f requires a re-boot and runs at DOS level, so getting back into Windows again is Not required for it to run.

Yes I tried F8, I tried safe mode and that didnt work, the only thing that worked was the last known good working option you get when you press F8

How do I resolve this

Thanks

Yes I tried F8, I tried safe mode and that didnt work, the only thing that worked was the last known good working option you get when you press F8

How do I resolve this

Thanks

Your options:

Microsoft's CHKDSK /R function corrupted your file system not ASC. Most likely as a result of some malware or poorly managed system; it's not exactly uncommon. Chkdsk is one of those low level tools that should never be ran by consumer level users because their solution to everything is process of elimination by blind choices. I know as a seasoned IT person that most users just replace stuff instead of managing it.

Disk Scan test

Windows XP Home SP3

FYI: I was able to test the ASC 4 Disk Check first hand because I had to do an emergency shutdown (hold down Power button) on my Netbook (this was my fault) and when I started my Netbook again I ran an ASC 4 Deep Scan and got one error in the Disk Scan with this report

Windows XP

English (United States)

C:\ Volume Label: ACER, File System: NTFS

Volume label is ACER.

Advanced SystemCare is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

File verification completed.

Advanced SystemCare is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

Deleting index entry DISKSCAN.EXE-34239281.pf in index $I30 of file 19629.

Deleting index entry DISKSC~1.PF in index $I30 of file 19629.

Index verification completed.

Errors found. Advanced SystemCare cannot continue in read-only mode.

I guess the error was because of the emergency shutdown because I have not had any errors reported before.

I let ASC fix the error and later turned off my Netbook.

When I turned it back on I got a Windows chkdsk and that completed successfully.

Everything is now running normally :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

I got same: disc scan/check "problem". After upgrading to ASC Pro 4 (I used to have ASC Pro 3) this disc scan/check is coming every time I reboot the PC. In my case it ends up with error message in connection with Microsoft.Net Framework and the PC freezes. After running the disc scan at the very begging it takes up to 20 minutes to show the desktop with the icons and wallpaper and right after Microsoft.Net Framework error appears and nothing works. Applications, programs all dead. I'm able to open some of programs in the start menu, but they don't work fully. Please help me how to fix this problem.

sasexe

Untick Disk Scan

Welcome to the forum sasexe :smile:

To stop chkdsk from running when you boot or reboot your computer untick Disk Scan in Deep Care of Advanced System Care 4

Please read through the other posts in this thread

All the best, woz of oz

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling all Microsoft.Net Framework versions. Please read the relevant MS articles, as there is a tool from MS for uninstalling and a sequence in installing.

After uninstalling, I suggest command promt chkdsk /R

ALso sfc /scannow fron Run... at Start menu is another one which could be tried just after above.

cheers.

Thanks wozofoz for quick reply. Even if I stop the disk scan I can't use the PC. All the programs are either irresponsive or very very slow with limited working abilities. I can't untick Disk Scan in Deep Care of Advanced System Care 4 because ASC 4 doesn't work. I'm sending these messages from a different PC.

Fixed the problem. F8 at the start up and then "Last Known Good Configuration"-Enter. Windows started w/no problems. Unchecked the Disc Scan in ASC 4 and now no problems. Thanks everybody how helped me in this forum.

Fixed the problem. F8 at the start up and then "Last Known Good Configuration"-Enter. Windows started w/no problems. Unchecked the Disc Scan in ASC 4 and now no problems. Thanks everybody how helped me in this forum.

That must be telling us that your C: drive or partition has Physical Errors.

So, you definitely Need to run the chkdsk /f low-level utility program, to attempt to repair it, if you have not already.

And to consider the possiblity of replacing the drive.

Backup

That must be telling us that your C: drive or partition has Physical Errors.

So, you definitely Need to run the chkdsk /f low-level utility program, to attempt to repair it, if you have not already.

And to consider the possiblity of replacing the drive.

Also, if you are not already doing it I would suggest you backup all your important documents, photos etc to an external hard drive or Flashdrive.

If your hard drive does fail you will at least have those backups to reinstall on your new hard drive.

SyncToy is a free and easy to use backup software.

Hint: When you first want to make a backup copy of a folder:

• Use the Windows Copy feature to copy the folder to the external hard drive or flashdrive

• Launch SyncToy and click 'Create new folder pair'

• Select the folder you just copied in the Left Folder (From C: computer drive) and Right Folder (To external drive)

SyncToy will look for any changes to that folder on the C: drive and make the same changes to the folder on the external drive :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived