IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

kind of hanging after 6-7 days

VVeeger

Using Smart Defrag 2.01 on Windows 7 64bit

Only use SD auto-defrag function on a very large raid volume.

It works perfect for 6-7 days (without rebooting the system) and then it stops working. It does not hang completely but some options within the menu are not accessiblele anymore and the auto-defrag stops working.

Removing the service and restarting it again (or system reboot) resets things and give me a functional SD for another 6-7 days.

Any idea how to solve this?

Can you be more specific about which menu catagories and options stop working?

Is it only the Automatic or Scheduled runs that are disabled, or something else?

What do you mean by 'not accessible', do you mean that the option pages will not display when clicking the Settings path-menu item,

or do you mean that some options are grayed-out and not changeable?

How many times have you seen it hang up like that?

Maybe that Info will give us a clue as to what is causing it.

Can you be more specific about which menu catagories and options stop working?

Is it only the Automatic or Scheduled runs that are disabled, or something else?

What do you mean by 'not accessible', do you mean that the option pages will not display when clicking the Settings path-menu item,

or do you mean that some options are grayed-out and not changeable?

How many times have you seen it hang up like that?

Maybe that Info will give us a clue as to what is causing it.

Hi Toppack,

nothing happens when I click the options settings and support, they are not gray just not responding.

[ATTACH]7581[/ATTACH]

In this state I cannot select the defrag type anymore like picture above but just selecting defrag or analyse does work.

It feels like some buffer gets filled after 6-7 days running.

If system is not rebooted within 6-7 days it always happens. This was the case with v. 2.00 and did not change with v 2.01

I can select the tab automatic defrag and there altough there is fragmentation it just stops running indicating an old "last automatic defrag date"

As my system is used as a server it does not reboot very often.

Guess most of SD user reboot there system more than once a week causing the problem not to occure. Would like to here from other users if they are able to run SD for more than a week without rebooting system.

Any ideas appreciated as I like SD and its way of dealing with fragmentation a lot!

Sounds like we need to get the Programmers involved with this problem.

Since it sounds like something is filling up to me also. Maybe a Log or Report file is size limited?

(I don't think there is a way to disable the Report file, to try that ?)

We never leave SD loaded for a week, since all of ours are shut-down at night, and there's probably a very small percentage of users that do leave them on that long.

But I'm sure that there is a large enough number that Do, so this definitely needs to be tested by programmers.

I'm wondering if the Raid configuration has anything to do with it?

It may be helpful for them to know your system specs:

(how much RAM, number of drives, drive sizes & volume free-space, etc.)

Thanks for your assistance so far!

Some additional details:

12 Gb system memory

Hardware raid Areca ARC-1220

1 raid set, 1 volume set, 1 partition of 14Tb

8x2Tb drives under Raid-5

Used space 10.1 Tb

Free space 2.57 Tb

Compress this drive NOT enabled

Contents indexed enabled

File system NTFS

Disk quotas disabled

OS (and Smart Defrag) installed on a separate 240Gb SSD-drive (Vertex-2)

Partitions on this SSD are de-selected within Smart Defrag.

Smart Defrag only active on Raid-partition and configured/used only as Automatic Defrag.

WOW! Great Setup! :shock:

I certainly don't see anything I would do differently.

I'm guessing that IObit techs Won't be able to exactly duplicate that system for their Testing, though. :roll:

Let's hope that the problem is just an over-filled log file or something simple like that.

• 1 month later...
WOW! Great Setup! :shock:

I certainly don't see anything I would do differently.

I'm guessing that IObit techs Won't be able to exactly duplicate that system for their Testing, though. :roll:

Let's hope that the problem is just an over-filled log file or something simple like that.

Hi Toppack,

after install of latest version 2.1 I noticed that functions do not hang anymore after 7 days of running, but the program just exits.

This is actually better because now I can run a program like:

If not exist smartdefrag.exe start smartdefrag.exe

Did you hear anything from programmers concerning this issue?

Hi Toppack,

after install of latest version 2.1 I noticed that functions do not hang anymore after 7 days of running, but the program just exits.

This is actually better because now I can run a program like:

If not exist smartdefrag.exe start smartdefrag.exe

Did you hear anything from programmers concerning this issue?

I'm just a user like you, so they have not given me one of those 'Magic crystal balls' for direct communication, yet. :roll: :lol:

Maybe they read about your problem and fixed it in latest version though ?

I'm just a user like you, so they have not given me one of those 'Magic crystal balls' for direct communication, yet. :roll: :lol:

Maybe they read about your problem and fixed it in latest version though ?

aha, ok I got the impression you were an IObit representitive, lol

Hard too communicate with those guys :-(

Have you tried adjusting the UI transparency? I have found there is a bug where the application is functioning correctly, but it just isn't refreshing the UI to display the changes.

Click "Settings" in the upper right. Select "User Interface" on the left. Adjust the slider to the right a little. Click the "Recommended" button, then click "OK".

Does it work now? This is a bug that I found months ago, and I was hoping that it would be fixed in ver 2.1. However, I still have this happen to me infrequently.

If the programmers did read these forums, they would have seen my posts about this. Apparently, they are too busy with other things.

-= Einy =-

Have you tried adjusting the UI transparency? I have found there is a bug where the application is functioning correctly, but it just isn't refreshing the UI to display the changes.

Click "Settings" in the upper right. Select "User Interface" on the left. Adjust the slider to the right a little. Click the "Recommended" button, then click "OK".

Does it work now? This is a bug that I found months ago, and I was hoping that it would be fixed in ver 2.1. However, I still have this happen to me infrequently.

If the programmers did read these forums, they would have seen my posts about this. Apparently, they are too busy with other things.

-= Einy =-

I'll give it a try Einstein47, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

-= Einy =-

doesn't solve my problem, after 7 days running (in a row) SD service just exits.

Waiting for next release who knows.....

Hi VVeeger

Have you tried a "Clean Install", sometimes leftovers from the previous version can generate problems, after an over the top install.

Cheers

solbjerg

doesn't solve my problem, after 7 days running (in a row) SD service just exits.

Waiting for next release who knows.....

• 2 weeks later...
Hi VVeeger

Have you tried a "Clean Install", sometimes leftovers from the previous version can generate problems, after an over the top install.

Cheers

solbjerg

will try solberg, thanks!

Did you hear words addressing this issue?

Hi VVeeger

Sorry for the W -blame it on my old eyes :-)

Ok, sorry, but didn't I see you mentioning SSD somewhere?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes I mentioned and use SSD too but is is not relevant to my problem.

Another use wanted to know exact configuration where it (SSD) was mentioned.

Take care....

Archived