IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System Control changes taskbar button width in XP

Onihikage

Most of the things in System Control of IObit Toolbox work just fine, but if I change anything under the "Task Bar" section of the "Others" tab, the task bar item width on reboot will be shortened so that all I see is the icon and one character of the program's title. It looks to be somewhere in the ballpark of 50 pixels wide.

So, how can I change the taskbar item width back to normal?

How to change width of items in taskbar (winxp)

Hi Onihikage, welcome to IObit forum! :grin:

Write regedit to Run... in Start menu and ENTER, Registry Editor will be opened.

Since your OS is XP Pro,

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

The default data value for MinWidth is -2310 (MinWidth=-2310).

-255 reduces size to only show the icon.

1 pixel=-15 (You can chance the value to match your required size.)

Cheers.

Problem solved a different way

Thanks! The value was actually set to 0, and before your post, I found information elsewhere that the default width is 160 pixels. I actually entered 160 for MinWidth and the taskbar items were restored to normal width. Will edit later if using your value achieves the same results.

In the meantime, do you know whether or not IObit knows about/will fix this problem for the next version of IObit Toolbox?

EDIT: Both work, though your value gives slightly shorter ones. I guess positive values are direct-to-pixels while negative values follow that conversion method.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys. Long time no speaky.

Just FYI.

This problem from May is still occurring. :cry:

I just switched over (finally) to ASC v4 Pro, and installed v4.10.235.

When I checked the Windows Registry key enoskype referenced in his above post, the key was set to 0 (zero).

I had a hell of a time finding this thread so I'm going to add some words to this post to maybe make it easier for the next poor sole that experiences this unwanted change.

Crazy Tim

Extra words:

windows xp pro open application applications taskbar button width appearance icons

Hi Onihikage

I see you use XP, so our metric ought to be similar provided you use the default 96 DPI (Dots Per square Inch) In Xp the only other presetting is 120 DPI by me.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8256&stc=1&d=1315578333

A square inch is 6,25 mm^2, 96 dots/6,25 = 15,36 dots per mm^2

120 dots/6,25 = 19,2 dots per mm^2

I have a 17" (inch) screen

From there you should be able to figure out the number you need :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Most of the things in System Control of IObit Toolbox work just fine, but if I change anything under the "Task Bar" section of the "Others" tab, the task bar item width on reboot will be shortened so that all I see is the icon and one character of the program's title. It looks to be somewhere in the ballpark of 50 pixels wide.

So, how can I change the taskbar item width back to normal?

Hi Onihikage

I see you use XP, so our metric ought to be similar provided you use the default 96 DPI (Dots Per square Inch) In Xp the only other presetting is 120 DPI by me.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8256&stc=1&d=1315578333

A square inch is 6,25 mm^2, 96 dots/6,25 = 15,36 dots per mm^2

120 dots/6,25 = 19,2 dots per mm^2

I have a 17" (inch) screen

From there you should be able to figure out the number you need :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

If you'd noticed, I've long been able to fix the problem myself. The issue here is that changing any "Task Bar" settings in the "Others" tab of the "System Control" application will automatically set MinWidth to 0. Has this been fixed? I'd much rather hear that it has, rather than hear about whatever formula I should use to figure out what number I need to fix it. Should those "Taskbar" options just be disabled under Windows XP?

Hi Onikage

Sorry, the problem may then be that not everyone experiences this "problem".

I don't!!

Cheers solbjerg

If you'd noticed, I've long been able to fix the problem myself. The issue here is that changing any "Task Bar" settings in the "Others" tab of the "System Control" application will automatically set MinWidth to 0. Has this been fixed? I'd much rather hear that it has, rather than hear about whatever formula I should use to figure out what number I need to fix it. Should those "Taskbar" options just be disabled under Windows XP?

• 7 months later...

Task Bar Icon widths

This "problem" is still present in ASC Pro v5.2.0.223 with Windows 7 32-bit.

Having gone through the Toolbox System Control Task Bar changes, I ended up with either very thin vertical icons (for minimised tasks) with no idea of what they were for and very long overlapping icons for un-minimised tasks. It was so confusing I was unable to determine where to click on the task bar.

It was so bad, that in the end I resorted to a full O/S restore to the previous night (but that's another story!)

:x

• 1 month later...

Okay, now something weird just happened. I saw that one of the icons on the desktop was out of place, and when I moved it, the icons changed shape and spaced out around the screen, and I cant fix it.

See for yourself:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3138/desktopiif.jpg' alt='desktopiif.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

As you can see, the taskbar items are too large AND the desktop items are too spaced apart. I don't know how to fix it back to before I used System Control.

Please Help!

Hi ColinTheAmazing, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

As your OS is Windows 7,

1. Right-click a blank part of the Desktop and choose Personalize.
  2. Click the Windows Color icon near the bottom of the Personalize window.
  3. Choose Advanced Appearance Settings at the bottom of the Window Color window. (The familiar Windows Color and Appearance window appears.)
  4. In the Item drop-down list, choose either Icon Spacing (Horizontal) or Icon Spacing (Vertical) and choose the desired spacing in the Size box.
  5. Click Apply to test your changes. Not perfect? Head back to Step 4 and experiment until you find spacing you like.
  6. Choose OK when you’ve spaced them to meet your needs.

Default is:

Horizontal=50

Vertical:43

Cheers.

Archived