IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartDefrag 2.0.1 GUI/Skin unresponsive or buggy

i333bit

WinXP sp3, NoD32

Happy user of smart defrag 1.5 and went to upgrade to version 2

The new skin doesn't allow me to select drives and I can't resize the window. If i attempt to resize/maximize the window, close it to tray, reopen, the new window size only then updates. Clicking settings and buttons there is a slight delay or lag.

Seems rather buggy to me. Tried complete uninstall/reinstall didn't solve the issue. Is there a way to disable the skin? don't need pretty visuals.

Where can I download version 1.5 again?

Sounds like you are talking about a Different program? :lol:

It should look similar to attached screen-capture, with drive selection at top:

(It has been draged to maximum size for this 1440X900 monitor and it reloads to that size every time it's loaded)

If you are seeing something different do a screen-capture and attach it, on this forum.

Click attachment:

yes that is the program i am talking about.

I cant check mark the drives I want to defrag. I cant adjust the window size, it won't update until i close to task and open again. Something with this new skin is buggy for me.

It sounds like the SD loading process is not completeing.

I'm pretty sure the problem is Not related to the GUI skin, unless you have some kind of Very Unusual graphics driver-software or hardware.

The only things I can think of that cause a Freeze-up are either corrupted SD program files or your computer is running out of Resources, for some reason.

If you tried Reinstalling, maybe you need to try downloading it from website again?

You may need to Uninstall any older versions or older installs before trying another Install.

Did you try running Process-explorer or Task-manager utilitie to see if there are other programs running that may be conflicting with the SD loading?

Task-manager will also tell you if there is a hardware overload, such as excessive memory useage.

SD should not overload even small resource computer systems, so there would have to be some other software conflect or some other program along with SD causing a hardware overload.

I suppose a defective Hard-drive or HD interface could cause a freeze-up but not sure about that?

I just noticed that you said that you are using NoD32 Security program.

I'm Not familiar with that one but you may want to temporarily disable it to determine if there is a conflect with it?

That's not a widely used Security program so that's a posibility.

I uninstalled 1.5 reinstalled 2. Redownloaded reinstalled. Same thing.

CPU resource isn't hanging. below 10%. Computer seems to be running fine, seems like its a graphic bug with the way the skin is used on my system.

Using Auslogic/Defraggler for the time being. Maybe when ver 2.5 is out or something.

Nod32 is an antivirus, seems widely used to me, could be not playing nice with SD2

seems like its a graphic bug with the way the skin is used on my system.

What makes you think that?

Is your system different in some way?

It is working fine on hundreds of other computers.

Nod32 could be not playing nice with SD2

Yes, that is Very possible.

• 2 weeks later...

i333bit,

I'm having the same unresponsiveness from the GUI as you.

You cannot check a drive, and the Defrag, Analyze, Pause and Resume buttons don't appear to work.

The HELP and all the other things work OK and the program is in fact running; just the GUI doesn't update in real time.

Toppack,

There MAY indeed be hundreds of people out there who have it working OK yet maybe thousands who have had this same problem but decided to simply uninstall and move on to a defragger that works properly for them instead of reporting this problem.

I was trying to get you to think about what is Different in your system, that would cause it Not to work properly? :?:

No one can fix a problem that they can Not See. :?

Do you think there may be a conflect with NoD32, on your system?

If not, try disabling other software, running at same time, and look for changes.

This is a major issue with this program. Sounds like a lot are having the same issue. You can go to other sites and read where others are complaining about the same problem.

I know this isn't a fix but one person found you can make it show up as working by going to Settings, User Interface and then Transparency. Just adjust your Slider some and the program will work right, for this time only. You always have to go back and readjust the slider some each time you use it. At least it allows you to see what's going on at the time your using the program.

Hope this helps, it's the only thing that's kept me from uninstalling and trying another program.

I am having the same problem, but to expand a little more, none of the "tabs" seem to work. In actuallity, all is working, it is just not refreshing the display. By closing and re-opening the refresh shows up. I tried doing an analysis and it looked like nothing was happening, I closed and re-opened and there was the completed analysis. I am using a Dell Lattitude D600 laptop running Windows XP Pro 32 bit SP3, I also use a Dell Optiplex 980 desktop running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and there are no issues there.

I suspect this is an "XP" or a "32 bit" issue.

Since this is an older laptop, it is possible that the graphics driver may have an issue, I have the latest driver available. Windows 7 does require a more advanced driver than XP. Of course, Dell wants you to buy the latest and greatest, so their support for this machine has ended whether they admit it or not. So trying to improve the graphics is out of the question.

That being said, this leads me to the conclusion that improvements in version 2 are not 100% backwards compatible. That may be wrong, but that is how I see it.

A previous post had noted that adjusting the "Transparency" every time the GUI display is opened will correct the problem, but it must be done every time. I had verified that this is the case with my machine. Since Windows XP is not designed to take advantage of screen enhancements like transparency, this may be the root of the issue.

For now I will just do the transparency adjustment every time I open the GUI, I think I can handle a few extra seconds to use Smart Defrag 2, it is the best defrag tool I have seen in a very long time (since Windows 3.1 and PCTools, I think I just dated myself :-D).

The other part to consider is, would it be worth the effort? Honestly, I do not think so. Since relatively newer PCs with better graphics cards even running XP don't have the issue, this seems more like a "Add a notification" that you may need to adjust transparency to activate the GUI for you session.

The other part to consider is, would it be worth the effort? Honestly, I do not think so. Since relatively newer PCs with better graphics cards even running XP don't have the issue, this seems more like a "Add a notification" that you may need to adjust transparency to activate the GUI for you session.

I see your point, but do we want those that are having the problem to be required to readjust Transparancy Everytime they use the program?

I don't think they should be expected to Upgrade their computer just to run new versions of software, or just Not Use the software.

Microsoft can 'Get Away' with that, but most software developers can Not. :lol:

I'm having the same "unresponsive" problem

Installed the latest 2.0.1 level of Smart Defrag 2, on Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3, on a Lenovo Thinkpad W500 (uses ATI FireGL 5700 video). I've checked everything and have updated the ATI video driver. Clicking on the tabs of SD do "nothing" ... for a looooooong while at least, and then eventually take effect (perhaps when the program is refreshing its screen for its own purposes). I haven't been able to find a pattern/cause for the problem, but it is constant, and makes SD pretty much unusable in this environment.

I agree with the others that if it's the new Transparency feature that it causing the problem, there ought to be a way to disable it. (I don't care about Transparency, and have it set to its "full opaque" default anyway.)

Thanks for listening,

and for a great program (almost),

Greg

P.S. I too have switched to Auslogic Disk Defrag, but will still use SD2 for its unique defrag-at-boot capability.

I see your point, but do we want those that are having the problem to be required to readjust Transparancy Everytime they use the program?

I don't think they should be expected to Upgrade their computer just to run new versions of software, or just Not Use the software.

Microsoft can 'Get Away' with that, but most software developers can Not. :lol:

I didn't mean to imply you could get away with it, and I don't think you took it that way. I agree that MS gets away with it, they really don't care about the end user (my opinion) just the money they get.

99% of my usage of SD is the automatic functions, for the other 1%, I can deal with the transparency adjustment. I will be looking forward to a possible fix.

One more thing I must say about MS, I have posted on their forums and have only seen replies from non-MS people trying to help. The fact that you actually listen and attempt to help will keep me using your products, and convince me that purchasing the premium versions are worth it.:grin:

Guys, do you have the same glitch with the new version SD 2.1?

Cheers.

2.1? Mine is 2.0.1, and I have the "nonresponsive skin" problem with it.

Is there really a newer 2.1? I can't find it available for download anywhere. SD 2.0.1 seems to be the latest'n'greatest (but sadly broken) version.

Thanks,

Greg

The Latest 2.1:

(I think!)

(Things happen Fast around here) :lol:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=10698

OK, I installed 2.1 today and the "nonresponsive" problem of 2.0.1 is FIXED. Thank you!!! With 2.1, as long as I set the transparency slider to the far left (opaque), I can click on the tabs (State, Automatic Defrag, Boot Time Defrag, Report) and they bring me to those functions properly.

(FYI and FWIW, if the transparency slider is anywhere other than the far left, the "nonresponsive" problem still occurs.)

I'm now running a "defrag with fast optimize" and it is blinking the status boxes properly in real time. :-)

Regards,

Greg

• 4 months later...

Smart Defrag still hangs

I am a new user of Smart Defrag (version 2.2). I have two computers I am using it on, and one the GUI hangs and the other it works fine.

Both systems are Dell:

Works

• Dell XPS Gen5
  • Windows XP, Sp3
  • Kaspersky Antivirus
  • Nvidia GE Force 6800

Broken

• Dell Inspiron 530
  • Windows XP SP3
  • Kaspersky Antivirus
  • Nvidia GE Force 9500 GT

The one that does not work (Inspiron), I can adjust the transprenecy slider as recommended and it starts working correctly. Otherwise, the display hangs and I cannot access the tabs, change drive letters, or check/uncheck volumes. Basically nothing works.

Archived