IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartDefrag 2.0.1 GUI/Skin unresponsive or buggy

i333bit

UI freeze/no refresh bug still present in 2.2!!!!

Just a quick post to confirm that this god awful #@$^@#$^'ing annoying as hell bug is still present in 2.2 with the newest 285 series nVidia drivers and my nVidia 7600GS video card!! If only the developers would get away from the notion that they have to skin every single app they make then maybe just maybe they could make this one actually usable!!!!!!!!!! GIVE US AN OPTION TO TURN OFF SKINNED MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I USE THIS APP FOR IT'S FUNCTIONALITY NOT FOR IT'S APPEARANCE, BUT WHEN THAT APPEARANCE SEVERELY IMPAIRS THE FUNCTIONALITY AS IT IS DOING IN THIS INSTANCE THEN IT'S CLEARLY TIME TO EITHER POST A MESSAGE LIKE THIS OR FIND SOME OTHER SOFTWARE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (MAYBE EVEN BOTH!!!!!)

v2.2 same bug

I agree with last comment...

I downloaded this program from friend recommendation to give it a try.

GUI was so unresponsive I thought it was doing something in the background

so I disconnected my lan cable just to be sure it was not sending information out, then I checked the CPU activity (99% inactivity)

I then checked the website domain name though WHOIS database to ensure it wasn't a new web site (thoses who are used to distribute virus and other malware stuff)

I'm glad to say this program is fully legit (although I would recommend to be carefull with the install options wich are plagued with added software and toolbar that I wouldn'T recommend to install)

I'm an experienced computer tech but I failed to locate the exact problem.

Run nice on Win7, but GUI is unresponsive on WinXp. Maybe they used DirectX 10 option to make the GUI or other options that aren't fully supported on WinXp (DirectX 9) but one thing for sure I've uninstalled the software and it ain't coming back on my computer.

When I finnally succeeded to make it start, even the refresh of the defrag in progress was stopping from time to time (for several minute) and at the end of the defrag, it was still "stuck" with an OLD version of the Defrag in progress image...

Like I said, I agreee with the last comment: This program is supposed to be a nice utility, I would not even care if it look like old Vb6 program. But the way it is presently, it's UNUSABLE.

• 2 months later...

WinXP and Transparency Issue

Hey, I had this exact same thing using Smart Defrag v 2.0 on WinXP. The issue is with the way the interface can be semi-transparent. The program is still running, but it is not able to refresh the GUI.

Here's how to kick start it to work:

1) Click "Settings" in the upper right.

2) Select the "User Interface" option on the left.

3) Move the "Transparency" slider a little to the right.

4) Click "Recommended" button.

5) Click "OK" button.

Smart Defrag will now work. At least it will work until you try to bring up the GUI again. I don't know why the Transparency option can't be disabled for WinXP. But there is something buggy in the code that causes Smart Defrag to act like it is frozen.

Other IObit software has the same issue on WinXP. Must be some core UI component that no one group is willing to take ownership or be responsible to fix for WinXP. After all , WinXP will be dead in 2009, right? hehehehe

Good luck, and let me know if this helps.

Einstein

Archived