IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Icons missing

pitrpaulus

Good day,

After i installed ASC4 i got two icons on the Desktop-screen. Because i want to keep my Desktop-screen quite empty i moved them to a folder under My Documents.

After a restart the icons in de Start-Menu were missing and were replaced by standard Windows icons. Also in my Documents-folder.

I completely de-installed ASC4 and re-installed but no icons anymore.

Can anyone help me, pls.

Thanks, pitrpaulus

see screenshot pls.

Missing Icons

Default Icons missing

Good day,

After i installed ASC4 i got two icons on the Desktop-screen. Because i want to keep my Desktop-screen quite empty i moved them to a folder under My Documents.

After a restart the icons in de Start-Menu were missing and were replaced by standard Windows icons. Also in my Documents-folder.

I completely de-installed ASC4 and re-installed but no icons anymore.

Can anyone help me, pls.

Thanks, pitrpaulus

see screenshot pls.

Hi pitrpaulus

I have had the same problem with different programs, the only way I could fix it was reinstalling the program, but, have you also tried 'right clicking' where the icon used to be, go into properties, look for change icon, and try and reinstall the icon from there.

Maybe grasping at straws, but might be worth a try? Hopefully somebody more qualified than I will be able to sort it out for you.

Good luck with it!

If the white Icon is on Desktop or in folder, you can also restore icons by right-clicking the Icon, then click 'properties' >>'change Icon' button>> then Double click the selected icon, in selection-option window>> then 'Apply'.

(usually there will be only one icon to select)

I've found that many times you will need to do that sequence Twice for it to work, which is 'Strange but True'.

That will not work for Icons on Task-bar.

Thanks captainron,

Your suggestion '%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Iconcache.db':

Yes, in (my) Windows-7 i can find this folder. But before i delete this folder (8.755 kb!) i want to check what you think wil happen: does it delete ALL MY Icons? What a damage than to restore ...?

Pls. help and then i will delete...

Thanks, pitr paulus

-

frank11 : Yes, i knew this one: The right-click on the icon and than properties etc. lets me choose for another icon but, after permission with administrator-rights, the ASC4 icon is still not there. I tried this for several times. Grrr, computers .....

Thanks for you help and suggestions!

-

If the white Icon is on Desktop or in folder, you can also restore icons by right-clicking the Icon, then click 'properties' >>'change Icon' button>> then Double click the selected icon, in selection-option window>> then 'Apply'.

(usually there will be only one icon to select)

I've found that many times you will need to do that sequence Twice for it to work, which is 'Strange but True'.

Good day Toppack,

I did the seuqence twice, as you suggested and thats works! The missing icons were restored and remain now in the computer.

I found this the best solution. I'm still afraid to deleted the icon-cache, suggested by captainron. I'm so afraid of losing things .... sorry.

Thanks, all you guys, for help and solutions. I will save this discussion for later occasions!

pitrpaulus

I've still not figured out why it needs to be done Twice, to restore the icons.

I suppose it's an incompaibility with Windows and the way some programs create their Icons?

It must be something done wrong, or the Icons would not disappear, in the first place. :lol:

(It makes me wonder if they are stored in the proper location at install?)

Icon Cache

.....I'm still afraid to deleted the icon-cache, suggested by captainron. I'm so afraid of losing things ....

It's good to be cautious :smile:

I have deleted the Icon Cache a few times now and it is always recreated anew by Windows.

Best solution is to copy the Icon Cache file to somewhere like Desktop, My Documents or even a USB Flashdrive.

Delete the Icon Cache file then restart your computer.

If and when the Icon Cache file has been recreated and all is good, delete the copy you made before.

If for some reason the Icon Cache file is not recreated then you can restore the file you copied before.

But, if the Icon Cache file were not recreated this would be a sign of some 'problem' somewhere that should be investigated.

All the best, woz of oz

I've still not figured out figured out why it needs to be done Twice, to restore the icons.

I suppose it's an incompaibility with Windows and the way some programs create their Icons?

It must be something done wrong, or the Icons would not disappear, in the first place. :lol:

(It makes me wonder if they are stored in the proper location at install?)

Because it then correctly inserts the bitmap and meta data into the cache file. It's a very old programming bug in windows dating even back to XP/NT5. It's just not reported or publicized enough to become a real issue like with most companies..

I'm interested in learning how deleting the cache can even potentially break anything..it's just rebuilt by explorer.exe when you restart...to each their own though. It fixes all icon problems in one action..

It's a very old programming bug in windows dating even back to XP/NT5.

If it's a Windows Bug, why don't the icons disappear for All newly installed programs?

(It's actually only a small percentage that do)

That tells me that something is being done Incorrectly by those few software developers, not Windows, since it does not happen with all program installs.

Something probably Changed in Windows but some other programmers did Not Change their routines, to be compatible?

If it's a Windows Bug, why don't the icons disappear for All newly installed programs?

(It's actually only a small percentage that do)

That tells me that something is being done Incorrectly by those few software developers, not Windows, since it does not happen with all program installs.

Something probably Changed in Windows but some other programmers did Not Change their routines, to be compatible?

It's inserted instead of overlay. Bitmap differences could effect it to. To see how it actually works you have to reverse engineer a shared dll used by explorer.exe and some native processes around install management.

It's reported all over the net for everything post-NT5. I've seen it on VM snapshots of OEM RFM installs.

Complicated !!!! :shock:

I can certainly see why some programmers are not getting it Done! :wink:

Is Microsoft keeping the new way Secret or something?

would you make an effort to analyze and be consistent while a mega-corporation was paying you six-figures regardless?

You should see the hilarious, or lacky, comments their senior techs give on some forums. If MS has a technical oversight committee they must be on long vacations...

Good day woz of oz,

Thanks for your help. I followed your instructions and after-all, the computer is working fine now and i saw that the icon cache has been rebuild after reboot.

I will save your message for future situations. Thanks again!

Greetings, pitrpaulus.

Archived