IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartDefrag - unmovable files

KeithKnight

I have the latest version 2.1

Generally I have found this product to be unsurpassed :grin:

During defrag, at the point when the info panel says "compressing rarely used and backup files", all the light blue "free space" blocks change to dark blue "unmovable" blocks. Upon restarting the app and selecting "state C:", it still reports all these blocks as unmovable. How can this be. :?:

Surely it is an error in posting the block colour as it would be a disaster if all these blocks were in fact unmovable. :shock:

I have reinstalled twice and run a repair install of windows and nothing has changed. I refuse to pay for support for a free product, so I hope someone can help. :roll:

Keith Knight

Unmoveable files are Hidden-System, Backup/restore, Zipped, Compressed or Encripted files.

Those type files can Not be defragmented and the average computer has Many files in those catagories.

If you think your unmovables are excessive, after defrag, please post a Screen-capture picture of it.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum KeithKnight :smile:

As Toppack wrote, there are many types of unmovable files.

Also a screenshot would help to show the situation.

If you are unsure how to do a screenshot and post it here, go to Usage of IObit Products - Screenshots and Attachments in the Forum

To capture the screenshot, you can also use FastStone Capture (free version, very handy tool)

According to your Public Profile you have a Compaq presario CQ60-320-SA which a search tells me is a Notebook.

Do you use Hibernate a lot?

I have found that if I turn Hibernate Off then do a full defrag I get less unmovable blocks, then I turn Hibernate back on.

I don't know why this happens, I can only guess that while Hibernate is On those files are somehow 'locked' by Windows.

This might not be a full solution to your situation but it might help, feedback on this would be much appreciated :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi guys,

We are talking about Windows 7 and System Restore files occupy quite large amount of space on the disk and created automatically (even gets larger with defragmentation) all the time and they are unmovable too.

BTW, certainly hibernate file is unmovable as pagefile is and equal to the total RAM.

In Win 7, turning hibernation ON and OFF is different than XP and is as follows.

Enter the following to the elevated command prompt (Run as Admin.) for preferred action.

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

powercfg.exe /hibernate on

If there is a time lag between the above actions, ie. PC is used considerably, the location of the hibernation file on the disk may change.

A screenshot will hep for the analysis of the situation of KeithKnight.

Reading THIS post and the other posts in Pacman Effect thread in ASC4 section and all of Smart Defrag caused this... why? thread in this section may help to understand the situation also.

Cheers.

Archived