IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

XP Virtual Mode Removal

Toppack

We had installed XP Virtual Mode, that comes with Windows-7, on my wife's computer,

but after she learned W-7, I Uninstalled it.

At least I thought I did!

We recently found out that there was Still about 18.GB of Hidden XP-Virtual files that were not Removed. :x

(found them when she ran ASC 'Disk Explorer' utility)

Of course, they are Gone Now! :grin:

Hi Toppack

As you know I still use XP sp3 OS, - but I know several people that use Windows 7 but long for the XP setup.

Where is the XP virtual setup found on their machines, so that I could possibly change the setup for them?

Thanks!

Cheers

solbjerg

We had installed XP Virtual Mode, that comes with Windows-7, on my wife's computer,

but after she learned W-7, I Uninstalled it.

At least I thought I did!

We recently found out that there was Still about 18.GB of Hidden XP-Virtual files that were not Removed. :x

(found them when she ran ASC 'Disk Explorer' utility)

Of course, they are Gone Now! :grin:

Hi Toppack

As you know I still use XP sp3 OS, - but I know several people that use Windows 7 but long for the XP setup.

Where is the XP virtual setup found on their machines, so that I could possibly change the setup for them?

Thanks!

Cheers

solbjerg

Virtual XP was on DVD with W-7 64bit Pro, as an option during Install.

But I think you can download it, from Microsoft, for any W-7 version.

Try here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Note - Realize It's not Real XP, since it puts small mode switchs at top of screen, and she had to reinstall some older programs while in XP-mode, for the new XP to see them properly. Even though those programs ran in W-7.

Generally it works okay though.

You are installing a complete 2nd OS though, so it does need the HD space.

If I remember correctly, she was using about 34.GB (including hidden 18GB) for XP and old XP version software.

Ok, thanks!! Toppack

Cheers

solbjerg

Virtual XP was on DVD with W-7 64bit Pro, as an option during Install.

But I think you can download it, from Microsoft, for any W-7 version.

Try here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Note - Realize It's not Real XP, since it puts small mode switchs at top of screen, and she had to reinstall some older programs while in XP-mode, for the new XP to see them properly. Even though those programs ran in W-7.

Generally it works okay though.

You are installing a complete 2nd OS though, so it does need the HD space.

If I remember correctly, she was using about 34.GB (including hidden 18GB) for XP and old XP version software.

Just FYI guys : XP Mode can only be installed on W7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise versions. It cannot be installed on Home Premium. XP Mode can be downloaded by those who don't have it on their DVD (Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise).

When W7 came out, XP Mode could only be installed on machines that had a Virtualization capable CPU. Most AMD CPUs from recent years have this option already, but many from Intel don't (or didn't, when W7 came out) ; for example, some Core2 Duos and even some Core2 Quads didn't have VT, so XP Mode refused to install. Many months later, Microsoft decided to offer a patch for those who didn't have VT enabled processors, allowing them to install and use XP Mode.

This option comes with a free XP Pro licence, so that's partly why we pay more for Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise versions of W7.

XP Mode was offered as a way of getting some XP fanatics to buy W7, especially those who cried about some of their old (XP) programs, games or peripherals which wouldn't work in W7. Business and high end users, mostly.

Thanks So_sad!

That will save me some time! Most of my friends have the Home version.

The primary reason I haven't bought W7 yet is that the Danish translation of menues and functions are different from the XP version - not a big problem - but irritating.

We are experiencing an indian summer here by me now- so winter is hopefully a bit away :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Just FYI guys : XP Mode can only be installed on W7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise versions. It cannot be installed on Home Premium. XP Mode can be downloaded by those who don't have it on their DVD (Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise).

When W7 came out, XP Mode could only be installed on machines that had a Virtualization capable CPU. Most AMD CPUs from recent years have this option already, but many from Intel don't (or didn't, when W7 came out) ; for example, some Core2 Duos and even some Core2 Quads didn't have VT, so XP Mode refused to install. Many months later, Microsoft decided to offer a patch for those who didn't have VT enabled processors, allowing them to install and use XP Mode.

This option comes with a free XP Pro licence, so that's partly why we pay more for Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise versions of W7.

XP Mode was offered as a way of getting some XP fanatics to buy W7, especially those who cried about some of their old (XP) programs, games or peripherals which wouldn't work in W7. Business and high end users, mostly.

Thanks for Info.

But WHY would anyone Want to install Obsolite software! :roll: :lol:

Hi Toppack, me for example, for testing purposes! :-D

Other purposes are to compare or use as a source for other PCs with XP.

Since I had a problem with my main XP OS in another laptop, I check all the IObit software in that Virtual XP.

Fx., I have it in my Windows7 Pro from the first day. Although the laptop is from XP days with single core, it had the capability of Virtualization as So_sad mentions, but I still have that patch from MS for checking the capability and enabling it if anybody needs.

Cheers.

Hi Toppack, me for example, for testing purposes! :-D

Other purposes are to compare or use as a source for other PCs with XP.

Since I had a problem with my main XP OS in another laptop, I check all the IObit software in that Virtual XP.

From the problems, that my wife had, Virtual-XP may not react to some programs exactly the Same as the old XP.

So, may not be the best to use for testing and comparison purposes.

I never really used it, so don't know for sure.

I only Installed, and then Uninstalled it a few months later, for her.

XP's dreaded File-manager is the Same in Both though.

(I liked 98's File-manager better than XP's, which is why I was so Happy when W-7 was released, since it had option to be more like 98)

I was just Joking about Obsolite software,

I realize there are a few Good reasons for keeping a computer with XP,

But Not Many. :lol:

Archived